Advice on Purchasing a New Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo 3xx would be a reasonable alternative if you have a dealer.

The other options will be more $.

I like ECHOs, but we don't expect you to become a service tech.

That's why the Stihl line was recommended originally: after Sale support.

I'm a fan of echos... I think Stihl and echo support are dependent on a dealer to dealer basis... there is no one on AS here local to help her out on buying saws/good dealer info?!

I'm a fan of echos... I think Stihl and echo support are dependent on a dealer to dealer basis... there is no one on AS here local to help her out on buying saws/good dealer info?!
I picked up a 355T yesterday with intention to buy, and compare with my 200t: I decided against it as I want to learn a bit more about it first.

I picked up a 355T yesterday with intention to buy, and compare with my 200t: I decided against it as I want to learn a bit more about it first.

Had a buddy on here grab a 355T and really really liked it esp after afew tanks... prior Stihl guy living the echo can't beat it.

Can you be more specific - what would you recommend?
First off I DONOT recomend the entry level of any saw brand.

Second, there are many quality brands out there worth consideration. Brand names I would consider:
Dolmar=Makita, Echo=Shindaiwa, Husqvarna=Jonsered, Hitachi=Tanaka, Stihl

Third, any small engine mechanic should be able to set your carburator correctly, irrespective of brand. So for my the glorification of certain brands is absolut foolish.

Forth, going ith premix is definately the easiet for you. Premix has a storage life of about 5 years! So there shouldn't be any major problems. Of course this accounts always ONLY for correctly stored oin a dark ambient room.
IMPORTANT, if running premix have the carb set prior to running. Your saw might be incorrectly set and die a premature death if not!

What would I choose?
Dolmar ps35, Echo 400, Husqvarna 435, Hitachi cs40ea, Stihl 211
or similar.

What would I NEVER buy in your sitution?
A used saw! There is so much junk out there for inflated prices where the savings are marginal compared to brand new. Absolutely notworth it in my eyes.

Where would I buy?
From a reputable dealer in your area or from a online dealer that is also a member here (f.e. @fordf150 , @166 ). Absolutely great members / dealers with flawless record.

Further, wartch the videos by Husqvarna and Stihl on chainsaw maintenance, care , how to use , etc. The technqiues are quite universal.

Good luck!

DONOT get hard toe boots out of composite material when working with a chainsaw! It will easily cut right threw without a single blink! There are enough vids on the net about this topic! Steel toe is the way to go!

Sorry for my bad english but I'm not so great with a pad.

More excellent advice! TY!
I just bought the book on Amazon. I want to know everything there is to know, and how to do it, about a chain saw before I operate one. Sure as heck don't want to loose an eye, or worse!!! You guys are great! About the b/f with a chain saw... are you making me an offer?
:p

hey gurly! ~ if that avatar of yours is any indication of what is available as the prize... don't see how I couldn't consider just that!! ;)

Man you all make it hard to contain my inner juvenile.
I mean the comments are endless. B/f with a big saw, long bar, and good at moving wood. Man I am such a 13 year old. Glad I got that kept on a leash.

you did good, imo! I can see u straining!!! but u kept it inline for General Audiences!! :clap::clap:

DONOT get hard toe boots out of composite material when working with a chainsaw! It will easily cut right threw without a single blink! There are enough vids on the net about this topic! Steel toe is the way to go!

Sorry for my bad english but I'm not so great with a pad.

Yeah, holding logs with your feet is kinda not such a hot option, even with steel toe boots.
A timberjack, MUCH BETTER option. :p
http://www.amazon.com/Woodchuck-Tools-Timberjack-logging-chainsaw-forestry/dp/B00C4WQ10A

Boots should be purchased with consideration for traction, and crush resistance. Your toes should be nowhere near the cut path of the chainsaw. If cutting up old wood pallets, nail resistance is also a good thing for your boots to have.

