A perfect day for a few truckloads of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEATSAW

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Temperature in the low 70s, <5mph breeze, partly cloudy. Ah yes its that time of year again. Was asked by my wife's co-worker to come out to their property and remove some dead trees and that I could have all the wood, of course I was all over that. Especially when I got there and saw they 4 of the 5 were live oaks and the other a hackberry (another great firewood, just less well known perhaps) and they were all fairly large (20" diameter average). I had to break out my Homelite XL924 with 28" bar for 2 of them. Lit myself a fire (for the brush and ambience) and went to work...thankfully I had my 14 yr old daughter there with me for the last few hours to help load the truck and haul brush.

Started off with the hackberry. Had to lay it down between some smaller healthy trees while not taking out a power line and a shed. I used my 7-10A to put it on the ground, my 024S to limb it, and my SL-11A to buck it up. Good wood.
2A7749E5.jpg

My next quarry was this nasty thicket of green briar, old fencing, prickly pear, and mesquite -- but the 3 live oaks in there were worth the hassle. Live oak is arguably the best firewood on this continent and this stuff was good, with no rot.
59E0A970.jpg

Working on 1 of 2 truckloads along with a group picture of my saws.
7E52F48A.jpg

I'm sore and tired but I've been waiting all summer for this. Looks like I'll be spending some quality time tomorrow cleaning up saws, sharpening chains, and admiring my first woodpile of the season. I'll put off splitting and stacking till next week...

Nice

I've been trying to get in the woods here (PNW) but the winds here have been bad :help:

i got probalby 2 cords today of that great oak stuff ended up burning the piston out of my 044 due to a loose carb bolt so now im kinda sad

My wife was giving me a hard time for buying my fourth saw yesterday (well, one isn't running).

I'm going to show her your photo. :msp_biggrin:

I also wanted to add some mental notes I took.

Oregon LPX is awesome. Cuts fast and smooth and is easiest to keep that way after repeated sharpening.

My homelite super xl continues to impress. After rebuilding it over the summer it has achieved proper break in now. Really strong, and surprisingly easy to handle. With a 16" bar I found it to be quite nimble. It's not a modern screamer but the low end grunt puts a smile on my face all the same in those extended buried bar cuts.

Nails and old fencing really, truly piss me off. Within 15 minutes of starting "nailed" one with my 7-10. During a break, I swapped to a brand new chain. 5 minutes later hit some old fencing that had grown into the tree. Wrapped up my chain and sprocket real quick. Took another break and fixed that. Within about another 5 minutes of cutting I found another nail. At this point I took the hint and put the mcculloch away for the day. And interestingly enough no more issues. I guess that's just how it is sometimes.

I need to get a hard hat. I didn't get injured but several times while limbing and bucking I had branches hit me and take off my hat. I might not be so lucky next time.

I like to see a guy that cuts wood with the old anti-vib saws.

Then I saw the disabled vet license plate. Dang tough SOB for sure! :rock:

Yep. Of the saws he used, only the little stihl has any AV at all. Many of us nuts use old non-AV saws for much of the cutting we do. Most of my saws are non-AV. I'm not using them to make a living however...:D

Appreciate the comment, I won't tell my mom :hmm3grin2orange:

The experience and the enjoyment of running the older saws is worth far more to me than whatever gains in performance there are by running the new stuff. Besides I wear good gloves, that counts as AV. I also use a cadre of modern Stihl equipment at my job, so on my personal time its nice to have a change of pace. If I was a NASCAR driver I would have a '70 Chevelle SS for fun...same kinda thing.

It is worth adding, however, that if an 044 or 372xp or *insert any other modern 60cc+ here* appeared in my garage I would run the piss out of it.

Back