A winch for getting firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey folks:

I get firewood here in Western Montana with an F250 ... usually on old logging roads cut on the side of steep slopes. I'm really tired of seeing fantastic-looking 25" snags 70 or 80 feet away up a steep slope where it would be impossible to take my truck, and a PITA to roll the Firewood rounds down the hill.

So ... I'm thinking of getting a winch. I only do about 6 cords a year, so I don't think the winch would get a lot of use. Just for firewood, recovery, and the occasional odd job. It's one of those things where It's just really great to have it when you need it.

I saw a 10000 lb "Gorilla" brand winch on eBay ... anybody ever use one of those? I can fab a mount for it on the front of my truck, and install a second battery if necessary.

I've never used a winch before, so any advice about selection, mounting, using to skid logs, etc would be much appreciated. Any links to more info on the net would also be appreciated.

PS: I've searched and searched, but still have lots of unanswered questions.

Thanks!!

We use a 100' cable with a Walingford Choker. Pull the logs out without a winch. Use the Front tow hooks or rear hitch. We probably have the luxury of more area, so a winch is not necessary. I have experience with Ramsey winch. I would recommend Ramsey.

I just got my first winch a few months back, almost got one of those gorillas, ended up with a 8,000 smittybuilt xrc8...good deal at about $315 shipped. I've been happy with it, made my own mount for a hitch on the front bumper or rear hitch if needed. Be sure to get a snatch block also.

Have used a winch many times to pull logs with, The only advice i can give you is buy quality. i have owned cheap ones that wouldn't hold up. If you start pulling logs with them you are going to put a strain on one. The price may sound good but it likely isn't going to hold up under a lot of hard use.

Have used a winch many times to pull logs with, The only advice i can give you is buy quality. i have owned cheap ones that wouldn't hold up. If you start pulling logs with them you are going to put a strain on one. The price may sound good but it likely isn't going to hold up under a lot of hard use.

:agree2:

Over the long haul, that winch will get used more than you think.Once you have one, you will dream up more and more for it to do.buying cheap will mean only one thing, you will end up being stranded somewhere without a working winch.
Ramsey and Warn both make some good winches,pay the extra bucks and get a good tool rather than something that will just end up in the garbage heap.

Just pay the extra money now for a quality winch! I bought one of those gorilla winches for my atv and it was junk. Seemed ok at 1st until I looked at the quality of my buddy's warn. Also it always seems to not work or break when you need it. Just do yourself the favor and buy a quality one the 1st time. It's cheaper in the end anyways cause it didn't cost you more to replace the junk you bought the 1st time

I bought this one cheap and out of the first fives uses it broke three times, Now mile marker did warrenty it but it will not hold up. It has not pulled nothing hard either.

chainsaws101.jpg

This old warn winch has been on three trucks and it has never failed me. It has been beat to death too. I pulled stumps out of the ground with with it a few times. it pulled so hard it broke the welds on the mount and on the truck frame. Also have a warn 9000 lb on my dodge, it has seen a lot of abuse so far with no trouble.

chainsaws028.jpg

Thanks for the replies ... I agree with you about quality. I use only Stihl Pro saws. But for only 6 cords a year, its really hard to justify $900.00, and I can't really find any used high-pound winches. I'm almost down to deciding between a cheap winch or no winch.

What if I bought a cheap winch with more power than really needed, like a 12,000 lb winch? Would that maybe hold up better?

Are there other ways to get distant logs without a winch? I've got a Heavy trailer hitch on my truck.

Also ... whatever winch I get, would you recommend 2 batteries in parallel?

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies ... I agree with you about quality. I use only Stihl Pro saws. But for only 6 cords a year, its really hard to justify $900.00, and I can't really find any used high-pound winches. I'm almost down to deciding between a cheap winch or no winch.

What if I bought a cheap winch with more power than really needed, like a 12,000 lb winch? Would that maybe hold up better?

Are there other ways to get distant logs without a winch? I've got a Heavy trailer hitch on my truck.

Also ... whatever winch I get, would you recommend 2 batteries in parallel?

