Upper Michigan (UP) two saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main 2 firewood saws are 45cc ms250 and a 59cc ms362. The 362 can cut 40 inch rounds maybe not as fast as a 70 or 80cc saw but it can cut pretty big stuff. Bigger than I want to pick up. The 362 is light enough for me to run it in combo with the 250 and be able to use it all day long I'm not racing with anyone cutting firewood. When my buddy helps me he has a 660 and might take a slight lead but I can walk him down easily as my 362 is more manageable the longer we run and it is just never that far behind anyways. When I put the 362 down and get my 250 he usually grabs my 362 and leaves me his 660. Then he catches up. But he is a bigger fella than me I'm 6 foot 190 he is 6'3 and about 250.

Because I'm good at splitting big rounds and have tools to do so. Read each round for knots before you start.

If I have to, I break out the 20-lb sledge. Most big stuff, if the maul gets stuck I use it as a wedge and drive with the 8-lb sledge, and/or add a steel wedge. Not much that won't split with 2 mauls and 3-4 steel wedges.

I've never owned a splitter either. Been chopping/burning cordwood since the 1970s.

Door on my stove is 16 X 20". Seldom can't I split knotty crap down that far. Those are the all nighters.

Cool

Sounds like a good strategy.

I prefer to use the saw when It makes life easier

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

Something is wrong with that 660 if a 362 is keeping up.
Nah it's just that the 660 wears on you more. Working in the woods that 5 extra pounds just isn't as maneuverable doesn't balance as well I make up time being able to walk more efficiently. As the limbs get smaller the 362 cuts just as fast. Now if I were felling pines with very few branches yeah he would walk me.

Nearly 40 with what I’d call an average back. Here’s a link to my introduction post with a bunch more info if you’re interested https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/introduction-and-feedback-desired.347438/
The last 5 or so years I lived in the UP I cut all my firewood with a Stihl Ms260. To the tune of 24 or more cords per year.
Your existing Ms261 is really all you need.
An ideal setup for the UP firewooder is something like a MS400 or 362XP.
If you just got the ich for a new saw I would sell the 261 and buy one of those and be done with it.
Which county are you in?

The last 5 or so years I lived in the UP I cut all my firewood with a Stihl Ms260. To the tune of 24 or more cords per year.
Your existing Ms261 is really all you need.
An ideal setup for the UP firewooder is something like a MS400 or 362XP.
If you just got the ich for a new saw I would sell the 261 and buy one of those and be done with it.
Which county are you in?
No doubt. I'm just south of the bridge and a lot of people around here heat exclusively with wood. Most of them own one saw, and very few of them are over 60cc's.

I've always wondered why sthil had a 391 with more cc than a pro 362 and so close to the same hp I wonder how many 362 sales they have lost to the 391. My step dad has a ms311 and my 362 is just ever so slightly faster. I would imagine the 391 would be so close you couldn't hardly tell without a video.

I've always wondered why sthil had a 391 with more cc than a pro 362 and so close to the same hp I wonder how many 362 sales they have lost to the 391. My step dad has a ms311 and my 362 is just ever so slightly faster. I would imagine the 391 would be so close you couldn't hardly tell without a video.
I don't know about the 391 as I have never laid hands on one. However the 390 was a turd. The 362 is kinda of a turd too, but I'd rather it than a 390.

Here’s the best video I could find

Holy cow, I can’t believe how many crappy wood spitting videos there are! Most of them are complete crap!
The one I shared is not bad, I never figured out the wrist flinging thing and don’t really think it helps.

if you get a Fiskars splitting axe and ISOCORE maul you should have no problem unless the wood is really knotty . In that case don’t waste your time after 4-5 swings

I know this is an old thread, but I had to respond. The rounds in that video are not "big". Unless it was full of knots, or it was red elm, I'd split rounds that size down the middle with an ax. Normally, rounds that size get split into 4 or 5 pieces before they go into my furnace. If it was red elm, or had knots in it, I'd just use my hydraulic splitter (shoulder doesn't like the 8 lb maul any more). Big rounds are rounds that I can't lift onto the splitter. That typically starts around 24" Depending on the grain, the species, and the weather, some of those get split by hand and others get noodled.

Yes, but the 391 is a lot heavier. In weight, it's comparable to an 80cc pro saw, but its missing the extra 16cc. Heavier than the 461, less power than the 361/362.

Take that 361 and put a drum and drive bearing from a 441 so you can run standard spline rims. Switch to an 18" bar with .325 RSC chain. Run it with a 9 pin rim, drop your drag links to about .040", and keep your chain sharp. You won't keep up with the .660, but in wood that's under 16" you'll come really close.

probably the 400 I like the best? The 500 is amazing and it’s pretty heavy. I know a lot of guys will argue that it’s only 1lb heavier. I agree, it’s 1lb heavier!

The light weight is why I like my 362 if the 400 were an option when I bought mine I would of bought the 400 but I'm happy with my 362 it's done all I've asked it to. Cut down and cut up several tree's that were 40 plus inches.

I know this is an old thread, but I had to respond. The rounds in that video are not "big". Unless it was full of knots, or it was red elm, I'd split rounds that size down the middle with an ax. Normally, rounds that size get split into 4 or 5 pieces before they go into my furnace. If it was red elm, or had knots in it, I'd just use my hydraulic splitter (shoulder doesn't like the 8 lb maul any more). Big rounds are rounds that I can't lift onto the splitter. That typically starts around 24" Depending on the grain, the species, and the weather, some of those get split by hand and others get noodled.
One time I got about half a 24 cord log truck load of red oak and Sugar Maple "cull" logs. At the time red oak prices were very low and the majority of the oak was saw log grade and over 36"! The maple had some goon sticks, but it was even bigger because the particular mill wouldnt except logs over 32". Talk about a pain in the ass to deal with.

One time I got about half a 24 cord log truck load of red oak and Sugar Maple "cull" logs. At the time red oak prices were very low and the majority of the oak was saw log grade and over 36"! The maple had some goon sticks, but it was even bigger because the particular mill wouldnt except logs over 32". Talk about a pain in the ass to deal with.
I've gotten a few like that in the past. Normally it was a large trunk that had a few feet trimmed off the bottom. Big enough that nobody else could cut it, and didn't want to mess with it. I normally noodle them and skip the splitter entirely because they are one BIG knot. They are a lot of work, but they make great firewood.

My 7-saw plan is now a 2-saw plan. Both Husqvarna saws. Nothing against Stihl as they are great machines.

Saw #1 is a 372XP (small saw)
Saw #2 is a 592XP (big saw)

Current bar sizes are 20" 24" 28" 32" and 36". This meets all my requirements -- with the exception of "impulse buys"

JQ

I've gotten a few like that in the past. Normally it was a large trunk that had a few feet trimmed off the bottom. Big enough that nobody else could cut it, and didn't want to mess with it. I normally noodle them and skip the splitter entirely because they are one BIG knot. They are a lot of work, but they make great firewood.
Soon of the maple was like that, but some of it was nice. The oak was all very nice.
I noodles most of the rounds in at least half to split them. Just easier on the back.

Latest posts

Back