Added an MS250 to firewood arsenal today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howard270

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was looking for a lighter saw with some guts to it and since there is no husky or Dolmar dealer within 120 miles, I went with a Stihl (3 dealers in town, 2 are pretty good) and chose the MS250. Wanted the 261 ultimately, but just can't swing that much cash now.

Since dislocating my shoulder I have trouble cutting for very long with the bigger saw and 90% of what I cut is under 10 inches.

Question: What chain do you guys recommend for mostly dirty and long dead black locust. It comes with a 16 inch bar and the RM3 chain. I asked about the RMC and he can order it but does not carry it "due to liability."

I am going to pick it up Wednesday when I have a vehicle in town.

Congrats on the new saw! Don't let the 250 haters bring ya down. They are a great saw for a great price. I think the rmc is a good choice for wood that is a bit dirty. New saw rep on the way!

Congrats on the saw :msp_biggrin:

Get a couple of extra chains and use the chain that comes with it for root cutting and such were rocks are around ya

There are some mod's you can do to that will make that saw even better than it is already; easy mod's

Here is the Stihl chain link Chain Saw Chain - OILOMATIC® and Harvester Saw Chains | STIHL

And here is what I'm running on mine

DSC_4885.jpg

Thanks for the info!

H 2 H, What mods were you referring to? I am assuming the muffler mod, which will happen after the warranty runs out, but what else can I do to maximize this little saw?

Just make sure you get the right gauge, Howard. I think that little saw takes .050, Right? says on the bar. I know my 026 and 261 have an odd way; if you run 3/8 chain, Stihl calls for .050 @ .375 pitch and for .325, it's .063 gauge. And get the stuff with yellow paint on it I can't believe they are worried about liability. Didn't you tell him you're a lawyer?!

Hey, the last 250's I saw had screw caps with male threads on the tank! How is yours made?

This 250 has the floppy caps for oil and gas tanks and the bar calls for .63 gauge chain, not the .50. I thought it would have the .50 but was wrong.

There is a really good Stihl dealer about an hour and a half away, where I used to live and I have to be over there next month and will get the RSC chain and RMC chain from him. He Keeps almost everything in stock.

Thanks for the info!

H 2 H, What mods were you referring to? I am assuming the muffler mod, which will happen after the warranty runs out, but what else can I do to maximize this little saw?

Muffler mod is a big thing at first (did mine about the 2nd or 3rd day I had it)

Taking off the limiter on the "H" screw on the carb and tuning it right was the second thing

The limiter is easy to take off with a pair of needle nose pliers. Just take the air filter off and the two 5/16th nuts that hold the air cleaner housing and two linkage for choke and throtle and slide the carb out about 1/2" and then use needle nose pliers and slide the plastic limiter off. You can leave it off or you can turn down a piece of plactic on a lathe the same dia OD and ID and slide that back on the "H" screw like I did

Porting mine is the next thing im doing to it; but I have other saws Im working with so this is on the back burner till my tach comes in; I hope by Wednesday it will be here

Thanks for the info!

Oh I forgot to say I pick-up and older model muffer from a died Stihl and did the mm'ing to that muffler not the muffler that came with the saw :msp_biggrin:

Congrats on the new saw. I just picked up a used one in excellent shape off of Craigs List a couple of months ago and could not be happier. I now use it for limbing and my Husky for the bigger stuff. Don't get me wrong I love my Husky but the 250 just has a different feel to it that just makes you grin when you use it. After acquiring my second saw I now have a whole new appreciation for CAD. You just can't help but wonder what else is out there that I am missing out on? As for the chain it was recommended that I run a Stihl 26 RMC3 68 on mine. You are in for a treat, enjoy!!!

........ After acquiring my second saw I now have a whole new appreciation for CAD. You just can't help but wonder what else is out there that I am missing out on? As for the chain it was recommended that I run a Stihl 26 RMC3 68 on mine. You are in for a treat, enjoy!!!

MS 441 STIHL Magnum :msp_biggrin:

Congrats on the new saw! Don't let the 250 haters bring ya down. They are a great saw for a great price. I think the rmc is a good choice for wood that is a bit dirty. New saw rep on the way!

heck yeah don't let them get you down i own one and it has a 18 inch with full chisel and i had it in wood up to 24 inch and it never did bogg out on me yet.

so don't let them get you down on that kind of size saw they have a lot of power to be the little they are. NEW Saw rep on the way

Last edited:
I automatically switch from RSC to RMC when cutting standing-dead or dead-‘n’-down anymore… the RMC just stays sharp and cuts so much longer it’s worth the tiny performance hit. I don’t care for the RMC3 though, it’s more of a performance hit than I’m willing to put up with… and it’s a bear to set the depth gauges once the cutters start to shorten. But it’s fairly easy to convert RMC3 (green) to the RMC (yellow)… just clamp the chain in a vise and use a cut-off wheel in a die grinder or angle grinder to remove the extra “safety” humps. I use a small piece of bent and slotted steel to protect the cutter in case I “ooooppps”. The last time I needed a couple loops the dealer didn’t have any “yellow” RMC on-hand so I had him order some and just bought one “green” loop and converted it until the “yellow” arrived. He didn’t even have any .325 RMC in bulk… said he sells mostly RSC (I believe that) and keeps the RMC3 around for selling to rookies and first-time saw owners.

Stihl chain is darn good stuff, you’ll like it… for durability and holding an edge there just flat ain’t any better chain made… takes a good, clean file to sharpen it though.

I'm no chainsaw expert but my MS250 has exceeded expectations. It's my go-to saw for anything 12" diameter and smaller. It also seems to run forever on a tank of gas.

Picked up the MS250 yesterday and got it to the house. It was getting dark so I just put it in the shed. Didn't even have time to fill it with fuel or oil.

Sat down in the parking shed and was able to read the manual before it got plumb dark and let the dogs run around a bit barking at the horses and eating my hog bait. (Any chance to stay outside when it is nice I will take).

Will try to get some pics this afternoon if I can. I bought an extra RM3 chain (only type they had) with it so I can have a spare, but will pick up a couple RMC and RSC when I get back over to the Duncan area next month.

Picked up the MS250 yesterday and got it to the house. It was getting dark so I just put it in the shed. Didn't even have time to fill it with fuel or oil.

Sat down in the parking shed and was able to read the manual before it got plumb dark and let the dogs run around a bit barking at the horses and eating my hog bait. (Any chance to stay outside when it is nice I will take).

Will try to get some pics this afternoon if I can. I bought an extra RM3 chain (only type they had) with it so I can have a spare, but will pick up a couple RMC and RSC when I get back over to the Duncan area next month.

Congrats :)

Chain will make a huge difference those chains it comes with are for someone that dont use saws alot :)

Back