Advice on my Stihl 041Av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-041-av-su...&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=5414303016182086759

This ad lists a starter assembly for a "super" This should be a compatible housing correct?Too bad it didn't have the the flywheel shroud part that bolts to the inside of that cover.:bang:
That would fix two problems at once if it had both halves.

Yes it would, I should say, I think lots of parts from Stihl for 041's are NLA.
But the pawl starter parts should be. You will need to check with
a dealer for that. Just like in the ebay add, you would need a gas tank
gasket or make your own.

TT

Well I won that auction for that starter.So it looks like I am going to try and save this old saw.I will get that on there and then try and do a compresion check but i am sure the p&c are toast.Spike60 has a P&C for me so I think I will swap that in,and check the bearings and seals.Gonna have to get the air shroud piece at some point in time.Then a gasket set and a carb kit.
I pulled the fan off,and the flywheel has the 2 rectagulaR slots for adjusting points.I didn't have a flashlight on me,but I didnt see a set of breaker points in there.Maybe I missed it(should have had a light with me) or is it possible to have electronic ignition?I could see a black piece which look to be the coils windings.I will have to look into it more tomorrow.
I had given no hope for this saw,as I figured it wasn't worth it.But now I am actually looking forward to bringing it back to life.:chainsawguy:

I have a Aunt that lives in your town, I love the 041's for light work, I have 3 of them and lots of extra parts , they are a great work horse and almost never break. I bet it will last longer than the newer plastic saws of today . good luck with it.

I have a Aunt that lives in your town, I love the 041's for light work, I have 3 of them and lots of extra parts , they are a great work horse and almost never break. I bet it will last longer than the newer plastic saws of today . good luck with it.

All I have right now is my 025 for everything from felling to cutting the wood all up.So hopefully this works out for me for now.
Galveston is nice town with good people.I have grown up here ,and live on the same property when my parents moved here when i was 1yr old.
What is the biggest bar you would run on your 041?

Well I won that auction for that starter.So it looks like I am going to try and save this old saw.I will get that on there and then try and do a compresion check but i am sure the p&c are toast.Spike60 has a P&C for me so I think I will swap that in,and check the bearings and seals.Gonna have to get the air shroud piece at some point in time.Then a gasket set and a carb kit.
I pulled the fan off,and the flywheel has the 2 rectagulaR slots for adjusting points.I didn't have a flashlight on me,but I didnt see a set of breaker points in there.Maybe I missed it(should have had a light with me) or is it possible to have electronic ignition?I could see a black piece which look to be the coils windings.I will have to look into it more tomorrow.
I had given no hope for this saw,as I figured it wasn't worth it.But now I am actually looking forward to bringing it back to life.:chainsawguy:

Stihl has been dropping some the 041 parts (NLA)
Cylinder gasket is NLA, my dealer had 4 and I bought them all.
You mite to have yo make some gaskets or get lucky and find
a older dealer that has some old parts on hand. Muffler gasket is NLA also.
As is clutch bearing as July 2010.

is it possible to have electronic ignition?..... Very

Good Night,
TT

All I have right now is my 025 for everything from felling to cutting the wood all up.So hopefully this works out for me for now.
Galveston is nice town with good people.I have grown up here ,and live on the same property when my parents moved here when i was 1yr old.
What is the biggest bar you would run on your 041?

I run up to 25 inch without a problem , not tons of power but they have lots of torque to keep the chain moving. ( the good thing with the heavy saws) you don't have to bend over much with the 25" bar. I have used them for over 15 years now and still love the old heavy things. good luck with it.

I run up to 25 inch without a problem , not tons of power but they have lots of torque to keep the chain moving. ( the good thing with the heavy saws) you don't have to bend over much with the 25" bar. I have used them for over 15 years now and still love the old heavy things. good luck with it.

That's what i need to run is a 25" or so bar.I am glad to here that these model saws have the grunt to get the job done.I am not worried about how fast it gets through the wood.I just want to get through it with one cut.
Trigger-time, looks like I will have to stop by the local dealer ,and see what they have when I get a chance.Looks like ebay might have to be my friend on some of this stuff.

Yes it would, I should say, I think lots of parts from Stihl for 041's are NLA.
But the pawl starter parts should be. You will need to check with
a dealer for that. Just like in the ebay add, you would need a gas tank
gasket or make your own.

TT

I picked up starter pawls last year. I don't have any experience with the friction type, but the plastic pawls lasted from '77 to 2009. Not too shabby. Oiler parts were supposed to be NLA as of this year, including whole oiler assemblies. I checked the price of whole units last year and damn near fainted!

A word of advice, don't run the oiler adjust knob in all the way as it will destroy the oiler, I know from experience.;) The manual confirmed it, but I only read the manual after the fact and was highly enlightened to say the least.

I considered making a tank gasket, but found a good deal on a kit on ebay so I put the Exacto back in the drawer. The kit included base gasket and a number of others that were either NLA at the time or soon to be. The kit I got was not a Stihl, but an aftermarket deal and I was happy with the quality/price.

There were a blue million of these saws made and I think Stihl is dropping the ball with discontinuing their parts support, but I suppose they'd sell less new saws if everyone keeps breathing new life into these old machines.

I have newer saws to pick from, but always find myself reaching for the 041AV. JJuday

041's just keep going and going and going
Lot of them still in use as fire wood saws

IMO the only mod 041 needs, is to replace 041's screws
with Stihls newer type screws. Same goes for 056
Love to hear the 041 and 056 saws run.

TT

Latest posts

Back