After ya cut it, ya gots to split it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am now going to build splitter #2.
Existing machine is a little slow, but capable of 22 tons.
6.5 briggs, 13.5 gpm (2 stage) pump, and 5" cylinder.
My 1 cu. ft. oil tank is a little small and the oil heats up after about a hour or two. but other than that it works well.

I found a double detent valve, and a 2 stage pump, and a few small cylinders. Defunct pressure washer will provide a 6hp engine of dubious quality (but it runs). I thought I was going to get by one the cheap.

Pump came with a sheered off key inside on the second stage. Also cracked the gear. Cylinders I have are too small as a 4" is my minimum.
Cylinder will be a 4" by 18"
Pump will be a 11gpm 2 stage
I will use the double detent valve with extreem caution.
I have some really heavy angle to use for the beam.
Maybe make a larger tank for this one (heating problem)

I think I will get something around 15 tons, and a faster cycle time. 18" is large enough for most of the wood I cut. If I need larger... I will use other splitter that goes to 24"

I think I am on the right track with this project. I will know in a few weeks (if my parts show up) !
:cool:

You can get a longer stroke than the ram goes. When I built mine, I put the wedge 4" past the extended push plate. Most wood splits well before getting to max extension. That which needs to be split all the way is done by backing off the ram and inserting a chunk of wood. Only happens rarely.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back