Thanks.
Cheap is cheap, no matter what size it is. If you're not going to do much with it then they may work out, But trust me if you buy one you will use it for more things than you know about right now. Pulling logs up inclines is hard on anything. I melted the ends off of my battery connections on one by overloading it pulling logs. They seem to catch and drag dirt and brush with them as they are pulled. My dodge is hooked up 24 volt, but it is a cummins and they are that way from the factory. The old ford is just a single battery and it never seemed to be any difference. Using a snatch block will take a lot of load of the winch when heavy logs are pulled. No matter what winch you buy, Invest in a decent snatchblock and DO NOT cheap out on them. I have seen them ovaled out and broke. you don't want to be near one when it breaks under a hard load.

Last edited:
You could just buy some cable, good snatch blocks, and tree straps and use the truck as the winch . It would take some rigging but it would be much faster .
Truck winches are not designed for long sustained pulls , you will burn out the motor pretty fast using it that way, not to mention the battery or altenator won't keep up ( Hard pulls take 300-400 amps of continous power) .

Anybody know anything about the WARN 5687? It's an older, upright model. 8000 lbs.

There's one on CL for $400. Says very fast, very reliable, "fresh motor."

You could just buy some cable, good snatch blocks, and tree straps and use the truck as the winch . It would take some rigging but it would be much faster .
Truck winches are not designed for long sustained pulls , you will burn out the motor pretty fast using it that way, not to mention the battery or altenator won't keep up ( Hard pulls take 300-400 amps of continous power) .

Not a bad idea ... 2 or 3 snatch blocks + cable would be a lot cheaper than a winch ... I could use standing trees as anchors and pull the truck at a right angle to the slope that way.

Anybody know anything about the WARN 5687? It's an older, upright model. 8000 lbs.

There's one on CL for $400. Says very fast, very reliable, "fresh motor."

That model only has cable controls ( inside the vehicle) , no remote . No power out either .
That's the model on the ford i posted, They are fast and mine does have power line out. No remote. never needed a remote. You have to get out of the truck to hook a line up anyway. Sounds like a lot of money though. Although they are expensive now.

Here is my rig for pulling firewood logs, as it sits in the bed of my trailer.

Warn 4000lb portable winch,snatch block, and 30ft remote.it has done everything I have ever asked it to, and has held up for three years now except for a few minor repairs.With a seperate battery, I can move the winch from the front of the trailer to the sides,pull stuff in from the back,over the sides and even move it around to the front of the truck if/when I get stuck which isnt often.
Only one time did the winch fail to pull me out with the snatch block, I was buried up to the frame in mud, full load of wood on a 16ft trailer, and the winch said no way.I disconnected the trailer,winched the truck out, moved the winch to the back of the truck and pulled the trailer back up to the truck and hauled butt.
Total price, 400 bucks for the winch,50 bucks for the snatch block,and 50 for the battery.

Here is some info on the winch .

Stihl sawing , you are thinking of the latter model (8624 ) that looks the same as the 5687 .

So you own an ancient old Warn winch and have no clue what it is?? These were last manufactured around 1974. Known as the Warn Belleview series (ie: Warn #5687), these were reportedly available in 8000# and 6000# ratings. Controls are all cable operated - one cable controls the in-out switch, one runs the brake lever, and the third connects to an underhood lever which controls power. The cable for the brake is t-handled and is designed to twist-lock to maintain/hold the brake. These winches were designed to carry up to 150' of 5/16" aircraft cable. They do NOT have a power-out option however, which is really their only disadvantage. Otherwise these are strong durable winches.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/oldwarn.php

Pto is the way to go imo I have a 20 ton on my bucket that can pull a 35" log full length out the woods! If cheap is what you are looking for many pulp loaders used rear end and brake drum with large spool very fast and simple!

Here is some info on the winch .

Stihl sawing , you are thinking of the latter model (8624 ) that looks the same as the 5687 .

So you own an ancient old Warn winch and have no clue what it is?? These were last manufactured around 1974. Known as the Warn Belleview series (ie: Warn #5687), these were reportedly available in 8000# and 6000# ratings. Controls are all cable operated - one cable controls the in-out switch, one runs the brake lever, and the third connects to an underhood lever which controls power. The cable for the brake is t-handled and is designed to twist-lock to maintain/hold the brake. These winches were designed to carry up to 150' of 5/16" aircraft cable. They do NOT have a power-out option however, which is really their only disadvantage. Otherwise these are strong durable winches.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/oldwarn.php
Well you are correct, I do have the 8624. I am getting old ya know.lol

Latest posts

Back