A Strange saw branded as Makita

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatherwheels

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It didn't take long, welcome to the new Makita / Chikita.
At 6.48 the branding is clear to see,

On another Makita note, would any of you buy a new DCS5121.
The spec says 3.3hp, where as the the EA5000 is a little more, but it has a cat
which may cut back on hp, does the DCS5121 have a cat.

Looks like a Chinese knock-off.
if it’s a real Dolmar / Makita, it’s a good saw. If it’s a CCC saw….
It looks like an Echo knock off, China made, Makita end production of their gas
saws at the end of this year anyway, so it didn't take long for the pretenders to begin cashing in
on the name.

I don't know, but I would not like to meet the Makita lawyers, seems like who ever is behind that
video does not mind the prospect, worst of all, it doesn't even look like a copy of any Makita I
have seen, just the name caught my eye.

about 8 min in, the saw is running halfway open without him depressing the trigger/throttle?! Some kind of “lock on” mechanism?! Is makita going to stop their battery saws too? Just bought a 18v top handle of climbing and general light use - love it

Why do some try to install bar and chain working against gravity ? No wonder there is a island of plastic in the middle of pacific with all the packing
that idle is set high too-probably stall if any lower.

about 8 min in, the saw is running halfway open without him depressing the trigger/throttle?! Some kind of “lock on” mechanism?! Is makita going to stop their battery saws too? Just bought a 18v top handle of climbing and general light use - love it
Yes, odd how it runs at half throttle without any input, and no, Makita only stopping gas saw production.

5121 is the open port version of the 5000, and has aluminum cases rather than magnesium. In Canada it has a cat - don't know about the rest of the world. 5121 should be every bit as durable and reliable as the 5000, and almost all the parts interchange.

5121 is the open port version of the 5000, and has aluminum cases rather than magnesium. In Canada it has a cat - don't know about the rest of the world. 5121 should be every bit as durable and reliable as the 5000, and almost all the parts interchange.
Thanks for posting, how does the aluminum hold up to ethanol in comparison to magnesium.

510/5121 are the"homeowner" version of the 5100/5105/5000.

510: open port cylinder, Spur drive drum, aluminum case, 3.3hp

5105: closed port cylinder, magnesium case, rim drive drum, 3.9hp

Everything else is the same including a cat muffler on both

Thanks for posting, how does the aluminum hold up to ethanol in comparison to magnesium.
I think the aluminum will be just fine. Obviously Makita (Dolmar) thinks it's okay, as do pretty much all automobile manufacturers these days. That said, leaving ethanol fuel sitting for extended periods so it can absorb moisture will not be good for either type of metal.

I think the aluminum will be just fine. Obviously Makita (Dolmar) thinks it's okay, as do pretty much all automobile manufacturers these days. That said, leaving ethanol fuel sitting for extended periods so it can absorb moisture will not be good for either type of metal.
Or may be that is why they are stopping production, because the powers that be are planning on upping the ethanol content to 85% or maybe 100%.
That would make some sense of why small engine manufacturers are bailing out, stopping production, the smallest
engines just happen to be two stroke and to make them immune to the damage caused by more and more ethanol content,
is probably not financially viable.
People only think there is too much plastic on their saws, wait until the plastic carb and pipes are added if indeed
two stroke survives at all.
May be there is an opportunity out there for the modders, make us plastic carbs so they survive the ethanol challenge.

Or may be that is why they are stopping production, because the powers that be are planning on upping the ethanol content to 85% or maybe 100%.
That would make some sense of why small engine manufacturers are bailing out, stopping production, the smallest
engines just happen to be two stroke and to make them immune to the damage caused by more and more ethanol content,
is probably not financially viable.
People only think there is too much plastic on their saws, wait until the plastic carb and pipes are added if indeed
two stroke survives at all.
May be there is an opportunity out there for the modders, make us plastic carbs so they survive the ethanol challenge.
2 strokes will survive just fine on E85.... assuming they are tuned for. We went over this at our last echo training class. Ethanol is fine in 2 strokes provided it is tuned for the amount of ethanol. Tuning for 10% or less ethanol is drastically different from the running required for even as little as 20%

2 strokes will survive just fine on E85.... assuming they are tuned for. We went over this at our last echo training class. Ethanol is fine in 2 strokes provided it is tuned for the amount of ethanol. Tuning for 10% or less ethanol is drastically different from the running required for even as little as 20%
Not on about tuning, on about corrosion that is caused by ethanol and the water it draws in, read that the higher the ethanol content
the bigger the problem. And if you drain the system for storage, there is a dry corrosion that happens too, it all effects the aluminum
in the carb, but with the ever growing levels of ethanol it will effect the casings too.

Not on about tuning, on about corrosion that is caused by ethanol and the water it draws in, read that the higher the ethanol content
the bigger the problem. And if you drain the system for storage, there is a dry corrosion that happens too, it all effects the aluminum
in the carb, but with the ever growing levels of ethanol it will effect the casings too.
Echo has been trying pre corroded(can't think of the name of it) carbs for a couple years now.

The fuel line is the only real hang up. Walbro has some diaphragms that hold up to ethanol supposedly.

Ethanol is a good thing for my shop, without it our repairs would probably drop by 50% or more and I personally avoid it by using rec 90 in everything small engine.

1. Look at dude's nails. Doubtful he has ever run a chainsaw before. Certainly hasn't ever mounted a bar and chain on a powerhead before.
2. Magic throttle on that Chi-Com bad-boy. Mysterious 1/2 throttle settings and "hands-off" RPM creep.
3. Quality break-in advice.
4. Nice safety gear. Clearly, the facemask was kevlar.
5. Why didn't my new Husqvarna come with a bottle and funnel?

Echo has been trying pre corroded(can't think of the name of it) carbs for a couple years now.

The fuel line is the only real hang up. Walbro has some diaphragms that hold up to ethanol supposedly.

Ethanol is a good thing for my shop, without it our repairs would probably drop by 50% or more and I personally avoid it by using rec 90 in everything small engine.

I won't pry Nate, hoping you got the shop / insurance thing sorted, last I heard they were being a real pain.
Fair play to Echo for investing in the problem, am sure the bigger players are too, if ethanol based fuel is to
continue, which am sure it will. There are quite a few I just call them plastics which can handle ethanol no problem,
would be nice to see the main carb body made from this, needle and filter could easily be made of a more ethanol
resistant metal, less work but still a good balance between replacing a corroded carb and not having to, better for
the environment too if a carb can last longer. But what about the cases on the saws, how will they hold up when
85 and a 100% ethanol all we can get.

Plastic pipes are all I see on cars now, where they were once steel, steel is not a good choice where ethanol is concerned.
Older cars with cast iron valve guides suffer too, hardened steel ones are available for some models only.
Ethanol un-solders the joints of copper brass and steel piping, it un-solders the old floats too, which were too halves soldered together.
The car world has moved on quite a bit to address these issues by using the plastics as I call them, and harder more exotic
metals. More profit in a car than a chainsaw though.
Makita / and Kogi were more into electric equipment, they bought their way into the chainsaw market through obtaining Dolmar and Tanaka,
and now both have pulled out, has me wondering why, whats coming that they don't care to address.

Back