Ace Hardware and Sthil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bump_r

bump_r

ArboristSite Guru
I've said it before and I'll say it again (to save the search :) ) There is a huge difference between a dealer and a retailer. Flipping merchandise is one thing, being a "saw junkie" and actually knowing your line is on a totally different level.

ktoom

ktoom

ArboristSite Guru
Wait until Ace has one of their bag sales. (20% off anything that'll fit into a shopping bag). Buy the powerhead only.
Funny u say just buy the power head. 2 years ago i was in search of a MS440 power head. I hadn't check the local ace hardware store simply because i knew the price would be high and that they weren't selling saws that big yet. So i went to True Value, which sold and serviced alot of Stihl products, even lawnmowers, tractors etc...all that good stuff, so at least they had mechanics there. Anyways i walked in and told them i just wanted to buy the MS440 power head only. They, for some reason, would not sell me the power head. I even talked to the manager, who was a nice guy, and all he could do was sell it to me with a 16 inch bar and chain for $690. Needless to say i found a great Stihl dealer that sold me just the power head for $610 plus tax. Why do you think True Value wouldn't sell me the power head????

SteveH

SteveH

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
October, in a True Value in Denver, they had a well-stocked Stihl area. Everything. 361s were $595, didn't ask if that included "extras," as I was just browsing. Files 2/$4.

Later that week, in an Ace, they had only little saws, pretty junky accessories, more like a Lowe's or something. Not Stihl brand.

Different Ace, 361s were priced at $605, Stihl bar oil still $7.95. Files $1.90 each. [Stihl brand files]

In all these stores, chatting with the saw guys, I could tell in three seconds that they knew pretty much nothing about saws. Nice enough guys, friendly, but clueless. But a couple of the saw sections of the stores were pretty big, so they must sell stuff.

stihl only

stihl only

ArboristSite Operative
Funny u say just buy the power head. 2 years ago i was in search of a MS440 power head. I hadn't check the local ace hardware store simply because i knew the price would be high and that they weren't selling saws that big yet. So i went to True Value, which sold and serviced alot of Stihl products, even lawnmowers, tractors etc...all that good stuff, so at least they had mechanics there. Anyways i walked in and told them i just wanted to buy the MS440 power head only. They, for some reason, would not sell me the power head. I even talked to the manager, who was a nice guy, and all he could do was sell it to me with a 16 inch bar and chain for $690. Needless to say i found a great Stihl dealer that sold me just the power head for $610 plus tax. Why do you think True Value wouldn't sell me the power head????

It's Stihl policy to not sell just a power head.

You guys can laugh all you want about the lawyers but by only selling complete saws, it eliminates a lot of liability.

ktoom

ktoom

ArboristSite Guru
It's Stihl policy to not sell just a power head.

You guys can laugh all you want about the lawyers but by only selling complete saws, it eliminates a lot of liability.
Hmmmmmm wonder why my dealer did it then? It was the first time i ever went to his place too. Whats funny is a few people on here told me i could just purchase the power head and they were just might have been Stihl dealers....and they even told me the price for just the power head. Mind you this was 2 years ago, so maybe they have changed since then???

flimflam

flimflam

ArboristSite Operative
Just because a company has a policy doesn't mean it's dealers will all follow them.

A lot of dealers break policy rules by selling on ebay, shipping equipment, selling it in a box, etc. The ones that get caught get canceled. Lol, extreme but true. Unless you're a really big dealership, they won't give warnings.

Last edited:
motosierra

motosierra

ArboristSite Guru
What length of bar does that come with, and how many chains? We're selling 361s here for $619.95 now with a 24/25" bar, two chains, and a six-pack of mix.

Do they have 13/64" files?

JJ.....I went back today...the 361 is sold for $609.95 with a 20" bar and one chain. And the files are not 30 dollars/3 ...THEY ARE 39.95!!!...I told them that had to be an error...they said something to the effect of "no error they were Sthil files"...not worth arguing about ...I'll just buy on the internet..sorry..I was so shocked I forgot to check the size but at $39.95 ..it doesn't really mater ... :)

lmalterna

lmalterna

ArboristSite Operative
I like to use smaller stores over large outfits when I can and do use Ace as I get good hands on service/advice there. That being said, I paid 20.00 extra for my little MS180 at a long term Stihl shop. I like the blokes at my Ace but they admitted that they knew squat about really using the saws they were selling.

2Door

stihl only

stihl only

ArboristSite Operative
Just because a company has a policy doesn't mean it's dealers will all follow them.

A lot of dealers break policy rules by selling on ebay, shipping equipment, selling it in a box, etc. The ones that get caught get canceled. Lol, extreme but true. Unless you're a really big dealership, they won't give warnings.

Couldn't say this better myself! It is NOT easy to stick to policy and I laugh when I see people buying new saws on ebay for more that I sell the for in my store before you even figure in freight.

Stihl is still stihl, and not a part of some giant corporation that owns five different saw companies, so I think they have less of a "corporate" shield to hide behind.

I have guys laugh at me that are professional cutters when I ask them to fill out the waiver form when they are buying the deadly yelow chains, but it is Stihls way to have a record to know that Joe homeowner knew the risk and that there are safer chains out there. When I tell the pros that it's a lawyer thing, they all understand.

For me, it's pretty simple because if I follow the rules,and have an issue, I will have Stihl to back me!!!

serial killer

serial killer

ArboristSite Operative
You sold me one of those deadly yellow chains without a waiver. Let me tell you, it is hard as heck to type and drink beer at the same time with one arm. My lawyer will be calling in the morning.

severed%20arm%20big.jpg

teacherman

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
You sold me one of those deadly yellow chains without a waiver. Let me tell you, it is hard as heck to type and drink beer at the same time with one arm. My lawyer will be calling in the morning.

severed%20arm%20big.jpg

That is one frightening picture! I hope it is not a photograph of a real chainsaw amputation. Certainly looks realistic, though.

stihl only

stihl only

ArboristSite Operative

severed%20arm%20big.jpg

I'm glad that it is in writing on this forum that you covered your throttle interlock with pipe insulation!!!!

Heck, I'm having trouble typing and drinking beer with two hands so I'll NEVER use that deadly yellow stuff.

NOTE TO SELF: Forge his signature and hope he is right handed so he can't show I forged it!!!:)

Latest posts