advice on wood chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiseman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey all, i'm about to buy a wood chipper for my weekend side jobs. (i'm a aborist full time for a private company) i only have a F150 for a truck and i'm thinking of a 6 inch chipper since most of my jobs are prunes anyways. anyone have any thoughts, so far i've only used the vermeer 625 model.

625 is junk, even an old chuck and duck 8" or 12" would be better as long as your safe and keep up on maintenance

Side trimming sucks. And if you have a 6" machine you will do alot of it. Also you will have a very rough time removing pines and spruces with a 6" machine. With a 12" you can do soft woods and rip them to a reasonable size. I think a 6" is very limiting..... Mike

hey all, i'm about to buy a wood chipper for my weekend side jobs. (i'm a aborist full time for a private company) i only have a F150 for a truck and i'm thinking of a 6 inch chipper since most of my jobs are prunes anyways. anyone have any thoughts, so far i've only used the vermeer 625 model.

whats your budget?

My 10 plus year old 6 Inch Bandit does most of what I want, bigger would be nice but then you need to up your tow rig and so on etc goes the costs. Used the Vermer and a few Aussie makes they all can leave you wanting but then back to the above argument.
The Bandit 6 has a wider throat than most I seen and thus a tad less side limbing. Its low feed tray height and auto feed is very good for operator use.
Early model 6 inch Bandits have smaller knifes that get you only 3 plus sharpens the newer ones have a bigger pocket so better here. Mud fling from your rear F150 tyres could be a drag and foul the machine good flaps will help. I mounted a spare tyre it protects the engine a bit.
Feed jams will happen the Bandit has a good jocky wheel that doubles as a lift jack to help you here.
Most repairs are fixable (even by me) as well made and easy to get bolt off and on parts.

625 is junk, even an old chuck and duck 8" or 12" would be better as long as your safe and keep up on maintenance

LMAO. Just remember, one man's weed may be another man's flower.

When I first demoed the 625 I was appalled at its lack of abilities. But this was just in relation to the speed in which it chipped. Not its ruggedness, nor the quality of chips. So I investigated further and I found disconnecting the engine load cut off device allowed the chipper to actually utilize the power available. I can still adjust the feed rate at will.

This then becomes a small but efficient chipper. For a truly small company, like one guy doing weekend work, it makes economic sense. Can be pulled with a pickup truck without additional wear and tear. It is very safe to operate.

And just because it has a tiny opening, does not mean it does not have the power to pull. Here again, note, the engine disconnect alteration from above. Ours has been serving us well for many years with no down time ever and I am not just a weekend worker.

Dave

attachment.php

The vermeer 6 inch isnt a tree eating machine

Its important to recognise that the vermeer is a good entry level, small business chipper. For its tow weight and price it performs reliably. It can be towed by a quad, sips gas, can park it anywhere and is unlikely to give you much trouble.

It will get the job done, turning big stacks of brush into bins of mulch. It wont do it quickly but then it will probably pay itself off faster and will work for the side job work until hes got more $ to invest in bigger gear.

I ran a gravely pro chip which was a simular size machine for about 4 years in our full time tree service (small chippers work best in our tight city) and it got the job done and it paid itself off time after time after time after time. I just replaced it with a new 35k 6 by 12 inch Hansa chipper.

I have an older chuck and duck and will be going with a larger hydraulic feed unit either Morbark or Bandit with a good diesel engine in it! The chuck and duck has been a good piece of equipment but for funky branches takes a little more cutting of the limbs and effort to get them chipped up.

I got my 2004 625 with a 173 hrs. and its clean as a whistle for 3500.00 bucks. its my first personal chipper and i love it and the price i felt was a good deal. it will make me enough money to buy a nicer sized bandit one day. can you explain to me what you took off to make it chip a little faster? i have been reading this site every night behind the curtains for about 5 mos. i have learned so much without asking or bothering anybody i feel its a good time to make my first post finally

Thanks for the advice.
I'd love to have a 12' chipper but I simply can't afford to up grade my truck to tow one. I'm aware that the 6' chippers are painfully slow, but not as slow as stacking branches in my tuck box. I think i have made up my mind on a 6' chipper being the way to go. But is it the vermeer or the bandit. I saw that the new vermeer chippers have a wider wheel base. I'm buying used. My budget is max $5000 CAD.

D Mc.
Thats the show i want to put on. Nice looking truck and chipper. How do you get the chips out of your tuck? Shovel? That was my idea, just a little more work at the end of the day, i can do that.

