Actual weight of a Husqvarna 555 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on my brief exposer to the 562 I would expect that to be true. The closer the weight gets to the longitudinal centerline of the bar the easier it is to rotate it about that centerline. Twisting and turning while limbing a downed tree will require less effort. It has been years since I have used a saw with such a centralized mass. It was a, don't laugh....a little Dynamark. Lombard sold the same saw, also the little Skill saws with the rear cylinder handled like that. With the fuel and oil tanks in front and the cylinder out the rear it placed the mass of the saw very close to the longitudinal center line of the bar making them a joy to limb with. It seems that Husqvarna has made an effort to replicate that balance with their modern designs. The outboard clutch certainly is the easiest way to get the most gains, moving the mass of the saw just that much closer to the bar.

That is spot on, and it doesn't happen by accident! :D

Wow! I just logged on to see if anyone else had a comment, and I was blown away. Looks like I stirred up the bee hive just a bit. This is what I like to see, everyone communicating. Thanks to everyone who responded. To answer a couple of brief questions and comments, to Mustang Mike, my Stihl MS-362 is the regular base model with no tool-less chain adjuster. Also, as far as I know, my model doesn't have the M tronic carb (its probably about three years old now or close to it). To another respondent, he is correct in that I should have provided photos for the gallery. It could be argued that perhaps I was some nut weighing my towels with the typewriter. In the near future, I will see if I can figure out how to upload a file. Can't be too tough, as others have done it. To the saw troll, thanks for the info on the bucking spikes not being counted into the calculation. I didn't think about that. Most spikes might be up to two ounces. Strangely, one of the factors that made me conscious of this, was my earlier desire to purchase a Stihl MS-361, which most of you know is 12.3 pounds (advertised, I haven't weighed one) and 4.5 H.P. It is one of those legendary saws that is held in high regard by those that own them, and revered for its high HP to weight ratio. As most of you are aware, these saws sell upwards of $500 in serviceable condition. There is no warranty, and many times the purchaser may need to make some refurbishments which also add to the cost. Then I saw the Husqvarna 555 advertised at 12.35 lbs and listing 4.4 hp. Thats mighty close, and with three cans of Husqvarna fuel, there is a 4 year warranty to boot. That is about as close as you are going to come to the Stihl MS-361 weight to HP ratio, and it comes to you brand new, for about the same money as a used Stihl saw. I paid $560 delivered, came with 3 cans of fuel included in the package, and the gentlemen that I was dealing with upgraded my saw with a 20" bar. (I had allot of 18" bars lying around, so that is why I opted for the 20" bar). The H555 still is not broken in, but I love its balance. I paid attention to the break in rules, but that made me nervous as could be. I used Husqvarna oil, mixed 40:1 with no problem. I wanted to go 32:1, but was nervous about the effects with the auto tune device. All I know is, that doesn't seem to be a prudent way to break a new saw in. Right now, I'm getting my taxes together, but in the future, I will post some photos. In case anybody else is interested, I remember weighing a Husqvarna 460 Rancher (PHO) and it came in around 13 1/3 pounds (can't remember the exact decimal fraction. Echo CS-590 also came in around 13.3 pounds (as advertised!) When I get my Stihl MS-362 back on the bench for service, I will take photos of that as well, on the scale, and showing the check weight.

Troll please show me a pic of a 362 that is over 13 lbs that does not have aftermarket parts on it.

The number is from a 2009 KWF test report (6.0 kg really). KWF is a German testing facility.

KWF report on the 562xp say 5.8 kg, which is 12.8 lbs (= consistent with most other results I have seen for the same model). The 560xp report say 5.6 kg (= 12.3 or 12.4 lbs).

Edit, the newest (2014) report on the 362 (CM) also say 6.0 kg (13.2 lbs).
Stihls specs went down, but apparently not the true weight.

The report on the PS-6100 also say 6.0 kg (13.2 lbs).

Based on my brief exposer to the 562 I would expect that to be true. The closer the weight gets to the longitudinal centerline of the bar the easier it is to rotate it about that centerline. Twisting and turning while limbing a downed tree will require less effort. It has been years since I have used a saw with such a centralized mass. It was a, don't laugh....a little Dynamark. Lombard sold the same saw, also the little Skill saws with the rear cylinder handled like that. With the fuel and oil tanks in front and the cylinder out the rear it placed the mass of the saw very close to the longitudinal center line of the bar making them a joy to limb with. It seems that Husqvarna has made an effort to replicate that balance with their modern designs. The outboard clutch certainly is the easiest way to get the most gains, moving the mass of the saw just that much closer to the bar.

Bang on! Hence why the Stihl visually looks bigger also. Hard work getting Stihlheads to see this though!

I appreciate the information Troll, but I think there may be some rounding errors there. The only 13.2s I've seen have had AM parts on them, and I have seen 13 flat on this site, wish I had saved it.

