Advise on felling a leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 642526 View attachment 642527 View attachment 642528 View attachment 642529 View attachment 642530 View attachment 642531 If this tree was in the woods, it would already be down, split and stacked in the wood shed
That tree does look like it's been thru a lot.
Is the 2nd picture looking toward the direction of fall, and the forth standing where you want it to fall.
The good is it doesn't look to be leaning to bad, but as you said certainly something I'd want a competent guy helping with.

View attachment 642526 View attachment 642527 View attachment 642528 View attachment 642529 View attachment 642530 View attachment 642531 If this tree was in the woods, it would already be down, split and stacked in the wood shed
That tree does look like it's been thru a lot.
Is the 2nd picture looking toward the direction of fall, and the forth standing where you want it to fall.
The good is it doesn't look to be leaning to bad, but as you said certainly something I'd want a competent guy helping with.

In the second picture, if you look toward the house on the next hill, that is the direction it has to fall. In the fourth pic, you can see the corner of my house, that is the direction it wants to fall. You can also see my shop on one side and my shed on the other. The tree would just brush the house and shed real good, my shop it would wipe out. Now if I had the limbs out of the top, I could probably fall the tree the direction it wants to fall, no pulling needed, and only tear up my grass. Wife likes the grass, so I guess that wont happen. I plan on cutting the tree waist high and putting a table top on the stump.

In the second picture, if you look toward the house on the next hill, that is the direction it has to fall. In the fourth pic, you can see the corner of my house, that is the direction it wants to fall. You can also see my shop on one side and my shed on the other. The tree would just brush the house and shed real good, my shop it would wipe out. Now if I had the limbs out of the top, I could probably fall the tree the direction it wants to fall, no pulling needed, and only tear up my grass. Wife likes the grass, so I guess that wont happen. I plan on cutting the tree waist high and putting a table top on the stump.
How big is it, about 36.
Yes don't mess up a blade of grass, just let someone else take it down so you don't get in trouble with your wife, make sure you show here the bid before approval and see how precious the gras is though lol.

How big is it, about 36.
Yes don't mess up a blade of grass, just let someone else take it down so you don't get in trouble with your wife, make sure you show here the bid before approval and see how precious the gras is though lol.
If it was my tree, my wife, and my situation, I would have my wife, standing under my tree, holding an acorn in one hand and a yellow ribbon in the other so she can, and I quote, "tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree", as it comes a CRASHING DOWN UPON HER!.kidding of course.. I love my wife, and yes she is standing over my shoulder.

If it was my tree, my wife, and my situation, I would have my wife, standing under my tree, holding an acorn in one hand and a yellow ribbon in the other so she can, and I quote, "tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree", as it comes a CRASHING DOWN UPON HER!.kidding of course.. I love my wife, and yes she is standing over my shoulder.
I think you where just talking big and then realized your wife was standing over your shoulder. We all know who the real boss is!:cheers:

I think you where just talking big and then realized your wife was standing over your shoulder. We all know who the real boss is!:cheers:
Now that's funny. SinSin's a good sport. Cain't hear a lick, but man-0-man can she read. I know she's done talking to me when I get the bird and she turns around.. Nothing says I'm the boss better than that.

asking me??
I have about 150ft of 3/8 steel rope I will hook to the front hitch of a 4x4 f150. Truck wont break the cable if thats what you are thinking about.
Nah I routinely pull trees at 25' rope cable height but you need sufficient steady pull to do so. I normally am pulling with a winch so at 25' height "though I don't have as much leverage" I also do not need to take slack up as fast to keep the tree moving. In your case might not be the best. If you have or buy some trotline staging twine and trotline weight you could make you a throw weight to set your cable! or use a sling shot . You would need to avoid a sharp crotch pulling the cable up and over the limb and keeping it from coming out of the hook could be a challenge cinching it tight but not completely impossible!

I use a sliding hook on my cable so it chokes up without any problems. It slides over the cable and hooks into a eye I weave in the cable end. Trotline, lead sinkers and Whamo Wrist Rocket will get the cable up there. Just waiting on a little help. With cable hooked in tree and to the truck, you just take out the slack and hold tension. Driver keeps tension to get the tree going the direction you want it, but doesnt jerk or try to pull the tree down. That is where you need someone with a little common sense. I have a 8000lb hyd winch I have been thinking of rigging to the truck hitch and tractors 3 pt hitch. Just havnt gotten around to it. Would be easy to mount on tractor, but would need some sort of hyd power supply for truck mount. To slow really for everyday use and it is power in/power out, no free spooling the cable off the drum.

I use a sliding hook on my cable so it chokes up without any problems. It slides over the cable and hooks into a eye I weave in the cable end. Trotline, lead sinkers and Whamo Wrist Rocket will get the cable up there. Just waiting on a little help. With cable hooked in tree and to the truck, you just take out the slack and hold tension. Driver keeps tension to get the tree going the direction you want it, but doesnt jerk or try to pull the tree down. That is where you need someone with a little common sense. I have a 8000lb hyd winch I have been thinking of rigging to the truck hitch and tractors 3 pt hitch. Just havnt gotten around to it. Would be easy to mount on tractor, but would need some sort of hyd power supply for truck mount. To slow really for everyday use and it is power in/power out, no free spooling the cable off the drum.
Pretty much might think about binding the spar above the cut to stop a chair! I don't take responsibility though if you do this you know the risks.

Latest posts

Back