A question for the saw builders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a nearly full build video of a 372xt coming soon...but after this thread. ...I'm feeling like I'm way out of my league.

The vid will describe some simple stuff and some more advanced as well

Thanks to all who have posted on youtube describing their techniques. ..tips...and tricks!

I feel the same as you....
I haven't been on here for long and I don't post much, but I am on every day and read and search as much as I can.

It seems to me that once all the old Data was lost, and there was a big jump in technical data. So all the guys that have been doing it for a long time moved on and advanced.

I try to read every build thread out there, and to all of you that do them Thank You. What I would really like to see is a build up of a saw from the simplest mod to the more advanced.

I know this would take a lot of time and money for someone to do, but I think it would help a lot of people.

Thanks, Brian

When I found this site very few people were willing to share info on modding. A lot of what was shared was wrong by design. There were people here that would give you bad info on purpose.

I've tried to share any aspect of what I've learned........but my way is not the only way that will work.

I started out using saws I found on the cheap to grind on. That allowed me to develop the ability to use the burr before I moved onto more expensive saws.

That's the best way to learn.........jump in with both feet.

Sage words. Somebody had to at some point. I often wondered about the native who wandered out and discovered medicinal or food plants. Someone took the plunge. The guy trying mushrooms probably wondered why he was on Mars. But relentless trial and error and sheer accident has brought us every step forward in humanity. Was it Magoo Chandler or David Bailey that first started inverting his forks to keep contamination out to find that the bikes landed and handled better?

What if.......???? That's the foundation of innovation.

I've tried to share any aspect of what I've learned........but my way is not the only way that will work.
That is what has drawn me to this whole community. I always played around with cars and in them circles if you ask the WHY and HOW questions you would think you where asking for there first born.
I'm truly grateful to how much all of you share from what you have worked so hard to learn.

I don't build saws, but I enjoy the threads about saw building. I have learned a lot from these threads and definitely have enjoyed running some of these saws after they are built.

I was just doing them by "eye" before, clipping a little off of the top of the exhaust and floor of the intake. Mostly I got great result because I was Very conservative with making changes. Do learn the degree wheel methods as it will tell you exactly how far to go and give you a definitive measurement. This way you can achieve repeatable results from one saw to the next, and learn what works.... and what does not.
Now for a huge shout out for those that have helped me and others as well..... Thank you To Mastermind, Tlandrum, Wiggs, and mdvalee. I hope I didn't miss any one.

When I found this site very few people were willing to share info on modding. A lot of what was shared was wrong by design. There were people here that would give you bad info on purpose.
I found Timberwolf's many built threads to be very helpful. He was a genius. He helped me get on my feet more than anyone else. It's a shame he's not around any more.

Who gave bad info on purpose? That's a new one to me.

I found Timberwolf's many built threads to be very helpful. He was a genius. He helped me get on my feet more than anyone else. It's a shame he's not around any more.

Who gave bad info on purpose?
Brian was a real smart guy. I wish he was still around to talk with.

I started out using saws I found on the cheap to grind on. That allowed me to develop the ability to use the burr before I moved onto more expensive saws.

The Answer is Pie.

Moobs, do you do Apprenticeships?

My best advice is to get some cheap saws and play - you can learn a lot, and have a lot of fun doing it (if doing the work interests you), at pretty much no cost and no worry about risking an expensive tool. That's one reason I'm messing around with cheap Poulans - if I trash an engine I will find another one on eBay before too long. There are some mechanical differences between clamshells and engines with separate jugs, but the operating principles are the same. And of course there are common and cheap saws that are not clamshells too.

Who gave bad info on purpose? That's a new one to me.

I remember Brian catching hell for sharing info with you.......then the cleanup crews were very active in spreading crap around.

Your memory and mine are always two totally different things though. :laugh:

I'm not surprised that you don't recall those things.

Sage words. Somebody had to at some point. I often wondered about the native who wandered out and discovered medicinal or food plants. Someone took the plunge. The guy trying mushrooms probably wondered why he was on Mars. But relentless trial and error and sheer accident has brought us every step forward in humanity. Was it Magoo Chandler or David Bailey that first started inverting his forks to keep contamination out to find that the bikes landed and handled better?

What if.......???? That's the foundation of innovation.
Must of been Bailey cause Danny was always too busy having fun to think ! He was a WILD mountain boy that one.

I'm not surprised that you don't recall those things.
Always got to throw your jabs in don't you. Sad:angry: The sad thing is that you've become what you use to hate. Dragging up ancient history and slinging mud.

The fact of the matter is that detailed build threads were a common thing around here LONG before you came around. Matter of fact, I'd say that a lot more was shared more freely, because of a lack of fear of retribution from those that think they know better than anyone else. Yes, you've contributed a lot, but don't try to act like you're so special. I find your arrogance nauseating. It's nothing but marketing.

Your post is nothing less than an insult to all those that came before you...including myself.

Always got to throw your jabs in don't you. Sad:angry: The sad thing is that you've become what you use to hate. Dragging up ancient history and slinging mud.

The fact of the matter is that detailed build threads were a common thing around here LONG before you came around. Matter of fact, I'd say that a lot more was shared more freely, because of a lack of fear of retribution from those that think they know better than anyone else. Yes, you've contributed a lot, but don't try to act like you're so special. I find your arrogance nauseating. It's nothing but marketing.

Your post is nothing less than an insult to all those that came before you...including myself.

Do you need some Midol?

Brad, I'm not sure how you got your panties all twisted up again, but if it's something I said......I am sorry. I'm not gonna walk around on egg shells here hoping not to rile you up.

Maybe you need to get some Valium Bradley........

Ok, lets get this train back on track...been a good thread so far. Just reread the OP's question.... which was ...how do you decide on timing numbers? Yes, I have a degree wheel, but that don't mean squat without know what timing to set the exhaust to....

I understand that this has been sorta answered...ie... the black majic comment, but its still frustrating. Are there any tables ...or a reference for particular saws? ie, the 346xp, at this point, I would have to assume that between all the builders, DD, MM, Brad, tlandrum, treemonkey etc, that someone would start honing in on some general numbers that work for that saw.... or at least that particular cylinder. and why aren't they posted in a wiki somewhere? did I miss something? the OP hasn't posted in a while....is this getting the train back on track?

Brad, I'm not sure how you got your panties all twisted up again, but if it's something I said......I am sorry. I'm not gonna walk around on egg shells here hoping not to rile you up.

Maybe you need to get some Valium Bradley........
Muh Pannies is ina bunch cause you don't take no Floor Sweeper Applications.

Bradgina's stays Ina bunch ;)

Back