Thanks for the advice.
I'd love to have a 12' chipper but I simply can't afford to up grade my truck to tow one. I'm aware that the 6' chippers are painfully slow, but not as slow as stacking branches in my tuck box. I think i have made up my mind on a 6' chipper being the way to go. But is it the vermeer or the bandit. I saw that the new vermeer chippers have a wider wheel base. I'm buying used. My budget is max $5000 CAD.

IMO, if you have 5K to spend I'd pick up an old chuck n' duck on the cheap ( they chip just as well as those little vermeer's, faster even, just more dangerous and you can find them under $3K easy ) and stick the rest of your money in a kitty towards a bigger truck, or chipper, or dingo, or bucket, or saws, or ropes, or rigging/climbing gear, or advertising, or insurance, or stump grinder ( very important and easy money ) or anything else you can think of. This is, of course, assuming you plan on expanding into a full time operation eventually. If you just want to be a weekend warrior and never really expand, you'd probably be better off with the vermeer. Seems a solid, safe machine, though I've never used one.

Defending the 625. One ton and 625 is good set up for small biz. Couple of guys. We have a firewood market here so anything bigger than 5 inches could be good firewood. Not the right machine for big take downs at all.

Use it for what it is for man. 4 inch max limbs. Love Vermeer, but big take downs, go Bandit.

Thank you

Blakesmaster made some good points to consider. Here are some of my own:
If you are going to be working by yourself most of the time with pruning jobs then the 6" Vermeer w/hydraulic feed would be a good way to go from the standpoint of both safety and efficiency. If you are going to be tackling larger jobs and have help feeding the chipper then a chuck and duck will be a good starter chipper and you can get one in good shape for under 5k easy. I have one that has the Ford inline 6 300cu engine and a 12" drum. It eats but like the others are saying you need to be careful and keep your hands clear! Once it gets hold of a branch its gone! Keep your saw handy when you are chipping so when you get a branch that will not fit in the chute you can cut it up.
Here is my chipper
View attachment 104705
If you are wanting to go cheap but efficient for unloading the chips then get a Loadhandler, they are around $150USD for the larger truck version but it pays for itself the first few times you use it. I have an F-350 w/ plywood chipbox and a sheet of hyzod plastic under the Loadhandler. I fill it up with chips and when I get to the dump just clear out the stuff from behind the wheel wells and crank out the rest!

Blakesmaster made some good points to consider. Here are some of my own:
If you are going to be working by yourself most of the time with pruning jobs then the 6" Vermeer w/hydraulic feed would be a good way to go from the standpoint of both safety and efficiency. If you are going to be tackling larger jobs and have help feeding the chipper then a chuck and duck will be a good starter chipper

I disagree a bit here, Slvr. I think if you have another guy running ground the vermeer would be the better option. You could keep the chipper running throughout the removal process and chip as it comes down. With a whisper/chuck 'n duck it normally, IMO, is best to wait till the brush is piled up and fire it through quick-like. Best if you're working with a limited crew. If you load up a pile of brush behind that vermeer you'll be scratchin' your nuts quite a bit.

I disagree a bit here, Slvr. I think if you have another guy running ground the vermeer would be the better option. You could keep the chipper running throughout the removal process and chip as it comes down. With a whisper/chuck 'n duck it normally, IMO, is best to wait till the brush is piled up and fire it through quick-like. Best if you're working with a limited crew. If you load up a pile of brush behind that vermeer you'll be scratchin' your nuts quite a bit.

Thata a very good point, with a 6 inch disc chipper at least you can hire help and not spend the rest of the day worrying if they are going to get sucked in. Those chuck and ducks are wonderful chippers, but they take no prisoners and give no warning shots.

Good information, thanks to everyone involved. I have never used a "chuck n' duck" before. I guess it's something to looking to.
about the Loadhauler, do they really stand up? they seem like something that would bust under a heavy load of chips?

forget the vermeer

forget the vermeer, i bought one brand spankers and hated the lil basturd thing, i found a 65aw bandit second hand, so bought that and flicked the vermeer.

the bandit wipes it arse with the vermeer, its twice the machine of the vermeer, i dont have auto feed on my bandit but its not to bigger deal, the auto feed on the vermeer was only a pain in the ass. in my opinion the 65 is a baby 250, it goes as hard on the comparable size material as a 250. I love it to bits.

still hurts to loose 10 grand on a damn near brand new chipper though.

Latest posts

Back