Aftermarket cylinder testers needed, Reduced price for your opinion and comments!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pictures of the Tecomec Kit I will be putting in the 365 Husky. Doesn't seem bad for the most part. Not a lot of slag or casting marks but it does have an unusuall finish to the piston. Kinda like a glass beading finish...would this help break in? Bore is finished well, ports look to be clean and well shaped. The most distinctive feature is the cylinder and its weight and or mass. It feels like it is something.

Here are some pictures of the Tecomec Kit I will be putting in the 365 Husky. Doesn't seem bad for the most part. Not a lot of slag or casting marks but it does have an unusuall finish to the piston. Kinda like a glass beading finish...would this help break in? Bore is finished well, ports look to be clean and well shaped. The most distinctive feature is the cylinder and its weight and or mass. It feels like it is something.

Repped!

I see a lot of different finishes on pistons. I don't have a clue what that's about......but then i ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer. :msp_sad:

Lots of replies..... two testers signed up!

Tbone75 is testing the MS440 kit. He ordered new bearings :msp_wink:... were getting the full meal deal here!

8433Jeff is testing the 290 kit! I'm really interested in this test as these are a popular saw.

Couple guys are revved up...but.... still a few kits left...Metals 406... hint hint!

Mike I have a Husky 55 kit that needs tested, made by HyWay. This in not part of this series of tests but what do I know. PM me.

Got anything for a Mac 380, Pioneer 650, or a Mall 2MG?

Ah, never mind...I saw an AM cylinder a few years back that I didn't like.

Ok, a few mor pic's and some more details.

Assembled P/C on saw and used the Husqvarna bearing and wrist pin. Had 145 lb compression on assembly lube (stihl ultra oil). I tryed to measure the squish but could not find thick enough solder to get a reading. All I can tell you, through the spark plug hole the top of the piston was closer to the top of the cylinder than the stock p/c. Compression on initial start up was noticably more than stock. Saw started, idled and ran very well upon start up. all previous symtoms were gone and the saw now accelerates well with out the low end bog it had. The saw now feels strong and sounds even better.

Hopefully I will get it into some wood tomorrow and for sure Thursday to see if it is in my mind or its confirmed......

The story/test continues.....stay tuned for updates!!! :msp_biggrin:

Tbone75 is testing the MS440 kit. He ordered new bearings :msp_wink:... were getting the full meal deal here!

8433Jeff is testing the 290 kit! I'm really interested in this test as these are a popular saw.

Couple guys are revved up...but.... still a few kits left...Metals 406... hint hint!

Mike I have a Husky 55 kit that needs tested, made by HyWay. This in not part of this series of tests but what do I know. PM me.

Is the 290 an actual 290 and is there a 390 available?

Repped!

I see a lot of different finishes on pistons. I don't have a clue what that's about......but then i ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer. :msp_sad:

Part of it has to do with the type of alloy the slug is made from. Jonsered came out with some high Silicon content pistons in the early 80's to withstand low grades of petrol in some parts of the world. Those pistons were lighter in color. Stihl made some in the earlier saws that had a higher Tin content for heat dissipation- those were darker in color. Husky made some with about an even Tin/Aluminum content and then polished them to a mirror finish for the 2100 saws.

Part of it has to do with the type of alloy the slug is made from. Jonsered came out with some high Silicon content pistons in the early 80's to withstand low grades of petrol in some parts of the world. Those pistons were lighter in color. Stihl made some in the earlier saws that had a higher Tin content for heat dissipation- those were darker in color. Husky made some with about an even Tin/Aluminum content and then polished them to a mirror finish for the 2100 saws.

Is there anything you don't know about these infernal two smokers? :bowdown:

So do you think the Tecomec P/C would stand up better to the fuel we are getting at the pumps? I ALWAYS run premium or 91-92 octain in my saws but would this metalergicall differance resolve the ethanol problems...at least at that leval. Carbs and related fuel line deterioration seem like they would be easier to solve than a p/c on a saw.

So do you think the Tecomec P/C would stand up better to the fuel we are getting at the pumps? I ALWAYS run premium or 91-92 octain in my saws but would this metalergicall differance resolve the ethanol problems...at least at that leval. Carbs and related fuel line deterioration seem like they would be easier to solve than a p/c on a saw.

Tecomec makes a lot of parts for third world markets that traditionally have lower grade fuel. So I would be confident that their parts would take some abuse.

Yes I am ! Thanks very much for the chance to play ! LOL
I am doing 2-044s , one with AM kit and AM bearings. The other will have a old 10mm top end. Should make a good side by side test ?
But afraid there won't be any videos,only have dial up out here in the sticks. Sorry guys ! I will do many pix of everything ! No grinding on there for now,later, YES ! LOL

I am also SLOW ! Ya know King Slug ! LOL But it will be right ! I not the anyone special like the real porters,just a guy who loves to play with saws ! Many many of you guys know way more than me,I will be very happy for any advice ! No worries,my skin is thick as it gets ! LOL You can try and make me mad,won't work ! LOL

Just want to say thanks for the chance ! :rock:

Last edited:
Part of it has to do with the type of alloy the slug is made from. Jonsered came out with some high Silicon content pistons in the early 80's to withstand low grades of petrol in some parts of the world. Those pistons were lighter in color.

The Chevrolet Vega used aluminum engine blocks without liners and they were cast of high silicon material. Results were a mixed bag.

Yes I am ! Thanks very much for the chance to play ! LOL
I am doing 2-044s , one with AM kit and AM bearings. The other will have a old 10mm top end. Should make a good side by side test ?
But afraid there won't be any videos,only have dial up out here in the sticks. Sorry guys ! I will do many pix of everything ! No grinding on the for now,later, YES ! LOL
Only thing I know of I need right now is a clutch side case half for a 044. Or another case ? LOL Anyone have something, I have some things to trade or what ever? No big deal I will find one. Or I can stihl use the case,its just broke where the spike bolts on.May even have it welded up ?
I am also SLOW ! Ya know King Slug ! LOL But it will be right ! I not the anyone special like the real porters,just a guy who loves to play with saws ! Many many of you guys know way more than me,I will be very happy for any advice ! No worries,my skin is thick as it gets ! LOL You can try and make me mad,won't work ! LOL

Just want to say thanks for the chance ! :rock:

Exactly the guy I want to test right here. Thanks John, it's going to be good no matter what!

The Chevrolet Vega used aluminum engine blocks without liners and they were cast of high silicon material. Results were a mixed bag.

The biggest issues I saw with those engines was that when rebuilt the wrong hone was used and ruined the block......most guys had no idea that a regular hone was a bad idea in an aluminum block at that time.

Does it matter on piston material for chrome or nicasil coating on sleeve ? Or ring material ?

Exactly the guy I want to test right here. Thanks John, it's going to be good no matter what!

I will do my very best ! I will have my Nephew run the saw a lot,he runs them harder than I do, told him run it all out,just try to keep it in one piece ! LOL I will keep a log of anything it does or don't do. We will also see how the AM bearings hold up ? It will also have AM gaskets and seals in it too.

Should I just put the build and run in here , or start another thread on it? Same to me either way. Just let me know you guys like best?

Any ides you guys care to share,please do !

Latest posts

Back