A question for the saw builders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have rebuilt 5 different saws and enjoy firing up one for the first time after a fresh rebuild. I have lurked on this site and others trying to read and learn more. I also watched some YouTube videos from Mastermind. I am trying to wrap my head around how one of these saws suck and exhaust air. I watched Masterminds' video today of how he measures timing numbers on You Tube. It made me wonder what the numbers mean to the saw builders. After getting the stock numbers builders are changing the numbers by lowering or raising the intake and exhaust but I don't really understand making changes to the transfers. I understand cutting the squish band to get it set at 20 thousandths. I also realize that cutting the squish band and the base to set the squish will change the timing numbers When you measure the stock numbers are they used as reference to what you need to getting timing numbers back to after squish band work? If not how do you decide what the numbers need to be? Hopefully I worded my questions right and everyone understands what I am asking. The reason I am trying to learn is I want to do more than just repair my saws. I want to understand how and why porting is the key to making power. My goal here is to woods port a saw and have it run great. My saw I want to port is a Husqvarna 51. I have two so I want to use one as a learning tool. My goal is to measure all my timing numbers, measure squish and adjust as necessary, figure out what I want to change the timing numbers to and port as necessary. I will have to have someone else cut the squish band as I have very little experience on a lathe but I prefer to do as much as I can on my own. Thank You for taking the time to read this big bunch of words.

When you do what Randy has suggested, (setup a degree wheel) and look for yourself what these numbers mean. You can slowly piece together all the info that is at your fingertips on this site.

I have bugged a few members here, picking their experience to gleen the info they have. It didn't sink in until I broke into these things and looked for myself. I'm learning and still bugging people here.

Start a thread on porting your saw........after you read up and understand how to setup a degree wheel.
I should have mentioned that in my first post that I watched both your videos on setting up and using a degree wheel. Thanks for taking the time to make all of your videos as they are very informative.

Back