add decomp to stihl 039 cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaugnar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
my stihl guy told me i can drill and tap my 039 cylinder for a decomp.i was a machinist so shouldnt be to hard but any advise or pics would be great.id like to do the same on a ms250 also.

Could in theory do it to any cylinder, but most saws don't need one IMO. I would use the one on my ported 460, mostly because I kept breaking the rope or recoil parts without using it.

i neeed the decomp cause this 039 is getin a popup and portin other than that it is a plastic saw its waitin behind a bunch of better saws(dolm120,husq372+,etc)it was my first mid saw.now im spoilt husq395+dolmar9010?

I have a 360 that is ported, I don't have a decomp on it. I actually put a plug in it.

It's user preference I suppose, but like I answered before, it can be done if you want it.

The elasto-start helps too. Don't get your fingers about ripped off when it kicks back or you didn't put enough ass into the pull.

Almost nobody needs any decomp valve regardless on the saw size. I have three 105 cc plus Stihls with decomp valves that have never been used. I have two Huskies with decomp valves that got used a few times to see what would happen. Maybe if you are not in the best of shape then a decomp valve might make you more comfortable. If you just plain want a easy start button then install a decomp for sure. It will cause the saw a slight amount of performance loss, but maybe not noticeable. On some cylinders the valve will need the hole countersunk so the valve fits flush in the combust chamber. Thanks

Back