A question for you professional loggers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great series. It also seems to give an honest look into how the shovel/highlead style logging works. As a midwesterner I,ve only seen pictures and video. Sometime down the road id love to haul pack for a faller for a day or two. Get a little closer look.

Axe men is the worst crap I have ever seen. I hate the way they are making loggers look to the out side world. It is a danger job and it deserves more respect. Logging has a long wonderful history in this country. I'm sorry I just have respect for the guys that have worked for a long time to be good in this industry.

Take a look at this. It takes a while to wade through it but it's well worth the time. There are several videos in the series. It's a lot more realistic than that goofy AxMen garbage.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TCTFLA1tulE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for the vid, glad to see how it really works.

Take a look at this. It takes a while to wade through it but it's well worth the time. There are several videos in the series. It's a lot more realistic than that goofy AxMen garbage.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TCTFLA1tulE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was a cool movie, well worth watching. The faller's 044 was a stout sounding saw too. I like the grousing about $1/gallon diesel!

Unless you have ever logged in the North west.you don't know loggin.cuttin old growth and high lead loggin will make a man out of anyone of they can make the first couple weeks.

yupers.
attachment.php

Hey! What are you guys doing up behind my folks place? Taking a field trip down here and not telling me? Seriously, That looks like parts of Beals Creek, Basin Ck and Timbered Rock area. Steep enough you can spit from one side to the other from the landing. Lots of good hunting though, no one would get off the road and venture into the timber.

The more parallel you get, the easier gravity work. :jester:

Follow the lines...into the draw. Looks like they go down a long way.

If I bailed off the side of that landing more than a couple of times, the seat of my pants would wear out quickly. When things get steep and scary, butt slide! Hopefully you can find a few sprigs of vegetation to grab onto. Looks like the left side is gentler. Looks like the other side would take a rope to get down.

I don't miss that.

Last edited:
How could you not miss that???? That is what high lead is all about the steep ass hills we have logged is only one of the many thrills one can only experience with a passion for this kind of stuff.I Love it!!! Wouldn't trade it for anything

I don't miss trying to find a way through a rocky bluff, hoping not to slip, heels dug in. Nope, I like a little less dramatic slopes. I do miss the not as steep stuff. But not the vertical slopes.

I think a new thread is in order. I'll start one today. Unfortunately, I didn't pack a camera around with me then, it was too steep and gnarly.

I was telling a guy about sliding down fire hoses when we did broadcast burns. His eyes got big. We always gave the hose a good tug to make sure it was still hooked up before going down. The old growth clearcutting usually nuked the nice huckleberry and vine maple handholds.

If I remember correctly that is the last sled mounted yarder Simpson used before going to steel towers so that was from the Grisdale country on the Olympic Peninsula. Got it in the Grisdale book back home.

If I remember correctly that is the last sled mounted yarder Simpson used before going to steel towers so that was from the Grisdale country on the Olympic Peninsula. Got it in the Grisdale book back home.
like this one
attachment.php

With today's price for parts I would HATE to have to buy those brake bands layin' on the back of that sled!:msp_scared:

like this one
attachment.php

I don't know. In the Grisdale book they only show the pic of the yarder on the landing.Unfortunately I don't have the book here in Idaho it's at home. I have seen that pic before and always seen it referenced to the Olympic Peninsula and Simpson. Did they use an OR pic for a WA book? Wouldn't be the first time.

That pickup behind the yarder has a red hood. Simpson's colors back then were red? Do you have some Simpson pics Pac? :cool2:

Latest posts

Back