Advice: What to build MS361, MS440, MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keaton85

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am putting an order in for a couple of Huztl kits and wondering what one to pick. I have a 026 Pro and my dad has an MS362 along with a MS170. The MS362 is brand new and will remain stock, so I am considering an MS361 to mod and use myself, or is it worth going for an MS440 or MS660 over the MS361?

The 026 is just fine for my every day firewood needs, but I might mill and cut some larger trees every once in a while, so having the power to pull a larger bar would be nice.

MS440, my favorite Stihl.

Some parts need to be replaced with oem:
Gas and oil caps
Switch and switch shaft
Fuel line
Impulse line
Seals
Compression Release
Maybe bearings
Piston rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! That really helps, as the 440 seems to be the best midrange saw. Since there is already a 362 in the family.

I was going to do Stihl wrist pin bearing, hoses, lip seals and caber rings to start the core of the build. I’ve heard the carbs are not that great on the 660, is that the same for the 440?

MS440, my favorite Stihl.

Some parts need to be replaced with oem:
Gas and oil caps
Switch and switch shaft
Fuel line
Impulse line
Seals
Compression Release
Maybe bearings
Piston rings

Replace all those parts on a Hutzl build with OEM and you might as well buy a used genuine 440. :surprised3:

I agree with that assessment though it which why I often question Hutzl builds.

You should think more about the 660. The Hutzl kit is crazy cheap compared what a genuine 660/661 goes for. You've got the small and mid size saws covered. I rarely need 92cc but when you need a big saw a 7 plus horse 660 clone is nice to have. It's their most popular saw for a reason. Mine is 99% Hutzl and has been a great saw. 660's are the bomb!!

Stay away from that crap if you want a dependable saw. Find a used Stihl and rebuild it.

This is good advice as well!! Most of my saws I've rebuilt from non running saws. You can find some good deals out there and once repaired will be worth more than any clone. A genuine Husky or Stihl will always be higher quality and perform better than any China saw. The smaller Hutzl saw kits just don't make fiscal sense when you can find a genuine builder/parts saw to rebuild. It's hard to find cheap 660 parts saws so that's what appealed to me in buying the 660 Hutzl.

This is good advice as well!! Most of my saws I've rebuilt from non running saws. You can find some good deals out there and once repaired will be worth more than any clone. A genuine Husky or Stihl will always be higher quality and perform better than any China saw. The smaller Hutzl saw kits just don't make fiscal sense when you can find a genuine builder/parts saw to rebuild. It's hard to find cheap 660 parts saws so that's what appealed to me in buying the 660 Hutzl.

True, this saw was $10 and cost an additional $75-85 to build with oem parts minus the covers.
9a83c616a5be48718c01844e8cb4278a.jpg

I picked up this, and the tank and crankshaft from a dealers junk pile. For another $15. Got lucky and scored a slant fin cylinder for $35 shipped. New oem bearings and seals $48, new oem piston kit $44, used oem covers $20 from a member here. Much cheaper than the Huztl kit. Even buying these parts on eBay, it’s still cheaper if good deals are found. Using some aftermarket covers is okay. Or even a aftermarket case with oem bearings and seals. The shipping really raises the prices on the kits.
b0f0b049597f90c2cca17e3f97ec1170.jpg

If you want a fun project go for the Huztl kit but it is what is, some parts will be junk, the saw will have issues from time to time. Ive have some issues with Huztl parts before. An 028 flywheel side bearing with that was too small for the seal, was the last straw for me. I had to tear down the saw and start all over again with oem bearings and seals. I now limit the Huztl parts to plastic covers. Even the gas tanks need work, the switches never work.

Whatever you chose try to get it from HL supply. Save money and then you don’t have to deal with Huztl.

Whatever you buy if you buy they are having a black Friday deal this week.
Check it out when it's on huztl.net.
372 is what i would build the guys i know didn't have issue's with them.

I would definitely go the parts saw route, but its the hunting that is a pain and nothing all that cheap comes up. This is a just for a fun kind of project and will only get used every once in a while for large tree felling or bucking 24+ lumber. Again just a hobby as needed type of thing.

I get that these are cheap clones, but having a new core to build off of is nice. Coming up on the black friday "sale" is what has prompted me to try a kit out for fun. If it costs me close to or more then a used carcass rebuild, so be it, the cost would only be close not all that much higher.

MS440, or MS660, really cant choose....

Back