Advice - 266XP First saw, needs repairs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a silver tag Tomos saw of mine, it does not follow the Swedish time date system according to Saw Troll.

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

I slid the brake off the drum with a screwdriver and got it off. It seems the brake is definately pooched. Even removed, it only moves less than half an inch. So I'll post some pics I took in hopes of identifing what model of 266 it is. The cylinder and side skirts of the piston appeared to me to have no scraps, scratches, or markings. The piston rotated smoothly when turned by hand. I guess the next step is compression test? I did the best I could to get some shots of the p & c but they were all blurry. The last pic is of the backyard for the nature lover's.

Attachments

• IMG_2429.JPG
    IMG_2429.JPG
    657.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2430.JPG
    IMG_2430.JPG
    578.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2431.JPG
    IMG_2431.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    615 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    763.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2439.JPG
    IMG_2439.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    781.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    922.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    788.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 23
One of the 4 screws for the recoil cover is missing. And some genius used three different types of wood screws for the top cover. I'm worried the threads might be buggered. Is there a place to get replacement screws?

I already taped off the exhaust side to protect it. Of course the only thing I have to check the bore is a pencil. So I marked 50mm on the pencil and stuck it through the intake side. It's tight to see but it does look like it's a 50 mm bore. What would the bore be for a 66?

Hey Ronie. I just meant it didn't help identifying the model. I wasn't commenting on it's performance.

I already taped off the exhaust side to protect it. Of course the only thing I have to check the bore is a pencil. So I marked 50mm on the pencil and stuck it through the intake side. It's tight to see but it does look like it's a 50 mm bore. What would the bore be for a 66?
I think a 61, 162 and the 66 had a 48mm bore.

This is from a thread on another forum.

66 is an open port saw. (not the "bad thing' that many make it out to be.) It uses the same cylinder as the non-XP 268 which replaced it in the lineup. 66 shares the same twin coil ignition as the 266 and all first generation saws in this family. And the 66 was near the end of that first generation and therefore has the plastic tank that takes the course thread mounts. I think it was only on the market for a couple years here in the US so you don't see very many of them.

While looking through the spark plug hole to see if it was open or closed port, I do see some verticle lines on the cylinder wall. I can't find any manufacturer's name on the jug. Just a B by the spark plud hole.

Latest posts

Back