adding a chimney and fireplace to new to me house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus103363

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
went with the wife today to look at a new to us house. we have talked about it for several years and are finally fixing to pull the trigger. Went and looked at out dream home. less than 1000 yards from my where i grew up. But this house is all electric!!! No fireplace! The living room is on an exterior wall in the back, so i don't see why I couldn't add a chimney and a fireplace. Has any of you done this before or have any pointers as to what this mite cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better look into city ordinances as I live in CAlifornia and that wouldn't be allowed.In fact all new construction can't have a fireplace either

Yes, it can be done but first check with your Insurance company and local codes. If you are fairly handy and can tackle the install yourself it can be done for $1200 on up. Yes, you could do it cheaper,(Franklin stove and single wall pipe) but do it right the first time or you might not get a second time. The chimney will run about $30 per foot for insulated stainless, the fireplace price depends on your tastes... $$$ to $$$$, and miscellaneous materials to finish (hearth, mantle) it can cost hundreds as well. I would venture a guess of $3000 for a nice install

+1 on that, fireplaces are serious wood gobblers, almost no heat output. The GOOD ones are somewhere in the 10% efficiency range! Some are zero, even negative. :eek: Are you guys in love with the brick fireplace look or would a free standing stove work. You could run a stainless class A chimney out through the wall. Build a chase around it outside if looks are an issue. That would be a whole heck of alot cheaper than building a masonry chimney! But even if you go with the classic chimney, I second HD2010, put a wood burning insert in it, there are some really good looking inserts out there with glass fire view doors. Efficient wood usage and tons of heat output! Win-Win

And when you install that wood burning stove, make sure you install a conduit for outside air to the firebox. This is essential if you want a warm house.

Live a positive life!

I'm sorry, i call our insert a fireplace. i guess its a southern thing. Yes absolutely we would be building a chimney and a "fireplace" for a wood burning insert.

We bought a home last August and I bought a used freestanding wood stove that I installed myself. It was the same stove that we had in the last house except in the last house it was in insert.

The stove I bought used last August came with a length of black pipe, a collar 8' of triple wall stainless pipe and a stainless cap. I had a ceiling box made and I put the whole thing in myself.

The freestanding model puts out a lot more heat compared to the same stove as an insert. A freestanding stove was very easy to install. I had it installed start to finish in one day. It was also relatively inexpensive compared to building a fireplace and chimney.

went with the wife today to look at a new to us house. we have talked about it for several years and are finally fixing to pull the trigger. Went and looked at out dream home. less than 1000 yards from my where i grew up. But this house is all electric!!! No fireplace! The living room is on an exterior wall in the back, so i don't see why I couldn't add a chimney and a fireplace. Has any of you done this before or have any pointers as to what this mite cost?

the one thing you might want to check on. your electric rates,are most likely set by TOTAL elec house. and if the elec co sees the wood burner,,you may pay standard rates for your elec.......like from 2 c's a kw,,to 15 c's!!!

Seems like a lot of work for nothing. I love the lbook of a nice freestanding wood burner and you can really do up what you set it on and the wall behind it. As already mentioned way more efficient and IMO more cost effective

Back