A tree, some crows and Wolfmother

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be interesting to see how long the shiny cd's deter the crows...they are very clever buggers.

Lovely tree btw. :)

Also I hope the cd's were suitably titled...maybe "bye bye blackbird" :cry:

Western Power use aluminium or stainless steel tags on some HV lines to deter birds. I seem to recall they can damage insulation but regardless the tags are shiny and move in the wind and you never see birds perched on those particular lines. Maybe thats why the Dept of Agriculture suggested hanging CD's to my client after they said no traps, no poison and definately no .410 with birdshot!

I liked this C.maculata too Boa. We took as much dead wood as possible at the time but truthfully there was much less than you might otherwise expect. Every street tree in the picture below has been repeatedly topped and of course, in ignorance, many home owners have copied that practise and mutilated their own trees. Fortunately the council has now revised their standards but old habits die hard as you know. This tree is fortunate to have had only 3 lower limbs on the North side removed to collar which have sealed over quite nicely.

attachment.php

Dunno how long the cds will stay there but I plan to return every few months and see how it goes. Who knows, maybe this is a new market for crazy tree climbers?!:monkey:

You been in the sun too long man. I think you have a few Kangaroos loose in the top paddock. Those cd's in my tree would be more annoying then the crows. Wait what if some old lady is driving her Holden Commodore down the street and the sun reflects off them cd's and she swerves off the road runs over your pet dingo or some little larrikin on a skateboard eating a Vegemite sandwich.

You been in the sun too long man. I think you have a few Kangaroos loose in the top paddock. Those cd's in my tree would be more annoying then the crows. Wait what if some old lady is driving her Holden Commodore down the street and the sun reflects off them cd's and she swerves off the road runs over your pet dingo or some little larrikin on a skateboard eating a Vegemite sandwich.

:clap:

Why didn't they just put up a sign that says " No crows allowed"?

Over here in S E Pa it seems like 4 pm is when the crows come in to roost and make idle cawing.

Five days after the job I got this from the client.

It all worked and the crows have stopped nesting in the tree- no 4.30 wake ups and they are around a lot less - great!

So far so good. I will keep an eye on this tree and let you know how it goes long term.:camera:

That's some great work OMT.
Daily as tree huggers we confront n sort issues that are not in the books or manual. Next year with a tree fitted nest box. I'm hoping to encourage pair of Powerfull owls so they may sort a local possum plague. It may just work more likely to fail but a bloke with much wisdom will help on just how to do it.
Dunno about Wolf-mummy I'd say Black Sabbath had that heavy goth rock all sewn up 40 years back, Still my kids say, like it or hate it just get out of the way old man.

Last edited:
Love the wolfmorther, made the video... looked like a fun climb too, kinda like decorating an oversized deciduous christmas tree. :rock:

Long term?

I heard the birds see the CD as "the eye of a large predator" and steer clear. Two years ago I put 2 back to back and hung on fishing line 8 feet inside entrance of machine shed (50' x 90') to keep small birds from nesting/roosting in there. Figured they would quickly get wise to it and ignore, but still works. I know the fake owls and snakes only work for a time.

You could well be right about what the birds actually see. I can say I have seen cd-in-tree work very well in fruiting trees. We have a whole bunch of native birds here that are similar to parrots with curved beaks for cracking nuts so they wreak havoc in crop bearing trees. Hanging cds seems much better to me than hanging nets over the trees. :)

Latest posts

Back