About to pull trigger on a MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTWoodchuck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need moral support!

I've researched and researched forever. I'm wanting to get a new 261w/ a 18" bar and have it ported to be my main saw. I will also get a used 440 or maybe a 372 witha 20"-24" bar later to be my 'big' saw for the occasional big tree and all noodling duties.

Long story short- the two 361's have been long term loan from a family member and I don't want to use em too hard so I'm getting a new line up(50cc+70cc).
"yes dear, I HAVE to have 2 new saws" :D

I guess what I really want, is a bunch of stangers on the intraweb to reaffirm my saw choices. Silly but, true. Any reason not to go with this plan?:bang:

None. No reason whatsoever. The 261 is a great saw (almost got one myself) and the next logical step is for something around 70cc.

Just do it and make yourself happy! :msp_biggrin:

best two/three saw plan!

1. 40-50cc
2. 60-70cc
3. 90+cc (optional depending on the size of wood you need to cut)

261 has got great reviews so I definatly get it... Well I would if I didn't have 5-6 026/260's... ;)

go for it the air filtration is second to none it even stops redgum dust

or a 550xp

Go Get the 261

Another vote for getting a 261. I have a 16" on my stock saw, and sometimes run a 20" on it - with 3/8" chain. It is a nice saw to limb with or buck up the small stuff. The 261 has good torque for a 50cc saw, and seems to go a long way on a tank of gas. I think that a 440/460/461 would be a nice complement to it, if you are a Stihl kind of guy. A 372 is ALWAYS a good choice too, especially the pre strato saws.

Like others, I would say your plan is a great one.

If, by some magical stroke of luck, you dont end up with CAD, then the 261/440 is the perfect 2 saw plan imho as you will end up with 2 saws that have interchangeable bars, a similar feel and the highest resale value of any brand (should you ever decide to sell).

Have fun!

The 261 is a very good saw. I have 2.

You might try just MM, loose the base gasket and advance the timing, that takes that saw to a new level.

Sam

PS, I'd go with the 441CM, between the 261 and 441CM you will have two awesome strato'd saws that will put a smile on your face.

Sam

Its a great plan, I have both a 260 and an 044 along with many others. If I were to keep only two saws it would likely be my 361 and 460 OR 260 and 460.

I think you will be very happy with the 50cc/70cc choice. Three saws I will never get ride of are my 260, 361, 460 if I had to keep a fourth it would be the 044. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Well take it from a huge skeptic when it comes to a 50cc saw....you will not be disappointed. I bought a Husky 346xp at one time and sold it soon there after because I had a Husky 350 that would cut right with it. Here is a video of the 261 that made me want one. I don't currently own any Stihls

[video=youtube_share;D69OwEIvqVs]http://youtu.be/D69OwEIvqVs[/video]

I absolutely love my ported 261 with a 18" b&c. Its truely the only saw i need. I wouldn't hesitate to tackle a 30" oak. Enjoy it!!!!

You will enjoy the 261 ;)

DSC_7471.jpg

New saw rep coming your way :cool2:

I love my 261, after it was broken in I opened the muffler up and it really runs great. It is a vey gutsy little saw for 50cc. I have no experience with the 346 Husky but many here really brag on its performance. It really must be the best thing since sliced bread if it does a better job than the 261

Steve

Own two of them, absolutely love them, no regrets getting rid of the 346xpne. You'll love the 261, with an 18" .325 we've been exceptionally pleased. At my age prolly the last two 50cc saws I'll ever by. Get Brad or Mastermind to do their magic on yours and you'll have one that thinks it is a stock 70cc saw. Excellent two saw plan. Excellent choice!

Own two of them, absolutely love them, no regrets getting rid of the 346xpne. You'll love the 261, with an 18" .325 we've been exceptionally pleased. At my age prolly the last two 50cc saws I'll ever by. Get Brad or Mastermind to do their magic on yours and you'll have one that thinks it is a stock 70cc saw. Excellent two saw plan. Excellent choice!

Thank you! Your testamonials on the 261 had alot to do with my choice.

Latest posts

Back