cant get chips instead of sawdust while cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

Farmer_Nate

Better Saws are Better...and Gut that Muffler!
Reaction score
Not much hook on the teeth - too much gullet?
Teeth look worn, a lot of tooth ground away
Rakers look high. The angle doesn't show exactly. A side view photo would help more.

samaritan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As others have said, close detail photos of the cutters on your chain will help- but there is absolutely NO SHAME in not getting the perfect file until you learn the technique that suits you and the timber you are cutting- absolutely 100% none of us were experts in the beginning and if like me you cut a lot of softwoods- you can get away with murder damn near in the filing and still do okay, hardwoods are more demanding.

As for a bigger saw and bigger bar- I would drop any ideas of the MS270 like last months milk. The 51, maybe- but you could do a lot better.
I would be looking at 60cc saws or better. Something like a 262, 266 (365)Husqvarna- or 034, 036 (MS340-360) Stihl.
"like last month's milk" lol!

Squareground3691

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, its final. im an idiot. for the past year ive been using the wrong file for my saw, to small. supposed to be a 3/16 so i picked some up. watched get the gullot on youtube. dude you rock!! cut way better but chain life has been drastically reduced. then i hit i think a nail in the tree cause saw some sparks and no freaking rock there. crap. i think i was using a 5/32 file. i have watched a bunch of billys vids and love em. couple other fellas vids to.
Here’s a example sorted should look like and if your real ambitious, square filing 2DF70FF8-CA73-4A0B-B306-CAE3A3E38D35.jpeg FA8D55D7-3FC3-43E5-BD10-C9D9A030A443.jpeg

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only read the first and last page, so if anyone already said this sorry. If you are cutting logs on the ground you are hitting the dirt. All it takes is an inch long cut in the dirt and it's like sticking your best stake knife on a 12,000 RPM grinder. A few years ago a guy came on here and said he kept buying bad chains, they were dull out of the box. Some one told him to post a pic of where he was cutting, and giving instructions on how to file the saw. His local tree company was dumping logs on his concrete drive way. You could see the marks on the concrete where the tip broke through on every cut. When we called him on it, he said, "Oh, that little bit doesn't hurt". Yes it does, especially if you are seeing sparks fly.

Latest posts