Advise on clearing land

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hate Russian olive. Its nasty stuff, it spreads fast, its hard to control once established
We burn Long Leaf about every 4 to 6 years and where they are planted it gets really hot which kills them back. Deer browse them which helps control them, and they don't do well in the shade. Also you can cut them down and treat the stump or stem with roundup soon after cutting. You have to be proactive in working with them.

Hi, recently got hunting land clear cut 6 years ago, filled with blackberry bushes, thorns. The land is hilly terrain. Can you Pease advise me on clearing land without chemicals?
Skipped most of this,

However, get or hire an excavator, dig stumps pile them and burn them, replant with desired stuff ASAP. 200 class excavators can be had for around 50k, bigger is not necessarily better, smaller will do to a point anything under a 12ton machine is just wasting fuel and time, bigger can tear a whole lot of stuff up in a hurry, but burns considerably more fuel, and makes a helluva mess in the wrong hands.

I'm sure folks mentioned using a dozer, don't if you plan on burning the slash, dozers are good at one thing only, pushing material, they can dig stumps, but its hard on them, and they are rather slow at it, and its very hard to get dirt out of the stumps and slash, dirt don't burn. oh, and they burn a **** load of fuel. Even with a root rake, you'll still get a bunch of dirt in the pile, and you'll need an excavator to burn anyways.

some other folks probably recommended a mulcher or some other form of chipping, this will essentially reseed with whatever is there already, or invite invasive stuff to flourish

You can't afford to mechanically clear 600+ acres, the cost would be prohibitive and the damage to the land would be great. Any time you mechanically clear land you invite soil erosion by wind, water, or other natural agents, along with top soil you loose, we quit that practice long ago. By burning it helps put potash and other nutrients back in the ground. Removing debris and not reincorporating robs the land of the natural process of soil revivification.

I think you are talking about a revivification of all your land not just food plots?

Back