a real chainsaw chain mill problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemarty

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i am only geting two cuts with my ripping chains. Cuts are in osage orange. Hardest wood in the lower 48. I am cutting 14 wide two thick 6 foot long. I am using a 42 inch pro topbar on an alaskan mill , new stihl 088. Brand new 25 feet of ripping chain from cutters choice. It reads laszer on chain. Can some body make me a chain that works on hard wood? Or am I asking to much. Any help advice would be great.:angry:

G'day,

I am not familiar with the wood youre cutting, but if its that hard, dulling the chain after 2 cuts might be right. Perhaps when the chain was modified, they heated the cutters up to much, which means it wont hold an edge - just the problem youre having.
Other than trying another chain, theres not much you can do. See about trying the Oregon rip chain - probably the 27RA (.063 .404 full skip).
Try the chain in a softer wood and see how you go, youll soon know if its still dulling fast.
Hope this helps, let us know how you go.
Cheers
Charlie.

I have found in my limited experience with 3-4 different brands that the Stihl chisel chain holds an edge better than the less expensive chains. I have had horrible experience with a type of 'lazer' chain (had a "Z" on the side of the straps) and my dealer sells Stihl and Oregon.

Keep in mind that I haven't field tested various brands, cause I was always happy with the Stihl chain. I also have been out of the business for almost 2 years and I'm just now getting back into climbing.

Dull chains create friction. Friction generates heat. Heat stretches chains. If my chain needs adjustment, it needs touching up also. I trimmed 23 palms and cut down 5 more Sat. with my climbing saw, adjusted my chain once all day. 2 strokes with the file and I finished the day with no more sag.:cool:

Hardest wood in the lower 48

I don't have any experience with ripping chains but I do know that osage orange is hard. It's mostly called bodoc around here. I believe that wood is used to make bows. Seems like you ought to be able to get more than two cuts though?

Get a loop of full skip Oregon RA (if you can find it)or Stihl RSF full skip ripping chain.

Oh yes, and use lots of chain/bar oil.

Last edited:
Check with the pro's

Hi Joemarty, Email John Walker at walker saw shop he seems very knowledgable about chainsaw mills. I just ordered a new 394 XPG for my home made mill. I plan on slicing up some Indiana Hardwoods. I hope to get more than two passes per chain!! Good Luck
The Hoosier

Joemarty, I personally use Oregon 91r..3/8 .050 low profile..I have spent alot of time on the Jonsered chainsaw mill, but granted not alot of time with hardwoods...the only hardwood I have cut is birch, and I dont know how that compares to what you are cutting....someone mentioned excessive oil...good call..hopefully you arent concerned with a little stain on the wood..(red chain oil)...
but it does seem like only 2 cuts is a little on the lean side...

G'day Kevin,

The only Pros I know of hang out on street corners late at night, but I really dont have the legs for it.....
Cheers
Charlie.

Laser saw chain

That Laser saw chain is manufactured by Sabre (a division of John Deere) which by-the-way just went out of business. Nothing to do with the quality of their chain- just corporate American bottom line thinking- "non core" business for the big green JD along with the Homelite buyout and later catastrophy... The chain should be fine... That wood may be extremely abrasive and dulling your chain... BTY I think I sold you that GB Pro-Top bar didn't I... ??

http://www.sabrechain.com/

jsikkeman1

When did JD close out their saw chain division? I know they sold Homelite but was under the impression the would continue to manufacture and sell the Sabre saw chain.

Sabre

I think that JD tried to sell the Homelite and Sabre divisions seperately. I tried to do a little research and information gathering but I wasn't able to find any info on the net regarding the chain mfg. I heard that they sold the Homelite division, as many of you know but never was able to get a buyer for the chain mfg div. On the chain side, I heard that after no deal for a buyer of the chain plant, they closed the plant and liquidated some of the equipment. There was some inventories of chain in their warehouse which got bought up real quick. Maybe some one else has more details...

Jeff

A man emailed me wanting to sell me 100 foot roll of ore 27ra 404/.063 for 498.00 plus 10.00 for shipping. Or would i be better off with a couple carbon chains.link price is 0.336 per link. Any thoughts from the master would be great.:confused:

My own personal thoughts on this would be to get one loop and try it.
Resharpen it with a file once it`s dull and try it again.
If you`re happy with the way it cuts before and after it`s been sharpened then you might want to purchase more of it.
I have a few loops of various milling chain that I bought before I discovered 72 and 73RA.
It`s junk and I was a fool for buying it but I was smart enough not to buy a lot of it.

RA is made by Oregon and I can only buy it through my Husqvarna dealer.
I`m using 3/8 pitch, it`s full skip with the top plate ground to 15o.
When I sharpen the chain I file the top plate to 10o and give it a 10o side plate hook.
I`ve been using it on my 262 Husqvarna and my Stihl 066.
It works great out of the box and keeps on working after it`s been filed.
Slabberman has some 27RA but I don`t know if he has used it yet.

Latest posts

Back