Added an MS250 to firewood arsenal today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the new MS250, Howard. It's only 1/2 pound heavier than my little MS211, and I think it does a super job for 12" and under. So you ougta be very happy with yours.

I love my little 025. I've cut many cords with it, with very little problems. I run a 18" bar on my saw, and have buried the bar many times. The 025 was my only saw for a few years and I cut 8-10 cords a year with it. Now that I repaired my 041 and bought my 455 rancher, I don't use the 025 as often. I'll use the 025 for smaller stuff now. Good little saw.

I took the saws out yesterday for a couple hours to unwind after leveling sandhills we are sprigging with Bermuda grass. I only used the MS361 for cutting off a black locust that had broken over.
Used the MS250 for everything else, cutting only hedge and black locust, mostly long dead and dried. I was surprised at how light and agile this saw is. I cut for 2 full hours and only had to take breaks to move brush out of the way and not worry about my shoulder. It is amazing what just a few pounds difference makes.

Timed them both cutting an 8 inch dead black locust. 361 took 4 seconds while 250 took over 6 seconds. Still was able to get more done due to not have to stop and pop or stretch my shoulder.

Have about 2 tanks of gas through it and can tell it is getting stronger. May get to run another couple through it today and be able to give a review once it's broke in. I got right at a true cord cut yesterday for next winter, but need to pick it all up before I can get to more trees in my little clearing.

Pics to come.

Forgot to type above. It claims to have a 16 inch bar, but the bar measures 14 inches from tip to the bucking spikes. To get 16 inches I have to measure just behind the first bar nut when checking length of the log prior to cutting.

I ended up putting an 18" on my MS250 and never had an issue. Well; the easy start feature is an issue because i just can't get used to it after firing up the 660.
But in all honesty Enjoy the MS250. It's a great little saw.

I know the bar on my MS 250 is stamped 18" but when I get back this afternoon I will measure from tip to the doggs what it really measures :msp_smile:

I got a 250"c" and I love it!!! heck my 10yr. old son can start it:biggrin:, I use mine on 99.9% pecan and have cut into some decent stuff 12-18" dia. and as long as you dont push it, it does great. Not to high jack the tread but what is the "muffler mod" I have read about? thanks

Roy

I got a 250"c" and I love it!!! heck my 10yr. old son can start it:biggrin:, I use mine on 99.9% pecan and have cut into some decent stuff 12-18" dia. and as long as you dont push it, it does great. Not to high jack the tread but what is the "muffler mod" I have read about? thanks

Roy
I would say forget the muffler mod. This saw is a powerful limbing saw and great for small bucking and occasional noodling, Use it for that and forget muffler modifying. Wear ear protection and then treat your ears to more silent power.

Treat it right and this saw will bring in 80% of all the firewood you will ever cut.

Roy

Roy,

The muffler mod is opening up the muffler to allow the saw to breath better, kinda like when you run and have to breathe through your nose instead of your mouth. I did it to my MS361 and it gained about 10 to 15% in power and speed. I don't know if I will do it with the MS250 or not. Have 2 years of warranty first. If you want to find out just type in muff mod or MS250 and read the threads, there is a recent thread in chainsaw forum about a muffler mod on the MS250.

I took the MS250 out with me today, and had only planned on loading what I cut yesterday but wound up using it a bit. Cut a 20 inch black locust with a little rot inside and it bogged down just a little, but I guess that is normal cause I lowered the rakers a tad more than I should have last night while filing. Then cut some smaller hedge 4 to 7 inches and was impressed with how it did. The smaller hedge is what it will be used on 75% of the time so that is what matters.

I took pics of half of what I cut yesterday with the 250 and the few bigger cuts with my MS361, and also the loaded trailer and pickup for heading home. Have to upload from my computer later.

Break in Cutting

I was able to take the MS250 for a break-in run Saturday afternoon after I leveled some sandhills we are sprigging with Bermuda Grass. I used the MS361 to cut off the broken-over limb on the Black Locust. I did time the 2 saws cutting a 7 inch piece of the black locust. THe muff modded 361 cut it in 4 seconds, while the new stock 250 cut it in just over 6 seconds.

Here are the photos. I had over half of the wood loaded before I remembered to take some pics.

This is about a third of what I cut with the MS250. It is all downed black locust in this pic. I will add updates to my Cleanup/Firewood thread of more pictures showing the progress.
attachment.php

View attachment 229739

Here is the trailer loaded and ready to head home.
attachment.php

View attachment 229745

The cuts I made with the MS 361. Cut off branch then cut these few rounds.
attachment.php

View attachment 229746

A quick stump I cut to file in the field.
attachment.php

View attachment 229747

I think all my other saws are jealous of my 250. Often it is the only saw that gets to play. It is enough saw in a lot of situations -- especially if we are just cutting pine.

Thinks its time to use my 250 and maybe the 261 for a few hours bye ;)

Two tanks thru the 261 and one tank thru the 250 :msp_biggrin:

Having some lunch then the fun stuff hauling; spliting and stacking

Latest posts

Back