Added a WILDTHING to my collection!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on stealing one of the best values in homeowner saws there is!
What you actually did was buy the case and got the saw for free.

The oil pumps are still available new (or they were just a few weeks ago) at poulanpro.com and they are SUPER cheap, and so far, the updated ones seem to be bulletproof.

An afternoon with a dremel, a muffler mod, a little timing advance and a good chain and you will have a saw that will bring tears to the eyes of an 025 owner!

Mike

Congratulations on stealing one of the best values in homeowner saws there is!
What you actually did was buy the case and got the saw for free.

The oil pumps are still available new (or they were just a few weeks ago) at poulanpro.com and they are SUPER cheap, and so far, the updated ones seem to be bulletproof.

An afternoon with a dremel, a muffler mod, a little timing advance and a good chain and you will have a saw that will bring tears to the eyes of an 025
Mike

Mike, hOw Does one advance the timing?

Bob I

Stihl 025

Wow yours looks alot nicer than mine. I see the part number is different on the clutch cover. I wonder how many different ones there are. Nice pics by the way. :)

My 025 has the marking. Not on the cover though....Didn't notice it till after I read this thread and worked on putting the 025 back together.
IMG_4807.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, hOw Does one advance the timing?

Bob I

File away part of the flywheel key with a point file.
Make sure you file away the proper side!!!!!
If you hold the flywheel looking at the bottom...turn the key to the 12 oclock position...now file on the right side of the key.
When you reinstall the flywheel, lock the crank, and turn the flywheel counterclockwise against the stop, then tighten the flywheel nut down tight.

Remember that advance is like "Brylcream" (Google it if you aren't old enough to remember) a little dab'll do ya!
Removing 1/4 to 1/3 of the key is enough!

Mike

My bad, I stand corrected. I was under the impression otherwise. Guess I never needed one, but will remember for just in case.

My bad, I stand corrected. I was under the impression otherwise. Guess I never needed one, but will remember for just in case.

Last time I messed with one the springy gear on the crank had walked away from being engaged with the pump. Hopefully thats all it is.:msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back