a warning to eastonmade box wedge users.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For any that haven't seen this video the last 20 seconds or so shows how you can get hurt when using the pullback arm on an eastonmade log splitter. Somebody who was helping me about a month and a half ago was struck by the pullback arm resulting in a broken arm that required surgery to heal, and roughly 6 staples to his head. The guy has been out of work since the accident and eastonmade doesn't seem to care. Just putting it out there for anybody who hasnt seen it or is not aware that it can happen.

SuperSplit has a similar issue that operators should be aware of.
SuperSplit is my experience, but it's probably similar on other kinetic models too.

If a piece of wood has knots, crotches, or uneven cut ends and is placed on the beam towards the wedge, there is a possibility the wood will ride up the leading edge of the wedge.
The combined speed and force of the push plate can summersault the wood back towards the flywheels... at head height.

Therefor I've practiced keeping my hand on top of the round, or if a half round, round side down, grasped on the midsection edge, as the split begins. (This is great for multiple splits of a half round.)
The tactile sensation of a round riding up the wedge is then instant. This gives the opposite hand a chance to disengage the rack and pinion by pushing down on the engagement lever. Also the awareness of knots prepares one to respond, and do a mental check of head position, prior to splitting.
More importantly, make it a habit to stand erect along side the beam, and not bent forward towards it. Head, nose, and teeth back.

This summersaulting happens sometimes in seemingly straight grained wood with hidden knots.
I don't have any video of this. But the kinetic energy can flip a 30-35 lb. piece in a blink, landing on the beam, and/or flywheel cover, then goes sideways, or on your toes.

Any one who has run one has most likely experienced this.
If it's your first time using a kinetic, get used to practicing good habits from the git-go and stick with them.
It is a single person use machine.
It cuts the wood vs splitting it.
Like the unit above, they are fun to use and can pile up the splits.

What are you showing here? Not familiar with this splitter.

That the pull back arm is hinged and on rare occasion may fly back towards the operator like the video shows the Brute doing?

The guy in the video was lucky. The could easily have been a deadly head blow.

According to Andrew from Eastonmade wearing a peltor or stihl style chainsaw helmet will protect you if struck in the head by the pullback arm. I'd love to see him prove that.

According to Andrew from Eastonmade wearing a peltor or stihl style chainsaw helmet will protect you if struck in the head by the pullback arm. I'd love to see him prove that.
Yeah I’ll pass on that one myself. Use this ****** plastic helmet so your brain doesn’t come out when my machine tries to take the side of your head off.

Perhaps drilling a hole for a pin or bolt through the round steel of the arm could restrict the movement if placed strategically. Or welding a length of rod out the back of the arm?

I designed my boxwedge to be operated with a remote control which I found on a winch option site. I can stand over twenty feet away if I wish!
The arm is hinged like the Easton one but the weight of the metal and the 56lb steel weight on top means that it is unlikely to flip!

My thought was simply to place a tether from the back of the box wedge to the removable slide??? I would think either a steel cable or a nylon strap of some sort would work just fine allowing ample room for the pullback arm to float up and down within reason but also keep it from flying up past a certain point. Doesn't seem overly expensive given the cost of the machine, and could even be listed as a wear item.

Latest posts

Back