2 saw plan for hardwood property

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtysock

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

Been reading and learning a lot here recently. I have some heavily wooded acreage that I like to thin out when I can and need advice on a 2 saw plan. Mostly cedar elm, live oak, pecan and mesquite. Burned up a ms 250 (my mistake) that I had for 17 years. I plan to fall 6-12" trees, occasionally up to 24". Most of the work would be limbing and bucking heavy stuff. I like the idea so far of ms 261 cm and possibly ms 462 cm. Dealer close by I think handles both stihl and husqvarna. I want to run as short of bars as possible. I am 5'10", 170 lbs. I think the 16" on the 261 would be good, no idea on the 462. I am open to suggestions on other brands. Reliability is key followed by performance. Thanks in advance.

Thanks! Any recommendation on b/c for the 462?
I like mine with a 25" but im think a 28" would almost be perfect also, save your lower back and also handle the bigger stuff easier. But im not cutting hardwoods in my area but green fir can be difficult as well at times.

I have only used 3/8 .050 and .058 the stihl light bars i have are .050, even the 32"

I feel like 050 is a much easier chain to find locally and onlin
Appreciate the advice. A couple of questions that may open up a can of worms: I plan to start with the motomix which is 50:1, extends the warranty. After that I plan to mix my own fuel. I always added stabil 360 to everything, but I plan to find ethanol free fuel at 89 or above octane and use something like red armor that is available to me.

Is it a good idea to still add stabilizer to fuel mix?
I've read that a slightly richer mix is advised. Should I stick with 50:1 or go closer to 40:1?

I don't have much experience with different fuels.. I have always used red armor with at least ethanol free 91 or higher and the internals look great. But yes you can go down a rabbit hole very quickly with a fuel discussion here 🤣.

You'll get tons of opinions and advise and lots will be excellent!! However I think the take away will to always use good ethanol free fuel.

I ha e read that the Stihl a d husky mixes are very very dirty. But I can't speak to that myself.

I don't have much experience with different fuels.. I have always used red armor with at least ethenol free 91 or higher and the internals look great. But yes you can go down a rabbit hole very quickly with a fuel discussion here 🤣.

You'll get tons of options and advise and lots will be excellent!! However I think the take away will to always use good ethenol free fuel.

I ha e read that the Stihl a d husky mixes are very very dirty. But I can't speak to that myself.
10-4. I'm thinking to keep everything running I will get ethanol free gas and mix with something like red armor. No stabilizer and only store for 6 months, empty tanks on saws if they sit more than a month. Or maybe just go start them every now and then if they sit for awhile.

The 261/462 combo is pretty great. I ran that for quite a while before I got the 500i. I still haven't sold the 462 like I thought I would...it's nice to have a back up big saw...

I personally like an 18" bar on the 261 and a 25" bar on the 462. It will handle a 28, but IMO that's pretty much it's limit in hardwood. The 500i would run a 28" bar better with not much weight penalty.

If 24" wood or even 30" wood is your max, a 25" bar will work just fine.

I work 40 acres of oak, poplar and hickory, and own a variety of saws...My go-to's always end up being a Stihl MS461 with a 20" or 25" bar for the larger stuff, and an MS261 with an 18" or 20" for the limbing and smaller stuff...They have never let me down...
Thanks, good to hear. Some of the live oak that has been on the ground almost seems petrified. Tough stuff. The chain that stihl lists for the 25 bar is the RS3 (safety). They don't list a rapid. Wondering if that RS3 will cut good.

The 261/462 combo is pretty great. I ran that for quite a while before I got the 500i. I still haven't sold the 462 like I thought I would...it's nice to have a back up big saw...

I personally like an 18" bar on the 261 and a 25" bar on the 462. It will handle a 28, but IMO that's pretty much it's limit in hardwood. The 500i would run a 28" bar better with not much weight penalty.

If 24" wood or even 30" wood is your max, a 25" bar will work just fine.
Thanks. I know some people seem to like a 16" bar on the 261 for weight and maneuverability, maybe it even cuts faster, I don't know.

Lots of good info here. Your plan on fuel is fine. You're also on track with a great 2 saw plan -- 261 and a 462 would be mighty fine. 16" is fine on 261 and two bars for the 462 (24" and 28"?) would work, too.

3/8 .050 for the 462. I generally only run 3/8 .063 on longer bars (28" +). You can run .325 or 3/8 on the 261.

Lots of good info here. Your plan on fuel is fine. You're also on track with a great 2 saw plan -- 261 and a 462 would be mighty fine. 16" is fine on 261 and two bars for the 462 (24" and 28"?) would work, too.

3/8 .050 for the 462. I generally only run 3/8 .063 on longer bars (28" +). You can run .325 or 3/8 on the 261.

I'm running 0.050 3/8 on all my saws (261, 400, 500i) so all my chains are interchangeable. Unless there is something about the wood the OP will be cutting, the 0.050 works fine for the 32" B&C also.

I appreciate all of the replies. I started off here reading about which saw to get to replace my ms 250. I don't mind paying extra for the quality of the 261. I really was just going to get one do it all saw and didn't know what bar size to get. Now, thanks to y'all I am planning to get 2 saws, multiple bars and chains, I'm researching which oils and fuel mixtures, whether or not to modify, get more land, build more shops, etc. Thanks a lot.:D

Latest posts

Back