All depends soap box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_marine

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Now noted that I have not been on here much. But I have read alot of posts about "Does this wood burn good?" Or "How long does it take for this wood to season?"

I admit; I have to laugh my but off at most of these. Same goes with "How good is this stove?"

Lets look at these 3 things.

"Does this wood burn good?"-
How well sealed up is your stove? That is the first question I would have to ask. If it is not sealed up good then the majority of your heat is heading up the stack. How well is your house insulated?

"How long does it take for this wood to season?"-
Stored out side? Cut, split, and stacked? Stored under a tarp? What is the humidity in the area? What is the temp where the wood is stored?

The point of this post is there are too many varaibles when it comes to wood, stoves, and heating a house. I have a book that I am looking for here at the house. It compares different types of wood and the heat out put. Also compares some wood to coal. I will post them when I get a chance. I have 32 different customers that buy wood off of me. A couple will not burn any walnut but love hack berry. Some like walnut but will not take any hack berry. Then there are my out door burners that will take anything I can get them as long as it is green. And the greener the better.

I feel better now. I think I will step off of the soap box for now.

Ray

Regardless of how many times it gets answered, it will get asked again. Kind'a like the "Which oil is best for my saw?" threads in the chainsaw forum.

New members come here daily and if they havent seen it asked or the question hasn't been answered to their satisfaction they ask. It happens. Being the helpful folks that we are, we answer.

I keep reading them thinking there might be some different answeres for a change. Eh :dunno: I have yet to read where anyone has reponded to the seasoning question with " Precisely as long as it takes to get from the woods to my stove, regardless of how long it spends in the stack. "

:cheers:

Regardless of how many times it gets answered, it will get asked again. Kind'a like the "Which oil is best for my saw?" threads in the chainsaw forum.

New members come here daily and if they havent seen it asked or the question hasn't been answered to their satisfaction they ask. It happens. Being the helpful folks that we are, we answer.

I keep reading them thinking there might be some different answeres for a change. Eh :dunno: I have yet to read where anyone has reponded to the seasoning question with " Precisely as long as it takes to get from the woods to my stove, regardless of how long it spends in the stack. "

:cheers:
Good post, As long as their are new members coming and going there will be the same questions ask. the newbies don't realize it's been ask a million times. Hopefully after they learn the answers they can reply to those questions.

Good post, As long as their are new members coming and going there will be the same questions ask. the newbies don't realize it's been ask a million times. Hopefully after they learn the answers they can reply to those questions.

Dunno about the rest of ya's, but that is what I live for....

:dizzy:

.....there should be another general staement in this thread.
Your wood can only make the btu's your heater ie....owb,stove,fireplace or furnace is capable of making.
Not all wood burners can make all of the btu's that are able to be made and"exchanged" into useable heats.

Burn rates(cycled),flue gas temps(draft speeds),thermal mass(brick or water),secondary burn(gassier/cad),heat exchanger surface area all have something to do with making and exchanging btu's.

It doesn't matter how wet the wood is...if the unit can not make all of the btu's and exchange all of the btu's the rest is sorta mute.
Yes, starting with well seasoned wood will give you the oppertunity to achieve the maximum heats,but the burner needs to be considered in what it can or can not do.

Last edited:
Now noted that I have not been on here much. But I have read alot of posts about "Does this wood burn good?" Or "How long does it take for this wood to season?"

I admit; I have to laugh my but off at most of these. Same goes with "How good is this stove?"

Lets look at these 3 things.

"Does this wood burn good?"-
How well sealed up is your stove? That is the first question I would have to ask. If it is not sealed up good then the majority of your heat is heading up the stack. How well is your house insulated?

"How long does it take for this wood to season?"-
Stored out side? Cut, split, and stacked? Stored under a tarp? What is the humidity in the area? What is the temp where the wood is stored?

The point of this post is there are too many varaibles when it comes to wood, stoves, and heating a house. I have a book that I am looking for here at the house. It compares different types of wood and the heat out put. Also compares some wood to coal. I will post them when I get a chance. I have 32 different customers that buy wood off of me. A couple will not burn any walnut but love hack berry. Some like walnut but will not take any hack berry. Then there are my out door burners that will take anything I can get them as long as it is green. And the greener the better.

I feel better now. I think I will step off of the soap box for now.

Ray

:agree2:

I don't mind the questions much. We were all newbies once. What bothers me is some of the answers.

"Wood takes 17 years to season!"

Really? Always? In every climate? No matter what the storage conditions? No matter what time of year it was cut?

Wow.

:monkey:

The people around here who like to burn green wood are the ones with owb's. They think they get longer burn time out of green wood thus saving on wood. To me they are just wasting wood. Burn half of it just to get the water out before it starts to make real heat.

The people around here who like to burn green wood are the ones with owb's. They think they get longer burn time out of green wood thus saving on wood. To me they are just wasting wood. Burn half of it just to get the water out before it starts to make real heat.

I agree with you all on that one. But I give the customer what they want. I don't mind. The price is the same. I just don't have to have it around to season out.

Ray

heck by the title I thought it would be about btu's of depends.

Absolutely, you must allow your depends to season correctly.

.....that's easy....drape over the fence for a day.

Then there are my out door burners that will take anything I can get them as long as it is green. And the greener the better.

But do Depends come in green?

You're all fools. Fools. Fools. Every pro burner knows that Red/Soft Depends takes 2 years to season. We've done it for too long to count.:dizzy:

Back