A Strange saw branded as Makita

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the aluminum will be just fine. Obviously Makita (Dolmar) thinks it's okay, as do pretty much all automobile manufacturers these days. That said, leaving ethanol fuel sitting for extended periods so it can absorb moisture will not be good for either type of metal.
Ethanol reacts with both aluminum and magnesium to make alkoxides, they react with water too. Water makes aluminum hydroxide. E10 pulls moisture into fuel from air when it is humid, enough water it will separate into a water and organic phase. The water phase will not have any mix oil in 2-stroke mix, but will have ethanol, so 2-stroke will not get lubrication running the water phase but will run on the ethanol.

Ethanol also reacts with moisture/air to make a snot like substance that fouls fuel systems.

My tractors from 1940 (9N ford)-1970s never had have a carb rebuild, until they ran some E10. Carbs were full of snot when ran on E10. Except cars that get fuel run through every day, no E10 in my equipment.

Ethanol reacts with both aluminum and magnesium to make alkoxides, they react with water too. Water makes aluminum hydroxide. E10 pulls moisture into fuel from air when it is humid, enough water it will separate into a water and organic phase. The water phase will not have any mix oil in 2-stroke mix, but will have ethanol, so 2-stroke will not get lubrication running the water phase but will run on the ethanol.

Ethanol also reacts with moisture/air to make a snot like substance that fouls fuel systems.

My tractors from 1940 (9N ford)-1970s never had have a carb rebuild, until they ran some E10. Carbs were full of snot when ran on E10. Except cars that get fuel run through every day, no E10 in my equipment.
Is that the Ford ferguson and ford fell out about, ford copied the three point hitch draft control or something.

Plastic pipes are all I see on cars now, where they were once steel, steel is not a good choice where ethanol is concerned.
Older cars with cast iron valve guides suffer too, hardened steel ones are available for some models only.
Ethanol un-solders the joints of copper brass and steel piping, it un-solders the old floats too, which were too halves soldered together.
The car world has moved on quite a bit to address these issues by using the plastics as I call them, and harder more exotic
metals. More profit in a car than a chainsaw though.
Makita / and Kogi were more into electric equipment, they bought their way into the chainsaw market through obtaining Dolmar and Tanaka,
and now both have pulled out, has me wondering why, whats coming that they don't care to address.
makita is just green weenies. they dont like gas powered equipment and genuinely believe that battery power is going to rule the outdoor game in a few years. i was openly laughed at and mocked for asking about a 90cc saw. they are completely under the delusion that 90cc saws are not needed in this day and age.

makita is just green weenies. they dont like gas powered equipment and genuinely believe that battery power is going to rule the outdoor game in a few years. i was openly laughed at and mocked for asking about a 90cc saw. they are completely under the delusion that 90cc saws are not needed in this day and age.
Well they will loose quite a few customers because of their dumping people who bought their gas products,
and if their attitude regarding not requiring bigger saws is how they see things, they will loose there too.

I have a feeling all the manufacturers know something we the public don't, like a ban on anyone other than loggers
even owning a gas powered saw, or some sort of tax coming down on them, the tax would explain why we still see
bigger saws from Husky and Stihl coming out, they simply can't be replaced with battery, at least not in the near future,
and the smaller saws don't bring in the same money so ban them and use battery where possible.

Latest posts

Back