Advice on Purchasing a New Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what happens when you try to save few bucks of chainsaw premixed gas and use axe with appropriate PPE (Class I protective boots for chainsaw use), but miss one strike when felling 4 inch Mountain Ash...

9 hours hospital visit with operations and all, about 150 miles in cab, I think next time I won't try to save few bucks, I use a chainsaw.

I did not hit hard, it was relaxed and not very strong hit at all, no more than 50% of strength, also I did not follow trough, I let axe weight do the job, but still axe cut trough boots like there would of not been any kind of protective layer, but there is some kind of fiber on that spot, if there would of not been, my injuries would of been much more severe.

Cut right into bone, but no fracture of bone, it was a swipe, not direct collision, but so that you know, even with years of daily use of axe, something things go wrong and unlike chainsaw with PPE, axe makes it trough if it is sharp.

Get the chainsaw, that is my advice based on my experience, it will be cheaper :)

Attachments

• cut_protective_boots.jpg
    cut_protective_boots.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 15
  • open_wound_from_axe.jpg
    open_wound_from_axe.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 15
This is what happens when you try to save few bucks of chainsaw premixed gas and use axe with appropriate PPE (Class I protective boots for chainsaw use), but miss one strike when felling 4 inch Mountain Ash...

9 hours hospital visit with operations and all, about 150 miles in cab, I think next time I won't try to save few bucks, I use a chainsaw.

I did not hit hard, it was relaxed and not very strong hit at all, no more than 50% of strength, also I did not follow trough, I let axe weight do the job, but still axe cut trough boots like there would of not been any kind of protective layer, but there is some kind of fiber on that spot, if there would of not been, my injuries would of been much more severe.

Cut right into bone, but no fracture of bone, it was a swipe, not direct collision, but so that you know, even with years of daily use of axe, something things go wrong and unlike chainsaw with PPE, axe makes it trough if it is sharp.

Get the chainsaw, that is my advice based on my experience, it will be cheaper :)
Damn - and ruined a good pair of boots and socks, too!:D

Really. Why not? Especially if they are supposed to be "safety" boots.

I did remember wrong, it seems they have Class III protection and Class IV is the best there is, so those should handle quite a bit.
http://nokianjalkineet.fi/en/boots-pro/eurologger-en/?color=orange

Not sure if they will ever even reply, customer service is not here quite what it is in US, but I did send them message with the pics, what I understand from the boots is that where axe cut trough, there should of been Class III protection with combination of fiber and rubber. Of course it might be that chainsaw protection is not doing much against an axe.

Plate mail covering for the boots might be nice addition, I could feel myself as a knight then :D

I did remember wrong, it seems they have Class III protection and Class IV is the best there is, so those should handle quite a bit.

Not sure if they will ever even reply, customer service is not here quite what it is in US, but I did send them message with the pics, what I understand from the boots is that where axe cut trough, there should of been Class III protection with combination of fiber and rubber. Of course it might be that chainsaw protection is not doing much against an axe.

Plate mail covering for the boots might be nice addition, I could feel myself as a knight then :D

"Thor in Shining Armor" that, I'd like to see! :D

Axe wounds seem to be bit worse than usual wounds, had to visit hospital again as I got infection and wound required cleaning + need to eat antibiotics.

Never have had incident with a chainsaw, but how much worse it could be? :D

r

You are right, they are chainsaw safety boots not axe protective boots. Proper safety equipment could have prevented the injury. Unfortunately the only safety equipment that could have helped you is chainmail sox. That's what the pros wear in the Stihl Timber sport series competition, its just not that practical for every day use.

TN Girl, your best bet is to buy a pruning saw like previously mentioned as it doesn't sound like you have a project large enough to justify buying a saw (I could be wrong though). Another option you probably haven't consider yet is to buy reciprocating saw ("sawz-all"). Any respectful DIYer has a battery operated tool set. A 20V battery operated sawz-all with the right blades will take branches up to about 3". And for the cost of the saw you are looking at, combined with all the safety gear and consumables (fuel/oil/chain/files/gas cans) you could buy a lithium ion deluxe Dewalt tool set with an impact driver, drill, circular saw, flashlight and reciprocating saw with batteries. Or you can be a cheap @zz like me and buy PorterCable for half the price of DEWALT. If you have some large jobs you could just opt to buy the cord version of the sawz-all. That will take some big blades that would probably cut 6" limbs.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...438078_slid_&gclid=COmXobukt80CFZA2gQoddM0FSg

Cordless 20V DEWALT, batteries not included. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...164237_slid_&gclid=CO643tukt80CFUk6gQodUoAC7w

Don't forget some blades.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...cating-Saw-Blades-5-Pack-48-00-5026/100019437

r
You are right, they are chainsaw safety boots not axe protective boots. Proper safety equipment could have prevented the injury. Unfortunately the only safety equipment that could have helped you is chainmail sox. That's what the pros wear in the Stihl Timber sport series competition, its just not that practical for every day use.

TN Girl, your best bet is to buy a pruning saw like previously mentioned as it doesn't sound like you have a project large enough to justify buying a saw (I could be wrong though). Another option you probably haven't consider yet is to buy reciprocating saw ("sawz-all"). Any respectful DIYer has a battery operated tool set. A 20V battery operated sawz-all with the right blades will take branches up to about 3". And for the cost of the saw you are looking at, combined with all the safety gear and consumables (fuel/oil/chain/files/gas cans) you could buy a lithium ion deluxe Dewalt tool set with an impact driver, drill, circular saw, flashlight and reciprocating saw with batteries. Or you can be a cheap @zz like me and buy PorterCable for half the price of DEWALT. If you have some large jobs you could just opt to buy the cord version of the sawz-all. That will take some big blades that would probably cut 6" limbs.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...438078_slid_&gclid=COmXobukt80CFZA2gQoddM0FSg

Cordless 20V DEWALT, batteries not included. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...164237_slid_&gclid=CO643tukt80CFUk6gQodUoAC7w

Don't forget some blades.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...cating-Saw-Blades-5-Pack-48-00-5026/100019437
Nope, you are correct and that's probably why I haven't bought a chain saw yet - I can't justify the expense, or the risk.
I like the idea of the sawz-all!!! I've never used one, but I've see someone else use one - pretty tough little saw! he used it to cut through two x fours wall studs.
I would need to get the one with the battery pack since most of what I'd be cutting is along the fence row, and pretty far from a power source/outlet.

Thanks for the great idea!!

Nope, you are correct and that's probably why I haven't bought a chain saw yet - I can't justify the expense, or the risk.
I like the idea of the sawz-all!!! I've never used one, but I've see someone else use one - pretty tough little saw! he used it to cut through two x fours wall studs.
I would need to get the one with the battery pack since most of what I'd be cutting is along the fence row, and pretty far from a power source/outlet.

Get the Silky. They are legendary.

And, I agree, axes are more dangerous than chainsaws IMO.

Get the most volts as you can afford. The Lithium Ion batteries are awesome and lightweight.

Back