ahhh choices choices MS361,MS390,359 Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastwoodGang4

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Get this, my good ol 034 super needed some work. so i tore it apart and made a "parts list" right.... took the list to the local dealer and came up with about 225 and change for parts. ouch. so i went home and ran it by the wifey and out of the blue she says why don't you just buy a new saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get the nicer one so you quit having to buy parts!!!!!! I feel like a 5 year old on Christmas morning:rock: I'm leaning towards the MS361 what do ya think?

nice saw

That is a nice saw... My brother in law has the MS 260 Pro model, carrys it in a tool box in his dump truck..... and he loves it for cutting small brush and limbs. If I had a choice of saws, the Stihl MS 361 would be at the top, but I might have to settle for the MS 290 $$$.

Last edited:
i just got my 359 back up and running after having it beaten up by a coworker. anyway with a non cat muffler there is nothing wrong with the 359 and i know it'll out cut my other coworkers 361.

The 361 is a better choice than the 390 in my opinion. its lighter than the 390
and its antivibration and air filtration system is also alot better. I've never run a 359, but it from people that has had them they would rather have a 357xp instead.

I went to look at buying a 361 I actually had my mind made up, untill I actually handled it. It just didnt feel good in my hands, I didnt feel balanced out to me. It felt cumbersome. I ended up buying a jonsered 2171. I went ahead and stepped up in saw with the money I was saving by not buying the 361. I am sure its a great saw. Its just wasnt for me.

I went to look at buying a 361 I actually had my mind made up, untill I actually handled it. It just didnt feel good in my hands, I didnt feel balanced out to me. It felt cumbersome. I ended up buying a jonsered 2171. I went ahead and stepped up in saw with the money I was saving by not buying the 361. I am sure its a great saw. Its just wasnt for me.

I have used a 361, it was ok, but I like bigger saws. I have a 2171, it isn't that much heavier but is a real nice handling saw, that will blow away a 361. 'Course mine has the wrap and the big dogs, came that way. The only way for a falling saw to be.

How big of wood are you cutting? The 361 is good up to about 20" logs on occasion.

The 359 and 390 are not in the same class as the 361 IMO, I dont really care for either of those saws. The 390 is overpriced, heavy, and all plastic. The 359 is anemic without mods.

If you have $700 you want to spend a Dolmar 7300 will blow all these saws away and weighs the same as a 390. It will also cut up to 24" wood pretty easy.

If you want Stihl get the 361. Husky I would try to find a deal on a 372XP or a 357XP. Dolmar 7300 or 7900 if you have a little extra cash

on the 359 all you need to do is get rid of the etechness of it, IE get rid of the cat muff.

just for shats and giggles saturday (after finally getting around to putting it back together friday night) instead of using my 371xp on the 24 in dbh oak i took down i used the 359 when it came time to buck up the wood.

that little bastid is a beast. now that it can breathe it eats wood. so well in fact that i would say that for the four hundredish dollars for a brand new 359 with another 40$ on a muffler it is such a better value for 59 cc's worth of saw than the 361. 600 plus dollars last time i checked on that stihl.

now i might be a little biased about my 359 because i paid 200 for it off craigs list. it was a pallet saw before i got to it and the thing was in damn near mint shape when i got it. hahahahaha

anyway. yes i know that the 359 isnt a true pro saw but if you dont beat on your sh1t then it'll last a long enough time to get your money out of it.

my mistake was allowing someone else (coworker) to use my saw hence the reason it was in a box for 4 months before i got around to finally finding out what a good saw this is. especially for the money.

whatever though, what would i know? i only cut with saws for a living.

Well, I am not sure about the other saws as I have never used any of them, but I DID just buy a 361 and used it yesterday to drop and cut 2 trees for approx 2 cord and did it ever run. I felt like a 10 yr old kid that just saw his sexy neighbor naked. I love it already, great running saw, plenty of power, cut those trees up in no time at all. 361 for the win.

Thanks

Hey thanks fellas, and fellers. especailly from those that use these saws day in and day out. you guys really know your saws. I only cut for heat wood. I'm just looking for a quality saw that will last for years and years with few problems. By the time i'm done fixing my 034 super I could have bought a nice new shiny saw.:buttkick: much more than 60cc is overkill for me. Question for the Husky guys. Is the "xp" line the pro version Im not real familiar with husky saws. And where are dolmar saws sold? I have never come across a dolmar dealer around NE ohio.

Go to the Dolmar website and do a search. Otherwise one of the site sponsers sells them. In my area there are two dealers, one is a moron and the other is actually a rental place that can order any saw I would want but no stock or service.

I was looking at buying a firewood saw last month. I bought a MS310 for a few reasons. 1. I had a $400 budget for a saw. 2. Dealer support is important to me. 3. Reliability was key in the decision making.

The budget was what I was willing to spend on a saw. I do this to save money on utilities. The more I spend on a saw the less I save. There are no lack of Stihl dealers. Nearest Husky was 44 miles. Dolmar is above. Several Stihl dealers I've talked to have hardly any of the 290/310/390 ever come back for service. The 361 is another matter but mainly due to the type of consumer that purchases each saw.

Matt

Stihl MS 361

Well, I am not sure about the other saws as I have never used any of them, but I DID just buy a 361 and used it yesterday to drop and cut 2 trees for approx 2 cord and did it ever run. I felt like a 10 yr old kid that just saw his sexy neighbor naked. I love it already, great running saw, plenty of power, cut those trees up in no time at all. 361 for the win.

+1, QFT! The MS 361 Rocks!

Latest posts

Back