Advise on rigging set ups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a timber hitch roll out one time. That's why I prefer the cow hitch now. And I can tie a cow hitch faster than a timber. I have no problem using a timber hitch when negative blocking and the block is being loaded in a vertical fashion. If I have to run a snatch block on the ground where the block is going to be pulled out an outward angle rather than downward I always use a cow hitch. That is what happened when my timber hitch rolled out. Thank god it did not happen on anything critical.

I have had a timber hitch roll out one time. That's why I prefer the cow hitch now. And I can tie a cow hitch faster than a timber. I have no problem using a timber hitch when negative blocking and the block is being loaded in a vertical fashion. If I have to run a snatch block on the ground where the block is going to be pulled out an outward angle rather than downward I always use a cow hitch. That is what happened when my timber hitch rolled out. Thank god it did not happen on anything critical.

Do you terminate it with a half hitch?

I never use them!

lol, me either.

I actually meant a cow hitch, you know when you make a loop and wrap it around what you're attaching to, then you run both ends through the loop.

I just wanted to see if anyone would blow a gasket on that. :hmm3grin2orange:

lol, me either.

I actually meant a cow hitch, you know when you make a loop and wrap it around what you're attaching to, then you run both ends through the loop.

I just wanted to see if anyone would blow a gasket on that. :hmm3grin2orange:

I guess you did not click on the video link I gave you at Sherrills!

While we are on this anyone ever see a single action Carabiner roll open?

Yes, it happened on a zip line about 1/2 way down. It went bounce, bounce, drop. No idea how it got the gate open. ISC steel biner, checked ok afterwards. Go figure!
Rick

I like the Triple locks I had the single open a couple times.

I still have a few single action steel biners, but I only use them for pulley anchors. Anything likely to get bounced around gets a triple action. I got lucky on that zip line deal, no damage, just had to carry it the rest of the way to the chipper. I did learn a lesson from it and changed procedures.
Rick

I still have a few single action steel biners, but I only use them for pulley anchors. Anything likely to get bounced around gets a triple action. I got lucky on that zip line deal, no damage, just had to carry it the rest of the way to the chipper. I did learn a lesson from it and changed procedures.
Rick

Same here on the single action for pulleys.

Get with the times boy;):laugh::rock:

It's the other way around, the times need to get with me.

I want highspeed, I need highspeed, there's even a highspeed tower about 5 miles above me, problem is I'm so far under the mountain that I can't get the signal.

They started running fiber optic last summer, but they only made it to the top of the mountain before the weather turned bad, because of all the rock they have to go through.

Cell service is the same here. I'm looking into satellite, but it's over priced and erratic from what I hear.

While we are on this anyone ever see a single action Carabiner roll open?
I had a screw gate that I use to attach my saw come open on me when trimming a locust. Went to reach for my saw and it was stuck in a limb about 20 ft away, luckily it didn't make it to the ground

I had a screw gate that I use to attach my saw come open on me when trimming a locust. Went to reach for my saw and it was stuck in a limb about 20 ft away, luckily it didn't make it to the ground

Yup did that about 3 times now I use Petzl Ball Locks on the saw lanyard and been using them for 10 or more years have not failed yet.

Same here on the single action for pulleys.

Yep, the triples can be a pain when reaching as far as possible to set a pulley on a branch. I normally just use one of the green endless loop slings for pulleys so I'm often putting them at the reach limit.
Rick

Yup did that about 3 times now I use Petzl Ball Locks on the saw lanyard and been using them for 10 or more years have not failed yet.

I'm a lefty and those Ball locks don't feel right to me. Wished they made a LH version so I could try one.

I don't use a biner on the saw lanyard. The crap on my saddle trys to tangle itself too much already.
Rick

I used to girth hitch a dog leash to my old school tree saddles and clip it to the saw snap on the belt by the saw ring when I wanted to hang it close. Loved that setup and used it for years. The saddle I have now is a newer school Petzl and I'm using a bungee lanyard with rings. No way to girth hitch it to this saddle and I have to hang it on a paddle biner. Not nearly as simple as my old school setup and I don't like it nearly as well but it works.

Latest posts

Back