Aftermarket piston options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hantsman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey

Looking for some advice on an aftermarket piston and ring set for a husky 2100. Looks like there is a Golf, VEC, little red barn and Proline piston available. One better then the other? Or all the same just rebranded?

Golf is trash ( at least every one ive seen or heard of). Ive heard of others having luck w VEC and lil red barn. Problem w aftermarket is yes, most are the same **** in a different box. And you may get one thats perfect, and order another one and its garbage, very hit and miss.

I have been assembling a 2100cd for awhile.
I started off with a trash top end and broken bottom end( broken end on crank)
I bought used cranks twice before getting one good enough to run.
I bought a used cylinder piston set in good shape and went with caber rings.
Good parts while not easy to find are out there and worth searching for.
Keith

Thanks for the info. Think I might give VEC a try since I can get it from an online Canadian store. I'll let you know how I make out

Just wanted to transfer some knowledge here. Got the VEC piston in the saw but had to file inside the piston where the wrist pin passes through in order doe it to fit. If the saw blows up I'll keep you posted haha

Just wanted to transfer some knowledge here. Got the VEC piston in the saw but had to file inside the piston where the wrist pin passes through in order doe it to fit. If the saw blows up I'll keep you posted haha
It's an interference fit, warming up the piston would have sufficed. Filing will most likely result in eventual failure due to the excess play when the saw is running due to heat expansion.

My explanation wasn't very clear after I reread it. I didn't file the bore for the wrist pin. I had to file some of the casting inside the piston in order for it to fit over the connecting rod. Shouldn't be an issue with that should there?

I have no experience with any of the brands above but I will say my buddy has been running lil red barn pistons in several 576xp rebuilds and has been very impressed with them.

Back