After rottin my Brain I want a log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrk585

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After readingabout all of the cool stuff on this site I have begun to want an 026 or ms 260 and a log splitter. I am very very skilled at welding. I have about 3 ,, 8 hp briggs layn around. I would like to build a vertical log splitter or maby one that is close to the ground, I really dont know. I have an old air compressor tank for the oil. I have been told I need a 16 gpm pump and a good size cyl I think Im going toward a 5x18. I would like any suggestions I can get By the way If any of yall like harley davidson Im sellin some old used parts on ebay pm if you interested. I am going to try to post a link but i never have good luck with them

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmrk585

nope I guess it didnt work

Old carb

If anyone has on old style carb for a 8 hp briggs they would be willing to part with let me know please I cant find one reasonable any where

How much are you looking to pay for a carb? We have an x-mas tree farm and have blown up our share of 8 horse briggs motors and I'm not sure what we have but i can look around.

let me get back with you on that my little brother is going to chect @ his high school for one small engines class please look to see if you have one though

If you do a search you will find lots of posts on the pro and con of making one vs buying. Unless you can find for free a lot of the components you will spend a surprising amount of money before all is said and done. Forget the labour,

I have seen some low ones but stooping all the time is not good. The ones that will tilt down to large blocks or go horizontal and waist height are nicer

I know how this goes...

mrk585 said:
After readingabout all of the cool stuff on this site I have begun to want an 026 or ms 260 and a log splitter. I am very very skilled at welding. I have about 3 ,, 8 hp briggs layn around. I would like to build a vertical log splitter or maby one that is close to the ground, I really dont know. I have an old air compressor tank for the oil. I have been told I need a 16 gpm pump and a good size cyl I think Im going toward a 5x18. I would like any suggestions I can get

16 gpm for a pump sounds about right, and I have a splitter that uses a 4" X 18" cylinder. I like the shorter stroke. Makes things faster as long as the blocks will fit.

However, my Critter Splitter (other thread) uses a 5" cylinder. There are drawbacks to the larger size. It is slower, and heavier. The best part is that you can get a lot of push for less system pressure. If I had to buy again, I would seriously consider a 4 1/2 bore cylinder. Decent pressure, reasonable speed.

I prefer horizontal splitters. There are times I could understand a vertical, but not often. To each his own.

One thing to think about, there is no such thing as overbuilding a splitter. Get the heaviest beam you can find. Weld on your wedge and cyl brkt like you never want to remove it. Seriously consider building a slider like the design I have on mine (bolts down each side) it is removable, and seems plenty strong.

Go for it, everyone needs a hobby. Building splitters is a great one!
-Pat

Determine what componenets you need. Then email this guy: [email protected] He can get you prices just a touch above wholesale. To put his prices into perspective, I paid $120 for a new 3.5"x30" 3000psi cylinder. He is extremely reasonable. His ebay name is I believe is Mbergh1234. He is cheap as it gets for new items. Hydraulic hoses can be cheap. If need help locating these let me know.

Just a hack here adding his 2 cents. I cut a lot of firewood and figured it out, I highgrade, when the branches start, I stop bucking. If I have to take the wood, if it is not easy to split by hand, I buck it in half or 4 with a big saw. Works for me, maybe instead of spending money and time building a splitter you could get a big saw.

Pto

I recently bought a pto gear reductin for an 8hp briggs I needed the crank well I thought I needed the crank but as it turns out I dont. But anyway I got to thunkin Mabey I could use this On a log splitter. Could I run a bigger pump with this And mabey one day upgrade the engine will this work or not

Not exactly...

mrk585 said:
I recently bought a pto gear reductin for an 8hp briggs I needed the crank well I thought I needed the crank but as it turns out I dont. But anyway I got to thunkin Mabey I could use this On a log splitter. Could I run a bigger pump with this And mabey one day upgrade the engine will this work or not

Power is power. It is going to take the same power to turn a large pump half speed as it takes to turn a pump 1/2 size twice as fast. If you just happened to have a really large pump for a tractor and needed to turn it at low speed (540?) then a gear head would let the engine run at correct speed.

My 2 cents worth,
-Pat

So this might work if I get a 22gmp or so and have less rpm but One day I could put a 16 hp in the 8 hp place I foung the ratio it 6.125 to 1

I guess I could gear it back up 1/2
So its just 3-1 give or take you see I bought this off ebay and I need the crank so I can chang out the crank that is in my engine I dont know what this enginewasfor but the crank has 1/2 inch threads on the outside of the crank On the pto side The side case has a roller bearing spot machined in it and my current crank has a roller bearing presses on. So I bought this pto box off ebay thing it would be a normal crank but again it was not it has twisted splines on it or a gear what ever you want to call it. I have 2 cranks and a gear reduction box that are not helping me

Treeco:
I thought about using one of the Prince direct PTO pumps but decided against it because it was a single stage pump and I thought that it would be a bit slow running a 5" bore cylinder. The problem was to get 3600 rpm input into the pump from the rear pto running at 540.

There was sufficient horsepower, since I have 22 pto hp and the Barnes pump only requires about 16hp.

I hope to solve this by increasing the pto rpm from 540 to about 3600 by means of an increasing gearbox and intermediate power transmission pulleys. the gearbox will take the rpm from 540 up to about 1025. I am going to put a 9.75" 2 groove pulley on the gearbox output and connect it to a jackshaft with a 2.75" pulley. That should be running at about 3600rpm and I will connect it, via a flexible coupling, to the arbor of the Barnes 2 state 28 gpm pump.

I will then have to design an appropriate shroud for the power transmission pulleys and belts between the gearbox output and the jackshaft.

Back