Advice on Purchasing a New Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer. I think my circular saw is malfunctioning.
The safety lock button won't stay put on the left or right and the trigger won't engage because of this.
This isn't normal is it??

The good news is I read the manuals, charged the batteries, inserted the blade in the reciprocal saw, tried out the drill/driver and the little flashlight. The drill/driver is actually heavier than the saw, which isn't very heavy at all.
The bad news is, I guess I'll have to pack it all up and return it tomorrow.
I was suspicious since the box looked like it had been resealed, but it was the only one on the shelf. I made a point to ask the clerk if it could be returned if something was wrong with it.

The safety lock button won't stay put on the left or right and the trigger won't engage because of this.

The good news is I read the manuals, charged the batteries, inserted the blade in the reciprocal saw, tried out the drill/driver and the little flashlight. The drill/driver is actually heavier than the saw, which isn't very heavy at all.
I was suspicious since the box looked like it had been resealed, but it was the only one on the shelf. I made a point to ask the clerk if it could be returned if something was wrong with it.

Well, That stinks. If you push the button over the trigger won't go in? Some of those had a trigger lock button and you had to start the saw then push it over to lock the trigger.

So there's a bit of a trick to it... like child-proof bottle caps.:p

Whew! I'm glad. I wanted to try out the sawzall tomorrow. :D It came with a bi-metal short blade I think I'll try that first on something small. If it had a light on it like the drill/driver, I'd go try it out now.:)
You just have to hold the button in before pulling trigger, It will automatically release the button when you get off the trigger. About all power tools work that way.

That's normal. You have to actuate the button then the trigger switch. The trigger switch then holds the safety button down. Takes some getting used to but it makes carrying the saw safer.

Now for the bonus round. Who can clear a jam faster, a MIG welder trying to unjam a thread feed on a sewing machine, or a sewing machine operator trying to clear a wire feed jam in a MIG welder. ;)

Millermatic_350P_Double_Roller_Aluminum_Push_Feed.jpg

And for the extra special bonus round, figure out why the baler knotter on a piece of equipment 20+ year older than you are is not tying right, then weld up, and grind down at the right spot(because there haven't been replacement parts made in 50 years).

http://www.ntractorclub.com/cgi/viewit.cgi?fb=manuals&th=5322

mf4.jpg

Sisal rope trying gadgets, truly the spawn of hell, as the tension varied depending on temperature, moisture, relative contamination, and phase of the moon. :D

That is normal for the circular saw. It's a PITA but it's the safety feature. You need to hold the safety botton down in either direction to be able to operate the saw trigger. Either direction works so right and lefties can use it. It's awkward but you will get use to it. Those little circular saws are handy. I had no problem ripping a 8 foot sheet of 1" oak plywood with my little saw. You just have to make sure the blade isn't getting pinched and it will sing right through things.

The safety button on the sawz-all is not the same. On my PC it is just a lock or unlock switch. Nothing fancy that you have to manipulate each time you want to run it.

Sisal rope trying gadgets, truly the spawn of hell, as the tension varied depending on temperature, moisture, relative contamination, and phase of the moon. :D
Sounds rather feminine to me lol.
Oh and BTW, my bet is the sewing operator clearing the mig jam faster than the mig operator clearing the sewing machine jam lol.

Latest posts

Back