Advice on how best to get pro saw dirt cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelpfulHatchet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So the 18" Craftsman I bought new last year isnt able to do what I need to do with it so Im wondering if I can possibly afford to upgrade to an 18" used pro saw. Is that going to be out of reach financially for someone with little income and will need to do odd jobs to raise the money for?
I dont use a saw professionally. I live in Wichita, KS and I use it to help clean up fallen, usually very dead, trees for people that can't (always too old or sick) I also do other stuff to get them out of trouble with the city inspector like clean out trash from the yard or cut long grass and weeds. Trees and limbs cant legally stay on the ground here so I cut them, stack them and put the wood on FB marketplace for folks to have. This kerps them out of court and away from high abatement costs which they cant afford.
The last couple of trees got my saw so hot it just stopped starting up and I had to make a second trip which means someone had to wait for help. That hurts so Im just putting out the question so I know what kind of saw (brand/model) to keep an eye out for and what I should consider a good price. Thanks for reading.

Stihl MS260, MS280
Husqvarna 346, 266, 359
Echo CS520, cs680, cs590

Are a few popular saws that will pull 18" to 22" depending on a few factors..some can handle 24". Prices vary from saw to saw.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

The most bang for the buck for new will be echo 490 or 590. You can find good deals on eBay. You can find decent deals on used pro saws on the for sale section of this site. Not dirt cheap though. You can look for a non running one and fix it. Still not dirt cheap though. Good luck.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Ask the people that you do work for if they have junk saws laying around. If they have something decent knock a few bucks off the bill for it. I’ve gotten some good older saws that way. It might not be a big name brand but some of the older Poulan and Craftsman saws that people thing are worthless are good saws that would fit your needs.

Ask the people that you do work for if they have junk saws laying around. If they have something decent knock a few bucks off the bill for it. I’ve gotten some good older saws that way. It might not be a big name brand but some of the older Poulan and Craftsman saws that people thing are worthless are good saws that would fit your needs.
Good idea [emoji106]

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Pro saws? I tend to think of Stihl and Husqvarna/Husky. Maybe Dolmar/Makita. Home Depot sells used rentals at a good price. Good luck finding those dirt cheap though.

You don't sound like you need a true pro saw though. I'll bet you run into a usable saw pretty soon. The carb jets may be clogged due to ethanol gas of course.Won't start with 1000 pulls. But carb can be rebuilt.

The budget is important. Sub $300 is tough. All my pro equipment, Husqvarna 359, 575xp, 576xp, 266SE I got excellent deals on but had to wait or hunt.
I would avoid Stihl as they tend to be less saw for the dollar, but the dealer/aftermarket support is stronger than the rest.
Buying new, Echo or Makita/ Dolmar seem to have a value edge.

Home Depot used saws save 50% or more off a new saw. One of the most popular is the Makita 6421 for around $300, add a $200 79cc top end and you are $500 into a $800 pro 79cc saw. There is one on Denver fb marketplace for $200 right now. The 4300 which is a smaller saw runs about $200. I picked one up as third owner for $160. Was in good shape and runs well.

Unless the cylinder plating is worn through most pro saws can be completely re-built top to bottom with OEM parts and a Meteor piston for around $100 or less.
Yes...and that takes time and skill and tools and hopefully the source of the problem was corrected. Building / repairing is a hobby for many, not for all. Some just see a saw as a tool to be used.

Yes...and that takes time and skill and tools and hopefully the source of the problem was corrected. Building / repairing is a hobby for many, not for all. Some just see a saw as a tool to be used.
I agree, but you said "money pit". Usually when folks have no money though they make up for it with other things they do have. Like time. Plus the membership here is always willing to help with knowledge.

Back