For those who are a bit crazy with the chainsaw, there are provisions though. Kevlar socks.
http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/kevlar-socks
and kevlar boots http://joesignsequipment.com/newsit...id=319&zenid=504e2ea9611e9a0226df15aeeaaf530c

Yeah, holding logs with your feet is kinda not such a hot option, even with steel toe boots.
A timberjack, MUCH BETTER option. :p
http://www.amazon.com/Woodchuck-Tools-Timberjack-logging-chainsaw-forestry/dp/B00C4WQ10A

Boots should be purchased with consideration for traction, and crush resistance. Your toes should be nowhere near the cut path of the chainsaw. If cutting up old wood pallets, nail resistance is also a good thing for your boots to have.

For those who are a bit crazy with the chainsaw, there are provisions though. Kevlar socks.
http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/kevlar-socks
and kevlar boots http://joesignsequipment.com/newsit...id=319&zenid=504e2ea9611e9a0226df15aeeaaf530c
I like those socks!

Something I've always wondered about steel-toed boots though...
If something heavy enough to require steel toes for protection falls on your foot, wouldn't the steel be likely to bend and actually have the potential to sever your toes?

The fibers just bind up the chain. You just have to disassemble the saw, remove them and it will be OK. Whatever happens to the saw is better than what would happen to you. The chaps are maybe $70 and well worth the investment. The Stihl brand are even machine washable.

We don't want to scare you away from anything, but the safety equipment is necessary, affordably priced, and it works. It saved my best friend from getting cut. Please keep us posted on how it goes and share your adventures.
By disassemble, he means remove the clutch cover on the RH side of the saw, remove the fiber material as it will collect at the drive sprocket, as well as in the chain teeth, replace cover, tension chain, and get back to cuttin'.

I like those socks!

Something I've always wondered about steel-toed boots though...
If something heavy enough to require steel toes for protection falls on your foot, wouldn't the steel be likely to bend and actually have the potential to sever your toes?
Steel toes are pretty rigid. They have to be by OSHA/ANSI standards. Trust me, they're a toe saver. Even lighter weight, composite toe boots are worth their weight in gold. Picture a Kevlar dome or helmet sitting over your toes...if it wasn't for Kevlar, I wouldn't be chiming in here today...and it damn sure wasn't because I was in a chainsaw fight. Juss sayin'.

The fibers just bind up the chain. You just have to disassemble the saw, remove them and it will be OK. Whatever happens to the saw is better than what would happen to you. The chaps are maybe $70 and well worth the investment. The Stihl brand are even machine washable.

We don't want to scare you away from anything, but the safety equipment is necessary, affordably priced, and it works. It saved my best friend from getting cut. Please keep us posted on how it goes and share your adventures.

no we don't! especially one with an avatar and subliminal message as that one sends out...

of course,... not to get too out of line here, but wondering if any man could tame that ... err, umm... ahh... kitty? ;)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+lion's+roar&&view=detail&mid=41F196C23A32CC96B8B541F196C23A32CC96B8B5&rvsmid=E1F535FE4686238223F6E1F535FE4686238223F6&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV

Steel toes are pretty rigid. They have to be by OSHA/ANSI standards. Trust me, they're a toe saver. Even lighter weight, composite toe boots are worth their weight in gold. Picture a Kevlar dome or helmet sitting over your toes...if it wasn't for Kevlar, I wouldn't be chiming in here today. Juss sayin'.

well, for sure you got it USMC! but let's take it a step further...flight boots! steel toed... ejection seat evacs... fast and violent... very fast, very violent... instant high G's and positive... steel toed flight boots... :yes:

only way to fly... pun intended!

don't want to leave toes on the 'office carpet!'... ;)

well, for sure you got it USMC! but let's take it a step further...flight boots! steel toed... ejection seat evacs... fast and violent... very fast, very violent... instant high G's and positive... steel toed flight boots... :yes:

only way to fly... pun intended!

don't want to leave toes on the 'office carpet!'... ;)
Had a couple of Marine pilots in my All Weather/Attack, A-6/E Intruder squadron had to punch out during a CAX live ammo/bombs (Combined Arms Exercise) in Fallon, NV many yrs ago...they both lost over an inch in overall height. That's how violent punching out is...it compressed their spines that much. Best way to sum up ejection seats...your ass is sitting on a box of dynamite. Best thing is to right the aircraft as best you can as far as attitude, before you punch. Remember Top Gun, the 'Goose' deal, in a flat spin?...you're going through that canopy whether you like it or not. This A-6 had a compressor failure and stall, and luckily they were able to get out of a flat spin with enough rudder/elevator/aileron, nosing it over eventually with right attitude, inputs to get it sideways before they punched the ticket. They were less than 8,000 feet off the deck when it happened. And a jet falls like a rock without its engine. Pilots were damn lucky that day.

