A proud day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 12-year old son's first time running a saw. I set him up with my 026 and 16" bar, about 15 minutes of safety and operating instructions, and PPE. He ran almost a full tank through it and did great. I had him clean up the saw for me after it cooled down. He is hooked for life.

Got to get them started early, that way they get more years of enjoying saws. I did not run my first saw until I was in my late teens or early 20's, dad never did much cutting. Started with a Husqvarna 51, then several 51s, then a 272xp, then a 268, then a 285cd converted to a 2100, then a 2100 and I could go on but it gets a little boring after a while. Now I just hoard everything that even looks like a saw.

Congrats!! Your a good daddy!!
Get him a new Jonsered 2153 with a red bow on it for Christmas. Can you imagine how pretty that johnnyred would look under a Christmas tree?!?!:)

Very cool. I think 12 is a good age to teach kids (boys and girls both) to use and respect tools of all kinds. It looks like you're setting him up well, safety wise. Good habits for him now will pay big dividends later on.

My old man was a logger and cutting contractor in the big woods of coastal Oregon. He started running a Mall 4MG when he was 8 with his two brothers. Of course that was in 1956. :)

My 12-year old son's first time running a saw. I set him up with my 026 and 16" bar, about 15 minutes of safety and operating instructions, and PPE. He ran almost a full tank through it and did great. I had him clean up the saw for me after it cooled down. He is hooked for life.

Makes ya feel good does'nt it. I know it makes me feel good to see a saw in my son's hands.(even though my hand is still on it for now)

That is very cool! My boys are almost 2 and 4 years old. I have a while to go before that day but my 14 year old daughter is allready running my Ryobi. Oh and rep sent!

Good for you that's a great thing to do for a child. He will learn a lot for you. If that youngen needs to practice tote him on up here to the woods and I'll let him run all the saws he wants to.
Joe

That is great!!!!

Timewarp back to the early 1970's when I was his age...We didnt know anything about PPE....I really do think thats why Im half deaf frm being around and runnin Mcc's back then...
My Dad and I was really close,,and we had a many enjoyable times in the woods together...He wouldnt let me limb but would let me buck logs up....Just wait till he fall his first tree, and then your screwed....Dad?? can I have a Stihl pro or a Husky xp for Christmas......LOL!!!

Rep sent for anything you take time out and "Teach" your kids about living !

My boys get excited when they "earn" wood splittin time with dad. Something about driving in the bed of the dually and mucking around in the woods and smelling 2stroke mix just draws out the "man" in 'em. They know how much dad loves it and they know they should too. Man it's hard to wipe the smile off my face when I see them boys sit with full attention when I ask them "where do you stand when daddy has the saw in hand? How to you approach daddy when he has a saw in hand" ...they sit there like it's a Nickelodian movie and listen to 2stroke music videos :chainsaw::greenchainsaw:

Brings back fond memories of 15+ years back, with #2 son at wood-cutting party in the Berkshires. (Some stuff really sticks with you.)
He was game to try running my little Echo. After about 20 min. safety lecture, then q&a, he put on PSE on arrival, demonstrated he understood, passed scrutiny of man-in-charge.,
He ran that thing for about 4 hrs as folks dropped pieces into sawbuck for him.

(Please note absence of silly political swipes or sloganeering. Ditto discussions of religion.)

Now he wants his own saw for Christmas

Now he wants a saw for Christmas. It's not totally out of the question. I would rather take our time finding another old Stihl to fix up so he can learn how to repair them, than just buying a little MS170 or something.

Thanks for all the rep and support, y'all.:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back