In any event, the difference in wt is a few ounces, you (I) can not feel it when I lift them side by side.

The clutch thing is a whole different issue, depending on your preference.

Troll please show me a pic of a 362 that is over 13 lbs that does not have aftermarket parts on it.

156423136.R4oexYOk.362CMFUllWrap.jpg

Even with a 3/4 it's not over 13 lbs. Still, this is the only pic we have. I would like to see more 362's and 261's.

Wow! I just logged on to see if anyone else had a comment, and I was blown away. Looks like I stirred up the bee hive just a bit. This is what I like to see, everyone communicating. Thanks to everyone who responded. To answer a couple of brief questions and comments, to Mustang Mike, my Stihl MS-362 is the regular base model with no tool-less chain adjuster. Also, as far as I know, my model doesn't have the M tronic carb (its probably about three years old now or close to it). To another respondent, he is correct in that I should have provided photos for the gallery. It could be argued that perhaps I was some nut weighing my towels with the typewriter. In the near future, I will see if I can figure out how to upload a file. Can't be too tough, as others have done it. To the saw troll, thanks for the info on the bucking spikes not being counted into the calculation. I didn't think about that. Most spikes might be up to two ounces. Strangely, one of the factors that made me conscious of this, was my earlier desire to purchase a Stihl MS-361, which most of you know is 12.3 pounds (advertised, I haven't weighed one) and 4.5 H.P. It is one of those legendary saws that is held in high regard by those that own them, and revered for its high HP to weight ratio. As most of you are aware, these saws sell upwards of $500 in serviceable condition. There is no warranty, and many times the purchaser may need to make some refurbishments which also add to the cost. Then I saw the Husqvarna 555 advertised at 12.35 lbs and listing 4.4 hp. Thats mighty close, and with three cans of Husqvarna fuel, there is a 4 year warranty to boot. That is about as close as you are going to come to the Stihl MS-361 weight to HP ratio, and it comes to you brand new, for about the same money as a used Stihl saw. I paid $560 delivered, came with 3 cans of fuel included in the package, and the gentlemen that I was dealing with upgraded my saw with a 20" bar. (I had allot of 18" bars lying around, so that is why I opted for the 20" bar). The H555 still is not broken in, but I love its balance. I paid attention to the break in rules, but that made me nervous as could be. I used Husqvarna oil, mixed 40:1 with no problem. I wanted to go 32:1, but was nervous about the effects with the auto tune device. All I know is, that doesn't seem to be a prudent way to break a new saw in. Right now, I'm getting my taxes together, but in the future, I will post some photos. In case anybody else is interested, I remember weighing a Husqvarna 460 Rancher (PHO) and it came in around 13 1/3 pounds (can't remember the exact decimal fraction. Echo CS-590 also came in around 13.3 pounds (as advertised!) When I get my Stihl MS-362 back on the bench for service, I will take photos of that as well, on the scale, and showing the check weight.

Just a few comments;

- The 555 never was advertised at 4.4 hp, but rather at 4.2

- The 590 is lighter than the 620, mainly because it has a plastic handlebar, and a plastic clutch cover. The advertised power specs is a rather low 4.0 hp (where it is advertised)

- The non US MS361s were advertised at 4.6 hp. Cylinder and muffler were different.

I appreciate the information Troll, but I think there may be some rounding errors there. The only 13.2s I've seen have had AM parts on them, and I have seen 13 flat on this site, wish I had saved it.

In any event, the difference in wt is a few ounces, you (I) can not feel it when I lift them side by side.

The clutch thing is a whole different issue, depending on your preference.
Read from post #21 and on - it has been discussed already in this thread....;)

I had an opportunity to snap two quick photos, first of the scale that I used with a 10 lb check weight from an old scale that was licensed for use in trade. The weight is a little oxidized, but the scale I use is very accurate. The weight is 10.00 pounds but sometimes the scale comes in at 10.01 rather than 10.00 like it did today. Also, I happened to have a Redmax G5300 (PHO) bone dry lying around. Weight came in at 11.40 pounds. The Redmax is a rebadged Husqvarna 353. Both are advertised at 11.0 pounds minus cutting equipment. In some cases, Husqvarna listed weight in Kilograms or 5.0 kg equating to 11.5 pounds to the best of my understanding. When I get some more free time, I will photograph the H555 and the H550XP. Just wanted everyone to know that my scale appears to be spot on.MVC-563F.JPGMVC-559F.JPG

Here is a photo of the Husqvarna 550XP I promised. Saw has bucking spikes on powerhead, fuel and oil reservoirs are bone dry. I also threw in a bonus shot of a Stihl 025, also bone dry, bucking spikes in place. With regard to the Stihl 025, I have weighed one other 025 and also a MS-250 with exactly identical weight readings.MVC-569F.JPGMVC-565F.JPG MVC-565F.JPG

Latest posts

Back