"all mixes covered" oil How does it work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUDGE1162

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see "all mixes covered" oil at the store it says will cover anything from 20:1 to 50:1 ratios by adding the same about to a gallon of gas.

First how does this work it seems to mix at a 50:1 ratio (actual amount of oil to gas ratio) so how does it work in motors that take 20:1 or 32:1 ratios.

Is this stuff any good, I have a few 2 cycle motors and presently keep a couple of gas cans, is it possible to go to one gas can (It would keep my fuel fresher) instead of one can that last me a month or two per motor I could use a new mix every few weeks, plus less storage and don't have to worry about "others" putting the wrong fuel in the wrong motor

I run it in everything. I should have added in the other post that if I were running a high end saw on a CSM then I would probably not run this stuff. I think it is fine for my weedwhacker/ leaf blower and for my chainsaws. I have an old crapsman, a homolite ps33 and a McCulloch Timber bear. They were all free saws and I really don't have any money into them. That being said, I also don't want any of them to blow up. They are all good running saws now and I keep them that way. I am planning to do the muffler mod on the homey and the McCulloch. I may change oils for those two saws, but I am not sure. The McCulloch is on my CSM and I should probably run a high quality oil in it, but I haven't had a single problem with what I am running. I would love to hear others stories, thinking that maybe there are problems related to this stuff and I haven't heard anything. I currently run "Promix" oil if I remember correctly. It's convenient because I don't have gas sitting around all summer. I use a gallon a week if I am doing yard work and running the mill. Gas stays fresh.
Could all of this be attributed to it being a quality synthetic 2 stroke oil? Probably not, but it has been working for me, so I can't complain.

All you need is 1 gas can with a good oil mix for all your 2-cycle equipment. It doesnt matter what the machine says, you need to go by the oil mix you buy.

Same goes for cars/trucks, they may reccomend 10W-30 but you can run a different blend and not have a problem.

Just use a good mix and you will be fine.

stckciv said:
Same goes for cars/trucks, they may recommend 10W-30 but you can run a different blend and not have a problem.
I have read several places that the newer cars and trucks that recommend lower viscosity blends, like 5W20, have engines that are designed specifically for those thinner oils. They get better gas mileage with them for one thing. Not sure I'd second guess them on that one.

woodshop said:
I have read several places that the newer cars and trucks that recommend lower viscosity blends, like 5W20, have engines that are designed specifically for those thinner oils. They get better gas mileage with them for one thing. Not sure I'd second guess them on that one.

Newer vehicles had to meet CAFE standards. Part of the design stratagy to meet these fuel economy standards includes running a thinner oil. Newer engines are designed with clearances to get proper oil pressure and oiling into bearings with the recommended 5W-20 oils. The oiling systems were not designed for heavier viscosity oils.

I agree that following the auto manufactures recommended oil weight is in ones best interest. You can run a different blend and "not have problems". But when problems are premature wear-out instead of immediate failure, how do you define a "problem"? For my autos, I go the other way and use the recommended weight in synthetic (Mobile-1) changed at 3000 miles. I've not since had an engine wear out (burning oil or power loss) from lubrication issues and I keep everything for a few hundred thousand miles.

Very interesting, but I was more interested in chainsaw/2 cycle motor oiling

From what I see so far, I guess we should advoid this stuff in our saws, I might try it in the weedwacker and my eager beaver saw, but stick to the good stuff for the Husky saws

I guess I'm the only person that runs it. Hmmm, that doesn't look too good I guess. I'm going to keep using it. I'll let everyone know if I ever have any problems. So far, so good. I even run it while milling, so it must be doing a good job of keeping things lubed. I will repeat that if I was running a high end saw to mill with then I'd probably be running a high end lube as well.

If it isnt good then why run it in any of your equipment? Just get a good oil and run it in everything.

The Mobil MX2T is a good oil and you would only need 1 can for all of your 2-cycle equipment.

Aha, here in lies the problem. I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with it either. I wouldn't say that it isn't good stuff. It is an all synthetic lube and works well for me. I don't know that there is anything wrong with it to be honest. I am surprised that noone uses it, or they just afraid to say they use it? Hopefully more people will chime in on this one.

stckciv said:
If it isnt good then why run it in any of your equipment? Just get a good oil and run it in everything.

The Mobil MX2T is a good oil and you would only need 1 can for all of your 2-cycle equipment.

:clap: There you are! 40:1 MX2T or Echo Semi-Synthetic (bought a lot of it a while back, still finishing it up) goes in all my power equipment and everything is happy as can be.

twoodward15 said:
Aha, here in lies the problem. I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with it either. I wouldn't say that it isn't good stuff. It is an all synthetic lube and works well for me. I don't know that there is anything wrong with it to be honest. I am surprised that noone uses it, or they just afraid to say they use it? Hopefully more people will chime in on this one.

My comment wasnt for you, if you like it and you can get it easy I dont see a problem with it. I just dont understand people with 5 gas cans with 5 different mixes.

Hm, velly intalesting, don't think I'll be testing this product in my old beast which requires 20-25:1 as I have the feeling it might be to hot for it, so I'll be sticking with a good high quality oil mixed at the rec'd ratio. I may have missed it but does this stuff mix at 50:1? Nice to be able to have just one mixture for all uses but I'd still be careful with older machines needing a richer blend. This is as much a question as opinion.

the older machines will run fine on same fuel as new equipment, which nowadays runs at 2,5% (recommended)... the reason why old saws "require" heavier mix is that recommendations for OLD SAWS are from time when you used to mix MOTOR oil into gas, therefore due to poor oil used they required heavier mix...

Opti-2 has been tested by ISO (International Standards Organization) to their highest test for 2 cycle oil, 150:1 for 3 hours wide open, no wear. I'd run it at their as packaged ratio of about 70:1 in all but my ported saws then I'd be a little cowardly and fell safer at 50:1. So in the interest of simplicity, I run everything on 50:1 Opti-2. Mobil 1 is a fine product but didn't have dye in it when I was using it so that made me a little nervous.

I work for the NC Forest Service.
Recently we had our water handling class (S-211) where we learned to operate wildland firefighting pumps.

The most common portable pump is the Mark 3, an old tried and true 2 cycle 185cc design.
They taught us that you MUST use a 16:1 mix.
They also preach that when you operate one you MUST ALWAYS bring a wire brush and extra spark plugs...and none of the instructors could tell me why the spark plugs keep fouling up...Duh:bang:

You try to tell them that newer oils are better than the older ones but they don't want to hear it.

Opti-2 has been tested by ISO (International Standards Organization) to their highest test for 2 cycle oil
ISO sets standards and doesnt do any testing of their own. I also doubt despite what Opti claims that their oil would meet the latest ISO and by defalt JASO tests.
FWIW ISO EGD is a standard, not a rating like JASO FC is. To be a JASO FC certified oil it must be tested by JASO and they provide a certification number upon completion. Last time I checked Opti wasnt on the list. However, both Citgo air cooled, and Echo powerblend where certified. Neither company is making any snakeoilish claims like Opti does.

the stuff i had said "and "x" amount of oil for 30:1 and "y" for 40:1 and "z" for 50:1" each letter of course being a differnt amount of oil and you use 1 gallon of gas for each mix.

ironpig70 said:
the stuff i had said "and "x" amount of oil for 30:1 and "y" for 40:1 and "z" for 50:1" each letter of course being a differnt amount of oil and you use 1 gallon of gas for each mix.

That is the standard oil, which many of us use, but there are products that says add one packet or one bottle per 1 gallon of gas and it covers all ratios

Back