Advice - 266XP First saw, needs repairs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the first number of the serial being a 3 isn't the year? Just curious because I'm looking at the Rancher 50 I just got and trying to decipher the serial tag.

Attachments

• IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
I just rebuilt 2 266s i replaced
H l supply had meteor 266xp pistons for 22.00 not sure about canada prices.
Carb kit
Fuel line
Crank Seals
O ring for the oil pump
Both of them are 180+ comp at my elevation.
Very simple saws to work on.
I would thoroughly clean everything first
I pressure wash them to each his own.
That could be your chain brake issue
With crud built up in the mechanism.
Causing it not to reset
You could chase the topcover threads with a 4mm threading bit
If they are too damaged rethread them for 5mm
Very good saws my favorites
i think i have about 6 266s
And a bunch of 268/272s
I still cut timber with them.

So the first number of the serial being a 3 isn't the year? Just curious because I'm looking at the Rancher 50 I just got and trying to decipher the serial tag.
That is a very early 50 crankcase you've got there. 1984. The sintered-plastic oil tank vent held in place by a star washer next to the oil cap gives it away. The original fuel tank would also have the same kind of vent into the space between the top of the tank and the crankcase. Both are prone to leaking.
Does it have a white cylinder cover like the one in this IPL?

Attachments

• husi1984_aaaa50_.pdf
    215.4 KB · Views: 2
Yes it has the white top and the black embossed handle that says "Rancher" It also came with a side cover for a 2100CD if anyone needs one. It's a jigsaw puzzle being completely disassembled by someone else. No bar or chain. I'll post pics of the new cylinder and piston. The original cylinder is a MahIe 44ZD10 + I could be wrong, but the new cylinder looks to be very poor quality.
The first two pics are of the 266 brake. I still have to clean it up more. It looks like one of the tabs at the top is bent but not sure. The rest of the pics are the Rancher 50. It has two extra tops from something else and the two 2100CD side plates as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2465.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    883.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2466.JPG
    IMG_2466.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    1,014.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2469.JPG
    IMG_2469.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2470.JPG
    IMG_2470.JPG
    900 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2471.JPG
    IMG_2471.JPG
    946.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2472.JPG
    IMG_2472.JPG
    749.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2473.JPG
    IMG_2473.JPG
    830.1 KB · Views: 14
More pics

Attachments

• IMG_2474.JPG
    IMG_2474.JPG
    938.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2475.JPG
    IMG_2475.JPG
    662.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2476.JPG
    IMG_2476.JPG
    816 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    860.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2480.JPG
    IMG_2480.JPG
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2481.JPG
    IMG_2481.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
The owner of the Rancher said it burned a hole in the piston(bad gas mixture??) and his son disassemled it and never finished it. There is a a crack in the housing beside the black circle above the gas filler cap.

Yes it has the white top and the black embossed handle that says "Rancher" It also came with a side cover for a 2100CD if anyone needs one. It's a jigsaw puzzle being completely disassembled by someone else. No bar or chain. I'll post pics of the new cylinder and piston. The original cylinder is a MahIe 44ZD10 + I could be wrong, but the new cylinder looks to be very poor quality.
The first two pics are of the 266 brake. I still have to clean it up more. It looks like one of the tabs at the top is bent but not sure. The rest of the pics are the Rancher 50. It has two extra tops from something else and the two 2100CD side plates as well.
The black "Rancher" snap-in inserts cover the holes where heating elements would be fitted on model 154SG which used the same tank. (They were later changed to plain orange.)
The "44" on the Mahle cylinder indictes the bore size. 44 x 32 = 48.66cc.
The replacement cylinder looks like non-OEM, Apart from apparent indifferent quality, other clues are the lack of of an M4 threaded hole in the top (only needed when fitted to a Partner 500) and the hole for a decompression valve. If it is OEM it might be 51cc (45nn bore) or 53cc (46mm bore) and have the mounting screws further apart. Have you compared the piston diameter and bolt circle diameter with the Mahle?
Shame about the crack

Does the crack mean it's not fixable? The replacement cylinder looks like a very poor casting to me but I'm a newbie to chainsaws.

Does the crack mean it's not fixable? The replacement cylinder looks like a very poor casting to me but I'm a newbie to chainsaws.
You have a 36 year old saw that looks like it's been well and truly used. It shouldn't take too much effort or expense to just "make it go" so you can start it up and do a few cuts now and then, using many of the the parts you've got.
However to "restore" it or prepare it for serious use would be another matter altogether IMO.

Things I noticed which may or may not be significant.
One of the 6 x 8nn head (M4) crankcase bolts is protruding a fair way out on the flywheel side suggesting that It may not be the correct length or the right kind of bolt.
The clutch is protruding outside the drum. (Could be just that the drum is displaced because the oil pump is removed.)
There's quite a bit of missing paint on the crankcase, abraded away over time by vibration against plastic housings. The orange paint is baked powdered enamel, electrostatically applied, so it doesn't come off easily.

The crack is in a place I wouldn't expect to find one. Maybe the saw got dropped or something fell on it. The starter housing not only hides it but should help hold it together to some extent. (I have no experience with "JB Weld" or equivalents.)
Check the big-end for radial play. None should be detectable by feel. (Axial play is ok. The big-end is axially aligned by the little-end in the piston.)
Main bearings and seals are cheap and available. Many non-genuine and non-critical parts (e.g. anti-vibration mounts, ignition, starter parts) are available from HUZTL in China.
The replacement cylinder and piston don't look great but they don't look terrible either. Critical thing is the piston-pin circlips. If they're no good they can "leave home" with messy consequences.

Latest posts

Back