Academy of Chainsharpology

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WRW said:
Yes, with dull chain you can set the rakers lower. ;) Even down to the nub.

Nathan Wreyford commented on this once. Apparently a "crew" he worked with once used bolt cutters to cut the rakers off so they didn't have to sharpen the chain. :confused:

"Having a really sharp chain exacerbates this condition."

Having very aggressive angles or your rakes to low, especially with chisel chain, is what's making your chain grabby, not the sharpness of the tooth.

Todd's (Xander) chain swapping advice is the way many pros do it so it isn't bad advice but..... FWIW I can sharpen a chain on the saw faster than most guys can do a swap. The exception is the extremely damaged chain that needs 1/4 of the cutter filed or ground back. I run a chain until it is worn out, but chain swapping is not bad-the sprocket is usually good for two chains and swapping will balance the wear on chains to the sprocket wear. I freehand file.How I do it can be found in this old thread.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5068&highlight=The+best+sharpening

Stumpers idea of filing on the saw is much better than relying on a grinder when it can be done quickly.
For all intents and purposes, round filing is adequate and much easier to master than square filing.
John

My usual practice is to hand file 3 or 4 times, then throw the chain on the grinder just to true it up. (Exception being the rocked chain.)

For the usual quick sharp-ups it's senseless and time-consuming to take the chain off.

I usually bring 4 or 5 saws to the average job. The first choice is get another saw. Unless there is foreign objects in the tree we usually won't rock a chain. I can hand file a chain in a short period of time. When I'm filing what is everyone else doing? I don't know I'm filing the chain they got dull. I can swap a chain in less than two minutes and so can my guys. Only one of my guys can file good. I do make them file if they run it into the dirt. We always leave with sharp chains so they don't always get the opportunity to file. I've tried it both ways and find it's easier to teach a guy to run a grinder than to file a chain.

I might bring more saws, but it depends on the truck I take.

The 1-ton has crap for storage space.
The short bucket has acres of it.

Latest posts

Back