Air flow in the house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told I would not like a wood stove. The neighbor and others said hot and cold areas in the house. I put one in anyway. Everybody thought I was crazy to put a $2700 quadrafire 5700 in my house. That stove is awsome and it heats my 2800 sq ft home perfectly. My stove sits on the first floor at the far end of the house. The heat moves up the first staircase close to the stove then through all the the bedrooms and back down the second stairs at the opposite side of the house and back to the stove. 73 deg in stove room now, 70 deg in first bedroom and 65 in the master bedroom. The air eally moves if I get it started. I run up the steps and through the bedrooms and down the other steps a couple times and the air is started in a really nice flow through the house.

Do you flap your arms too:wink2:

I just woke the missus up laughing at that:msp_rolleyes:

Glad you didn't listen to your neighbours though:rock:

I was told I would not like a wood stove. The neighbor and others said hot and cold areas in the house. I put one in anyway. Everybody thought I was crazy to put a $2700 quadrafire 5700 in my house. That stove is awsome and it heats my 2800 sq ft home perfectly. My stove sits on the first floor at the far end of the house. The heat moves up the first staircase close to the stove then through all the the bedrooms and back down the second stairs at the opposite side of the house and back to the stove. 73 deg in stove room now, 70 deg in first bedroom and 65 in the master bedroom. The air eally moves if I get it started. I run up the steps and through the bedrooms and down the other steps a couple times and the air is started in a really nice flow through the house.

LMFAO!!!!!!!! That is awesome! The mental image of that is great! LOL!

Before I did anything I’d want to determine how the air was flowing right now… you need a baseline to start with. That’s easy to do… just cut some tissue paper in narrow strips and hang them in the doorways and opening of your home. You’ll need one strip at the top and one at the bottom of each opening. The top is easy, a little piece of scotch tape… for the bottom one, split paint stir sticks into three or four pieces and use them to hold the tissue away from the door frame. The reason you need one at both the top and bottom is because air flowing out the top may be equal to air flowing in the bottom, or maybe not.

First hang them and take note of air flow direction(s).
Next, try turning on different exhaust fans and exhausting appliances (bathroom vent fan, cloths dryer, furnace if you use it, open the door on your wood stove, etc.), and note the changes.
Then, after you have your baseline, try cracking your different windows, open basement door, open the door on your wood stove, open and close bedroom doors, etc.

I believe you’ll be surprised how much difference tiny, subtle changes will make.

Something to keep in mind…
The only “air” being heated directly by a wood stove is the air actually coming in direct contact with it. Most of the heat is radiant… radiant heat passes through air without heating it (or, or at least not enough to make any real difference). Radiant heat warms solid surfaces such as furniture, walls and such… and in turn those surfaces warm the air directly contacting them.

Before I did anything I’d want to determine how the air was flowing right now… you need a baseline to start with. That’s easy to do… just cut some tissue paper in narrow strips and hang them in the doorways and opening of your home. You’ll need one strip at the top and one at the bottom of each opening. The top is easy, a little piece of scotch tape… for the bottom one, split paint stir sticks into three or four pieces and use them to hold the tissue away from the door frame. The reason you need one at both the top and bottom is because air flowing out the top may be equal to air flowing in the bottom, or maybe not.

First hang them and take note of air flow direction(s).
Next, try turning on different exhaust fans and exhausting appliances (bathroom vent fan, cloths dryer, furnace if you use it, open the door on your wood stove, etc.), and note the changes.
Then, after you have your baseline, try cracking your different windows, open basement door, open the door on your wood stove, open and close bedroom doors, etc.

I believe you’ll be surprised how much difference tiny, subtle changes will make.

I like that idea -- thanks! I've been using stick incense - and watching the smoke flow. It's interesting to watch as it goes through a doorway or into a hall which way it goes (up or down or just stops). Granted, it disperses too quickly to see anything past 2 feet depending on the draft/draw speed. And, your right - little changes change dynamics (and incense adds a little different smell) :dizzy:

A basic law of physics states: Molecules move from area of high concentration, to areas of low concentration.

Latest posts

Back