Advice on New or Used Chipper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZLOGGER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Some where between the desert & the trees! AZ
I am wondering what you folks would recommend on purchasing a chipper, we had a very wet,heavy snow about two weeks ago and it broke a lot of tree branches off and split a bunch of other trees. I have had a lot of home-owners calling me about chipping up the branches for them and they would use the chips for mulch or whatever(there-fore I would not need a truck to haul off the chips). From the looks of things it would have to be capable of handling at least 9" material, probably nothing larger than that. I would like one with a diesel engine as I have a transfer tank already installed in my diesel pickup. And last but not least the unit would be chipping mostly Sycamore,Cottonwood,Italian Cypress,Eucalyptus,Pine, and whatever else they have planted arround here.
Thanks for your help!
Robert:cheers:

Always buy new if you can afford it. If not, try to get a used one that you know the history or owner, but most likely you will not. Chippers do get abused a lot. I would also get one that is capable of chipping twice the size of the branches you would be feeding on a regular basis. A 9 inch chipper would be good if you are chipping mostly 4 inch and smaller stuff and just very few 6-9 inch logs. I would strongly recommend a 12 inch machine at a minimum.

PM me if you are serious about getting a chipper.

We have used 12" Disc with atleast 80HP Diesel engines. You won't regret buying a larger chipper. Too bad you aren't in the Northeast and we have a couple Morbark 12" with Cummins diesel completely rebuilt for $9500.

Back