cant get chips instead of sawdust while cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jettro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a husqvarna e440 with 18" bar. im cutting some down red oaks that fell couple years ago. they are like 16 to 20" around. theyre big and hard. ive sharpened my chain like 3 times and even file the rackers down but cant get a good chip and kind of burning through it. thinking i need a bigger toothed chain but can i do that? also looking at a used husqvarna 51 and a sthil ms270. bigger saw that has a 18 or 20" bar that is more for the big stuff. can i put a bigger cutter chain on my 440 saw?

Make sure you are using correct size file. Undersized file will not sharpen the edge correctly and nothing seems to work very well. No big chips. I managed to relearn that yesterday. :)

Go to a Stihl shop- take your saw- ask them to make up a chisel chain loop to fit your saw and buy yourself a proper 2-1 tool to suit that chain pitch. I am willing to bet the factory grind on that chain will cure your problems and throw more chips than dust.
When you get home, take the new chain off the saw, put the old one on and practice using the 2-1 tool on it.
Willing to put money on the fact it is your "sharpening" that is letting you down, probably file too deep in the gullet and missing the top plate.

so today i spent more time giving mine a good sharpening and it did cut better but still pretty slow and man that oak is hard stuff. the bigger the tree the harder it is to cut using the whole bar. i definetly need at least a 20" bar if not bigger.

The only 2 ways for a chain not to cut good. Rakers too high, no hook on the cutter. Steve

#3: Dull ?
#4: Rakers far too low, chain binds in the cut as soon as it contacts the wood.
#5: chain is worn unevenly on the rails and rides crooked in the groove. Consequently it cuts so crooked the bar cannot follow the chain through the cut.

Ive noticed a chip size difference between white oak, and other species such as beech and hickory. All using the same chain.

The oak chips are much smaller. I dont have experience with red oak.

Try a 10* " drop" on file handle, and be sure to "push up" on your file stroke. Push stroke only! Those 2 things will get the top plate sharp, and you'll throw chips!

so today i spent more time giving mine a good sharpening and it did cut better but still pretty slow and man that oak is hard stuff. the bigger the tree the harder it is to cut using the whole bar. i definetly need at least a 20" bar if not bigger.
Old red oak isn't particularly hard to cut, unless there's something wrong with your setup. I'll echo what others have said. We need pics of that chain.

Old red oak isn't particularly hard to cut, unless there's something wrong with your setup. I'll echo what others have said. We need pics of that chain.
The hook as others have mentioned is called the gullet. If the saw tooth isn’t sharpened properly you would most likely not get quality wood chips. Watch Buckin Billy Ray Smith on YouTube! He has some of the best tutorials on sharpening a chainsaw chain. Get the gullet friend! 😀

Back