Advise on rigging set ups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't think getting the facts wrong on rope strength relates to rigging?

How did I get the facts wrong on rope strength? Did I tell someone that their rope wasn't as strong run through a friction saver as it would be if it were ran over a Cambium saver?

I'm still waiting for a post from you that shows you are here for more than wasting people's time.

I'm here to waste your time Del.

Last edited:
Here is the best advise I can give: When in doubt go smaller...

And

Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters. :biggrin:

Hey did they ever kick that guy Jodys ass?And why does everyone fire at Will?What did Will do?

Lone Wolf your a good dude man and I respect your opinion but dont stick up for this ass hat Carb dude, he has spit in the face of everyone that has tried to give him advice since he came in the door. He is the one that knows everything and has all the answers... the sad truth is he is usually way off base and just does not want to hear different.

Lone Wolf your a good dude man and I respect your opinion but dont stick up for this ass hat Carb dude, he has spit in the face of everyone that has tried to give him advice since he came in the door. He is the one that knows everything and has all the answers... the sad truth is he is usually way off base and just does not want to hear different.

I guess I came in late to the fight.Your word means something to me so I guess I will take your word for it.I kind of noticed it when I said if you need help ask me and he said he wants a second opinion!

I didn't read the whole thread, but..

I switched my main ropes from 5/8ths db to 9/16ths db this year after using them in CT with mds. Was really impressed with the amount of weight he was willing to huck onto those 9/16ths lines and how well they took it. I bought a 600' reel and cut it into 3 200 footers, also bought a 150' hank of 3/4 db for the big stuff.

Yep, that's what I run. I can't imagine needing 200' of 3/4" around here.. I guess it's possible though. I have tortured those 9/16 lines for some time now, they take an amazing amount of abuse.. I would worry about the tree breaking first! I do replace them yearly though. I also use the 150' 3/4 for anything that's really gonna be nasty (roping big wood mainly).

I haven't read the whole thread either...

I use 5/8ths rope and I abuse the crap out of them This is the rope I use for "heavy" stuff
Bull Rigger 5/8" Rope : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

I bought some 5/8 stable braid cuz I thought it was supposed to be the good stuff... broke it yanking over a spar...... I wasn't there so I don't know what really happened but WTF.... I'll stick to the bull rigger from now on, that rope has impressed me. I have a hank of 200' of it right now I have been using for just over a year. It has no major problems from an inspection standpoint but I know what I have done to that thing and I am replacing it soon anyways.... I still would use it to pull a truck out of the mud and I bet it wouldn't break, that is a damn good rope. Also I have rigged pretty heavy on this rope through natural crotches and it just keeps taking the abuse and wanting more.

I haven't read the whole thread either...

I use 5/8ths rope and I abuse the crap out of them This is the rope I use for "heavy" stuff
Bull Rigger 5/8" Rope : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

I bought some 5/8 stable braid cuz I thought it was supposed to be the good stuff... broke it yanking over a spar...... I wasn't there so I don't know what really happened but WTF.... I'll stick to the bull rigger from now on, that rope has impressed me. I have a hank of 200' of it right now I have been using for just over a year. It has no major problems from an inspection standpoint but I know what I have done to that thing and I am replacing it soon anyways.... I still would use it to pull a truck out of the mud and I bet it wouldn't break, that is a damn good rope. Also I have rigged pretty heavy on this rope through natural crotches and it just keeps taking the abuse and wanting more.

The 9/16 DB i use is stronger than your 5/8 ya got there (and I still run it through crotches all the time). I'm pretty sure it's rated at like 11300.

As far as breaking a 5/8 DB pulling over a spar.. I don't think even murph could do that with the loader and a super-duper step cut.. lol.

This Message Is Hidden Because Stihl-O-Matic Is On My Ignore List

Last edited:
The 9/16 DB i use is stronger than your 5/8 ya got there (and I still run it through crotches all the time). I'm pretty sure it's rated at like 11300.

As far as breaking a 5/8 DB pulling over a spar.. I don't think even murph could do that with the loader and a super-duper step cut.. lol.

HAHA, yeah no doubt it is stronger.... don't know how the hell they really broke it.... that was the story I got. My main point is that they don't seem as durable to natural crotching, some ####### driving over it with a skid (that'll piss me right off), or some of the other things that ropes are sometimes subjected to on the jobsite. The stable braid rope obviously had to be damaged in some way to snap like that but it broke close to the knot, so it must have not been obvious enough for someone to notice when tying it on the spar.

I was just saying that bull rope I have is a damn good rope and one of my favorites, it is as strong as I need for the size pieces I take (which is fairly large) and it stands up to a ton of abuse. I like that rope a lot and will continue to use it. I do use half inch DB as well for rigging and for speedlines. I almost exclusively use them with a false crotch or block of some sort though.

I've heard few giving actual advice on here, most of the time they're just saying you're wrong, you're off base, you're giving bad advice.

When in reality I'm asking for advice or clarity most of the time, but seldom get any real answers.

Because of people like you who just want to flame the #### out of every new account here, like it cool or some ####.

LoneWolf is one of the few who is actually willing to give actual advice, and you can't stand it.

Oh, now I get it, you can't teach anyone anything unless they're already a complet idiot, but you're trying reaaaalll haaarrrd to teach.

Keep up the good work your making quite a name for yourself here. I still have strong doubt you have ever climbed a tree with a rope and a saw in your life and you are not more then a poser.

Your track record has proven you know very little about this work.

"This message is hidden because Stihl-O-Matic is on your ignore list. "

He isn't on my ignore list, because he tends to be right about a lot of stuff. I'm not saying that I always agree with him, sometimes I don't, but I still think about what he says.

You on the other hand are so Clueless that I don't put you on my ignore list either, because I'm trying to keep other greenies from making the mistake of believing any advice you might post. So, Clueless Carb I guess you will never catch on to the facts of treework, but I think we have caught onto you.
Rick

"This message is hidden because Stihl-O-Matic is on your ignore list. "

He isn't on my ignore list, because he tends to be right about a lot of stuff. I'm not saying that I always agree with him, sometimes I don't, but I still think about what he says.

You on the other hand are so Clueless that I don't put you on my ignore list either, because I'm trying to keep other greenies from making the mistake of believing any advice you might post. So, Clueless Carb I guess you will never catch on to the facts of treework, but I think we have caught onto you.
Rick

Honestly, do you really think I'm buying into that?

I mean sure, he knows what he's doing, so he should be right about the business, but flaming has nothing to do with the business.

I've never learned anything from someone who was talking down to me, so why should I even listen to him when he's doing that?

That's his thing, not mine.

Last edited:
USMC_Paratrooper.jpg
Honestly, do you really think I'm buying into that?

I mean sure, he knows what he's doing, so he should be right about the business, but flaming has nothing to do with the business.

I've never learned anything from someone who was talking down to me, so why should I even listen to him when he's doing that?

That's his thing, not mine.

So you were in the 82 Airborne?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back