cant get chips instead of sawdust while cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jettro:
Thanks for the honest comeback. I've used the wrong size file myself more times than once, especially if more than one saw and chain pitch is involved.
After I have done the same thing about 3 times and keep getting the same results I sometimes get a heads up.
Definition of a idiot, doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Been their myself few times. :dumb: :angry::buttkick:

You might consider getting yourself a couple of these Oregon gauges.
When I see a strange saw/chain arrangement I look for my Oregon gauge.

OREGON Chainsaw (Chain Saw) Bar & Chain Pitch, Gauge, File Measuring Tool 556418.
Look on fleece bay or Amazon

sorry i didnt come back sooner. i was out cuttin wood. no not really, been raining here. in my pics there, i had to reshape the tooth and it was cutting pretty good, till the sparks, then started cutting crooked. loaded up and came home and resharpened which is what you see. am i close?

well, its final. im an idiot. for the past year ive been using the wrong file for my saw, to small. supposed to be a 3/16 so i picked some up. watched get the gullot on youtube. dude you rock!! cut way better but chain life has been drastically reduced. then i hit i think a nail in the tree cause saw some sparks and no freaking rock there. crap. i think i was using a 5/32 file. i have watched a bunch of billys vids and love em. couple other fellas vids to.
As Billy would say “ looks like a ski ramp” no gullet there 😀. I found Buckin Billy Ray Smith by accident! I just enjoy watching him and he has some great tutorials! Tinman is another great YouTube sight if you’re looking to learn about “ power saws” BE KIND FRIEND”

@singinwoodwackr chains were new or straight off my stihl USG. But if you think the dust is because I don't know what a sharp chain is, you are more than welcome to come show me and try some.

Just making an observation based on the vids. That is split too much dust to be normal, sound wood, dry or not, or dull chain. If those cuts are with a new or newly sharpened chain then that wood has dry rot.
Been doing this for 40 yrs so what do I know?

well, its final. im an idiot. for the past year ive been using the wrong file for my saw, to small. supposed to be a 3/16 so i picked some up. watched get the gullot on youtube. dude you rock!! cut way better but chain life has been drastically reduced. then i hit i think a nail in the tree cause saw some sparks and no freaking rock there. crap. i think i was using a 5/32 file. i have watched a bunch of billys vids and love em. couple other fellas vids to.
If still not pulling itself through the cut drop those rakers down...they look high for that worn a chain.
Get a progressive type raker Guage for that specific chain...Husqvarna , Stihl or Carlton fil-o-plate all work well.

@jettro you just need to get some hook in there. Ymir can be done with too small of a file but the right size file and a husky roller guide will keep the file height and therefore the hook right. Also get a gauge on them rakers.

@singinwoodwackr fair enough…my point was that the internet myth that dust always indicates poor sharpening is not true. That wood is dusty regardless…and maybe “dry rotted” (more like brittle) but certainly not soft like wet rot. It’s harder than Chinese arithmetic. If the chain is not right it will laugh at you. Same with the splitting tool.

so today i spent more time giving mine a good sharpening and it did cut better but still pretty slow and man that oak is hard stuff. the bigger the tree the harder it is to cut using the whole bar. i definetly need at least a 20" bar if not bigger.
are your teeth worn down a lot from their original factory size?
if they are 1/3 of more worn, you need a smaller file to get a good hook on them because the teeth are no longer as high as they were.

I Cut lots of red oak and white oak, also both down and standing trees. The trees are on a rocky ridge. The fallen ones have dirt and leaves stuck on the bottom and ice in the winter. If I cut all the way through a already down tree, chances are good that the chain will get dull very quickly. Standing oaks when cut don't have as much stuff stuck to them, but they can pick up enough debris to dull a chain. Hitting a rock outcrop or a loose rock will do more than just dull the chain. I try to be careful when cutting and roll the log to clean off the mud, rocks, ice and leaves, and watch for large rocks in the area. This may not be your problem, but it is something to consider. I use a 2 in 1 sharpener, and the saws cut dead, dry oak with no problems.

sorry i didnt come back sooner. i was out cuttin wood. no not really, been raining here. in my pics there, i had to reshape the tooth and it was cutting pretty good, till the sparks, then started cutting crooked. loaded up and came home and resharpened which is what you see. am i close?
Depending on how bad that nail or rock messed up your chain, you MAY want to take it in and have them grind it for you to get everything trued back up. A rocked chain can be deceptive. The damaged cutters can look and feel sharp but still not cut if you haven't filed the teeth back far enough to remove all of the damage.

Not bad, especially for having used the wrong file for a while.

Personally, I would smooth out all the bumps at the front of the gullet.

Maybe drop a hair lower into the gullet for filing, as you have a lot of metal left between the cutting-edge and the connecting-link/swell of the tie-strap. Going lower should still give you a slightly greater hook. I'm not a fan of a lot of hook, but the photos above look a little too shallow.

Latest posts

Back