About to pull trigger on a MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like them better than the 346xp too. Not by much though. They are both powerful and nimble. The 346 is a little more nimble but I like the way the 261 cuts. Nice wide powerband.

Just purchased a MS261. Only ran 1 1/2 tanks of gas. Alot of power for a 50cc saw. No problem cutting seasoned red oak. So far very happy with the saw!

After running a tank thru my 261 I'm kinda wanting a rest myself :msp_smile:

Congrats on the saw :)

Last edited:
I picked up a ms261 a few weeks ago. (I got tired of messing around with my 25 year old 55cc Homelite) Its torque is quite nice.
Its much easier to keep the chain cutting just right.Mine came with a 20inch bar. It has more than enough power for red and white oak.
The only thing I would do differently on the purchase is getting the "scabbard extension" when i was there.

The 261 that I have is definitely a keeper. It was a replacement for a 346xpNE that was destroyed in a truck fire. At first I was not impressed by the power band, BUT, I was used to a well-seasoned 346 that was absolutely my go-to saw (when Dad didn't beat me to the punch on "our" saw). Now that I have about 20 tanks through it, it has awakened nicely and has more torque than my 346xp did. The Husky was lighter and a bit better balanced. Really both saws are fantastic in their own right but have a totally different feel. The Husky reminds me of a Surgeon's scalpel with it's amazing balance and dexterity. The Stihl reminds me of my favorite field/hunting knife, still very maneuverable, but with a bit more bulk/substance and overall strength. I would not hesitate to buy either saw. The Dolmar 5105 feels a lot like the Stihl as well. I still miss my 346, but the 261 has grown on me a lot, and the only place it may be going will be for a short trip to see Stumpy or Brad to get the rest of it's potential unlocked. I will be modding the muffler and carb soon though, as it is ridiculously lean and runs pretty hot. A bit more gas on the high end ought to work wonders for it!

Great choice my friend. Mine was ported by mastermind. I put a 25" and made a couple cuts at the GTG last weekend just to show its power. I ran one that Brad did and it was also a great running saw , very strong.

Excellent choice -- I love my 261. It's great with an 18" bar but will pull a 20" OK too. Fantastic saw all around.

TwinMS261s.jpg

Very good choice, Excellent saw. I have a MS 261 with 16" ES bar and 3/8 RS chain. I think you will be very happy with your choice. Enjoy your new saw.

OP.
have you seen the thread about the 261 that's being donated and auctioned for jasha's cause ???
if things are as they've been stated, it's allready headed to ohio for surgery...
jus sayin..

OP.
have you seen the thread about the 261 that's being donated and auctioned for jasha's cause ???
if things are as they've been stated, it's allready headed to ohio for surgery...
jus sayin..

I did and was thinking about it.But I really want this saw NOW. And I would like to run several gallons through it prior to porting so I can really see the difference. Good call though.

The 261 was my first Stihl. It impressed me how it cut with the 20" bar and. 325 chain on it.
Great saw. You will be happy.

At 3:35 pm on 1 Nov 2012 I delivered a beautiful, healthy new ms261. Labor lasted several months but both saw and father doing fine.
You are all getting virtual Monte Cristo cigars and shots of Buillet Rye. Cheers! Thanks for all the moral support.:rock:

I'm so pumped about this saw! Its so SHINEY and CLEAN! I'm gonna almost hate gettin it dirty. Won't be able to cut with it till tomorrow afternoon which sucks. Shop didn't have RM chain but gave me a RS loop for free. Did the double warrenty deal with the ultra oil too. With tax was $609 OTD. I've been hefting it and my 350 and it doesn't feel much heavier. Just more stout. Can't wait for tax returns so I can get a 440/441.

Back