Advise on rigging set ups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Carb

I saw one of your posts that stated you have been in the biz for 10 yrs. In another thread you argued that screw type biner's were safer to use in your climbing set up than triple locking biner's, now you state that you think blocks and pullys are the same. This is the 101 forum, people are here to learn and get GOOD advice. Stop posting this crap that turns the whole thread in a direction that does nothing for the op.

To the OP: The first block i ever purchased was a CMI. Good strength, good price, and easy to use. I buy my rigging equip from Wesspur.

yes a block is normally ancored with a sling but the sling is made out of rope:msp_confused:

here compare the two see the difference
Blocks : Pulleys / Blocks : Rigging : Professional Gear : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

All those are listed as pulleys, except for the "Double Pulley Block" pulley.

Other than rigging points(such as a trolley pulley), the only differences I can see is their strength.

So I'm happy with the healthier, stronger, smarter system of determining when a pulley becomes a block.

That's what's important; Right? Making sure you only drag enough gear into the tree to carry the load beyond and chance of failure and nothing more.

All those are listed as pulleys, except for the "Double Pulley Block" pulley.

Other than rigging points(such as a trolley pulley), the only differences I can see is their strength.

So I'm happy with the healthier, stronger, smarter system of determining when a pulley becomes a block.

That's what's important; Right? Making sure you only drag enough gear into the tree to carry the load beyond and chance of failure and nothing more.

go to PAGE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!

I saw one of your posts that stated you have been in the biz for 10 yrs. In another thread you argued that screw type biner's were safer to use in your climbing set up than triple locking biner's, now you state that you think blocks and pullys are the same.

I never stated that I think blocks and pulleys are the same, I stated that I heard that blocks and pulleys are the same. Now I'm trying to work out the difference.

Flush out your head gear!

WesSpur Tree Rigging Kits

You can save money buying a kit. Of coarse thats if you dont have rigging line etc...

That link doesn't want to load for some reason. We're in the middle of a non-existent snow storm here that may be affecting my connection. Maybe that's why I only got 1 page from Sherrill.

Anyway,

Yeah, there's nothing like saving a buck or two, especially when your life is hanging in the balance.

Last edited:
how many people use a biner to attach the block to sling? cause what we use ours for would break that no doubt. We have about 8-10' of 1" or 1 1/4" with a spliced eye on one end that we use

I would and do use a sling with biner to hold 4" pulley for some rigging, but it holds up to that... I dont think I would use a set up like that on a block. The metal on metal would bother me, I would not want to mar or damage the attachment sleeve. For me arborist blocks get tied on with rope or sling only no metal.

how many people use a biner to attach the block to sling? cause what we use ours for would break that no doubt. We have about 8-10' of 1" or 1 1/4" with a spliced eye on one end that we use

I don't believe those are biners but hoist rings. The solid rings and sling are used in crane work.

[video=youtube;3wUIT2FdFhQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wUIT2FdFhQ[/video]

I wonder why he's using those aluminum beaners instead of just choking the sling through the eyes? love the dew though, reminds me of someone..

I would and do use a sling with biner to hold 4" pulley for some rigging, but it holds up to that... I dont think I would use a set up like that on a block. The metal on metal would bother me, I would not want to mar or damage the attachment sleeve. For me arborist blocks get tied on with rope or sling only no metal.

I agree. I'm sure it works fine but I would be thinking about damaging the sheave on my block.

Back