A winch for getting firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can find used winches on off road forums. You may be able to find a great deal on one of those. On that I am on is Pirate4x4. Just a thought?

Or you could just buy a new dodge power wagon, they come stock with locked up dana 60's and a warn 10000 pounder. I want one:cheers:

How is the amount of wrap going to effect pull power? Pull speed maybe but power I don't think so:rolleyes:

Here's a drawing that might help. Think of the blue line as a bar, or your winch motor. Bar is the same lenght in both pics. On the larger drum, you get more travel when you move the bar a certain amount, but need more force to do it. "A" with the smaller drum will lift the same load with less effort, just slower.

It's a crude drawing, but I hope it helps.

attachment.php

BTW- if you find any PTO winches around cheap, I may be interested. Looking to make a 3pt skidding setup for the tractor.

Side note - WOOOHOOO, finally the sound of some rain on the roof here!

Steve

Here's a drawing that might help. Think of the blue line as a bar, or your winch motor. Bar is the same lenght in both pics. On the larger drum, you get more travel when you move the bar a certain amount, but need more force to do it. "A" with the smaller drum will lift the same load with less effort, just slower.

It's a crude drawing, but I hope it helps.

attachment.php

BTW- if you find any PTO winches around cheap, I may be interested. Looking to make a 3pt skidding setup for the tractor.

Side note - WOOOHOOO, finally the sound of some rain on the roof here!

Steve

I sorta got what ya'll were saying just don't notice the difference on my set up. Now
I will have to try to find two lol ozarktreeman seen mine in use so he wants one. I come by them sometimes I will see what they have at the auction many times they are bumper and all of large trucks! It could be fabbed to fit most anything but needs some beefing!

there is a military surplus store near here, I go there often. but any how, they have had several winches in there over past trips. Some very cheap, Its on the way to my bil's house. And well heading there this weekend I'll keep ya in mind. I'm guessing you want a pto not hydro. And for anyone wanting a hydro there is a store in Akron,Oh that has a whole lot of used winches priced fair. http://www.samwinermotors.com/

there is a military surplus store near here, I go there often. but any how, they have had several winches in there over past trips. Some very cheap, Its on the way to my bil's house. And well heading there this weekend I'll keep ya in mind. I'm guessing you want a pto not hydro. And for anyone wanting a hydro there is a store in Akron,Oh that has a whole lot of used winches priced fair. http://www.samwinermotors.com/

If you see a bollard sometimes called a catshead I am looking for one for my big winch! It fits on the end of the shaft sticking out in this pic. I will measure my shaft if they have one! It is for a rope friction pull and brake sort of a gcrs on steroids.

Last edited:
Where did you find a 9500 lb 1/2" rope? Can you tell me the brand name or something?

I like the simplicity of your solution ... rope is much easier to handle, and the idea of driving forward to pull the log, then back up, rewinding the rope to take out slack, repeat ... that's good for tight spots.

http://www.howtowireahouse.com/Greenlee_23774.html

You will get better price if you look harder. Look for Greenlee wire pulling rope.

And don't forget to get the LARGE boat cleat for your hitch reciever.
It makes it easier.......:cheers:

Last edited:
My guess, that would be the same, speed would increase as greater distance per revolution changes the speed. I am getting your idea but power output should be the same but then it may likely be my winch is just big.[/QUO===

It's just that you have an excess of winch power for what your pullin.
An 8000 lb Warn is only rated at 8000# on the first wrap and reduces with each wrap. One the 4th layer it's only rated at something like 4000#

Once you get a winch or decide what other options you will try,make yourself a skid plate for the log. Just a piece of 3/16'' plate will work great that is big enough to cover the log, for me I made mine 20'' wide also bend it so you have no sharp corners rather than weld it so it is L shaped drill a bunch of 3/16th'' holes so you can attach it to the log with a few nails. It will slide over the ground much better that way with out the log digging in.I just slip my choker chain behind it and hit the remote for the winch or I just hook up a cable to my hitch and drive away.
I have to build a new one as mine got stolen out of the back of the truck scape is worth too much these day's to Crack heads.

I tell you what JAL, that thing would look narly on the front of my wifes liberty. I stopped by that surplus store today and looked for some goodies today. I did look for winches and they had a few but all looked to small or to bad off. I am in there over other month, I'll keep a eye out. I did however buy my self a blackhawk riggers belt for 10 bucks, also got my self a manly DDP "Diaper Depolyment Pack" keeps me from having to carry my wifes pink one.

Might be more than you want to spend.

attachment.php

Technical Specs:
Height: 65"
Width: 55"
Shipping Weight: 725 lbs.
Pulling Capacity: 11025 lbs.
Drum Capacity: Sold with 165” of ½” cable with option of up to 265’ of 3/8” cable
Winching Speed: 1 to 5 ft. per second.
Clutch: Mechanical friction plate clutch with heat sink
Power Transmission: Universal shaft from tractor
Mounting: To Category I or II 3-point hitch
Tractor Size: Min. 40 HP, Max. 60 HP
Related Product: Farmi 501T Skidding Winch - 501 with Electric Hydraulic Control System

Might be more than you want to spend.

attachment.php

Technical Specs:
Height: 65"
Width: 55"
Shipping Weight: 725 lbs.
Pulling Capacity: 11025 lbs.
Drum Capacity: Sold with 165” of ½” cable with option of up to 265’ of 3/8” cable
Winching Speed: 1 to 5 ft. per second.
Clutch: Mechanical friction plate clutch with heat sink
Power Transmission: Universal shaft from tractor
Mounting: To Category I or II 3-point hitch
Tractor Size: Min. 40 HP, Max. 60 HP
Related Product: Farmi 501T Skidding Winch - 501 with Electric Hydraulic Control System

How much for the little brother?:cheers:
Farmi JL290 Skidding Winch

http://www.farmiwinch.com/index.php...ew=category&id=50:JL290&layout=blog&Itemid=67

I sure would like to have one of the Farmi winches... I patterned my homemade winch somewhat after the Farmi's.

Mine works great, but it's Slooooooow... but it still gets the job done, and I built it! So, I guess I'll keep it! :cheers:

My,my I have not noticed one bit of power loss with 300 foot of cable it is the same at 100 as it is 295 foot. Speed changes though.

Come on rope, you know better than that if you'll think about it.
If speed increases, and all other elements stay the same, power has to decrease.
If you have two old Ford pickups (I know you like old Ford's :cheers:), both with 390 cu. in. engines, both with granny 4 speeds, but one has a 3:73 differental, and the other has a 4:56 differental. Which one has the most pulling power? They both have the same hp at the back of the engine. They both have the same hp at the back of the transmission. But at the ground (where it counts) the 4:56 will have more power. It won't go as fast, but it will have more power. If you're not noticing it, then you're not loading your winch.

I can notice it on this one, but not when it's not loaded.
WalkerJob025.jpg

Andy

Latest posts

Back