Had a couple of Marine pilots in my All Weather/Attack, A-6/E Intruder squadron had to punch out during a CAX live ammo/bombs (Combined Arms Exercise) in Fallon, NV many yrs ago...they both lost over an inch in overall height. That's how violent punching out is...it compressed their spines that much. Best way to sum up ejection seats...your ass is sitting on a box of dynamite. Best thing is to right the aircraft as best you can as far as attitude, before you punch. Remember Top Gun, the 'Goose' deal, in a flat spin?...you're going through that canopy whether you like it or not. This A-6 had a compressor failure and stall, and luckily they were able to get out of a flat spin with enough rudder/elevator/aileron, nosing it over eventually with right attitude, inputs to get it sideways before they punched the ticket. They were less than 8,000 feet when it happened. And a jet falls like a rock without its engine. Pilots were damn lucky that day.

no pilot who ejects... and survives... ever forgets the ejection!!

Steel toes are pretty rigid. They have to be by OSHA/ANSI standards. Trust me, they're a toe saver. Even lighter weight, composite toe boots are worth their weight in gold. Picture a Kevlar dome or helmet sitting over your toes...if it wasn't for Kevlar, I wouldn't be chiming in here today. Juss sayin'.

Yup - I haven't hit my boots with my saw yet, but have had more than a few logs drop on my toes. Steel toed boots for sure.

no we don't! especially one with an avatar and subliminal message as that one sends out...

of course,... not to get too out of line here, but wondering if any man could tame that ... err, umm... ahh... kitty? ;)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+lion's+roar&&view=detail&mid=41F196C23A32CC96B8B541F196C23A32CC96B8B5&rvsmid=E1F535FE4686238223F6E1F535FE4686238223F6&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV
LoL
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...223F6E1F535FE4686238223F6&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP
You're borderline... :D

I don't know. I would normally say No, but I've had the unfamiliar feeling the past couple of days, of being safe, or protected by all this he-man testosterone... I could get used to it. :rolleyes:

no pilot who ejects... and survives... ever forgets the ejection!!
One of the Marine pilots that day, eventually became the Commandant Of The Marine Corps...General Richard Hearney. He was a helluva man, by any man's standards. I had the privilege of serving under him as the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, Commanding General at MCAS Cherry Point, NC. I'm 6'2", and this guy just dwarfed us...probably 6'6", 250 lbs of chiseled bulk...when we young Jarheads were around him...he just commanded absolute respect. He was a big, physically fit man. Had a face that looked like it was chiselled outta stone...make Robert Redford and Clint Eastwood look bad, lol. He was a bad ass Marine!!

LoL
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+lion's+roar&&view=detail&mid=42C8949FEA5576598BA242C8949FEA5576598BA2&rvsmid=E1F535FE4686238223F6E1F535FE4686238223F6&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP

I don't know. I would normally say No, but I've had the unfamiliar feeling the past couple of days, of being safe, or protected by all this he-man testosterone... I could get used to it. :rolleyes:

Don't be surprised if your voice starts to drop after you start running a chainsaw regularly - :rock:
:D amazingly, there is some truth to this. Power in ones hands translates into a definite physical and psychological reaction. Once you get the hit,the evidence is here before you on these forums - many become chain-saw crack addicts.
:muscle:

LoL
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+lion's+roar&&view=detail&mid=42C8949FEA5576598BA242C8949FEA5576598BA2&rvsmid=E1F535FE4686238223F6E1F535FE4686238223F6&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP

oic; thanks for the update... at least I know I am in line... :dancing:

ps: I like the link... ;)

[blush]

Back